Is this a legitimate gym or mcdojo

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
but it doesnt communicate music, does it ?

What does that matter? It 'can be used as a record of, a guide to, or a means to perform, a song or piece of music. Sheet music enables instrumental performers who are able to read music notation (a pianist, orchestral instrument players, a jazz band, etc.) or singers to perform a song or piece.'

It is a record, guide or a means to performance.. which you lack. Congrats on sticking up for yourself and not learning something. I prefer my approach, and will leave you to your ignorance.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What does that matter? It 'can be used as a record of, a guide to, or a means to perform, a song or piece of music. Sheet music enables instrumental performers who are able to read music notation (a pianist, orchestral instrument players, a jazz band, etc.) or singers to perform a song or piece.'

It is a record, guide or a means to performance.. which you lack. Congrats on sticking up for yourself and not learning something. I prefer my approach, and will leave you to your ignorance.
Brendan, I just have to tell you that you will have to 'learn' how to take Jobo just like the rest of us have.
He is sort of like a unwound clock, he will be right every so often.:)

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh rest assured I was lurking for years before I ever posted here.. I'm familiar. In fact I'm very impressed by his wordplay on this thread. And he has made his position perfectly clear. My thanks for the qualification though!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

well congrats, you finally bothered to look up tge defintion and it dosnt say its a language, does it?

so its a record guide or means of performance, but its not the only record, guide or means of performance, so im not lacking any of those, i just use a different record guide or means of performance

what i use is a musical recording, which is also a record, guide or means of performance, in many ways a better one

sheet music had a mass market before the invention of the gramophone, i suspect there may be a connection between those two

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well congrats, you finally bothered to look up tge defintion and it dosnt say its a language, does it?

so its a record guide or means of performance, but its not the only record, guide or means of performance, so im not lacking any of those, i just use a different record guide or means of performance

what i use is a musical recording, which is also a record, guide or means of performance, in many ways a better one

sheet music had a mass market before the invention of the gramophone, i suspect there may be a connection between those two

There is a difference between being able to do something and being able to do something well.

Reading music means you are more versatile in being able to play an instrument. It opens you up to more opportunities to play and essentially gives you more depth.

But this is a different subject what you want to achieve. And you are confusing the two.

Saying methods of learning music or training in martial arts do not have validity because you don't want to to be very good at those subjects isn't really accurate because your personal investment in a subject doesn't change the subject. It just changes you.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a difference between being able to do something and being able to do something well.

Reading music means you are more versatile in being able to play an instrument. It opens you up to more opportunities to play and essentially gives you more depth.

But this is a different subject what you want to achieve. And you are confusing the two.

Saying methods of learning music or training in martial arts do not have validity because you don't want to to be very good at those subjects isn't really accurate because your personal investment in a subject doesn't change the subject. It just changes you.
it doesnt make any differance at all to how well you can play, its only really makes any difference if someone requests a tune youve never heard and they happen to have the sheet music that they carry around just incase they meet a guitarist who never heard of it, ive never seem that happen,they usually want to hum it to you

but as i only play things ive practiced, ussially be bob dylan requesting ode to joy wont get them any joy anyway, im not a jukebox

nb i can play ode to joy, i just wouldnt on principle

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it doesnt make any differance at all to how well you can play, its only really makes any difference if someone requests a tune youve never heard and they happen to have the sheet music that they carry around just incase they meet a guitarist who never heard of it, ive never seem that happen,they usually want to hum it to you

but as i only play things ive practiced, ussially be bob dylan requesting ode to joy wont get them any joy anyway, im not a jukebox

nb i can play ode to joy, i just wouldnt on principle

It makes a difference to how you play if you are trying to read sheet music.

Now if that doesn't matter to you. That doesn't change the dynamics.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It makes a difference to how you play if you are trying to read sheet music.

Now if that doesn't matter to you. That doesn't change the dynamics.
well it can make you worse, i play with my eyes shut, it doesnt however make you better, your really obliged to have learnt it before you play it to an audience

a lot of very sucessfull and accomplished " perfomers cant read music

the beatles for instance, they( pm( were quoted as saying they couldnt see the point if it, so they didnt bother, thats good enough for me, if we are doing appeals to aurthorit.

back in the late 70s i did three gigs playing base in a punk band, we went down quite well to a few hundred paying spectator's

before creative differeances, meant i left the band, they thought i should know more than three cords and should occasionally play them in a,different order (and should turn up to band practice), i thought that was over kill to be honest and having more than a passing resemblance to joey romone, was more than enought to make up for my musical limitations , fortunately they didnt go on to fame and fortune with out me

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes you did, you said it wasnt part of the english language till after it was a technical term, which in its own right is a daft thing to say
Maybe go back and actually read the posts. You've made at least two really significant mistakes in that post.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive read it twice now and thats two more than i normaly devote to you ramblings,
Then you might need to re-read your own posts. There's a serious disconnect between what you quoted and what you claimed.

Or, just maybe, you made a claim you know isn't accurate, and are trying to deflect by quoting something and saying, "See? There it is!" Which you do kind of a lot when you know you've lost your point.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then you might need to re-read your own posts. There's a serious disconnect between what you quoted and what you claimed.

Or, just maybe, you made a claim you know isn't accurate, and are trying to deflect by quoting something and saying, "See? There it is!" Which you do kind of a lot when you know you've lost your point.
ive seldom lost a point and even less frequently know it, it just old news, i cant be bothered being sucked into your self justification rant, you know what you said was silly, if you want to bluster your way out , im good with that, no need to fret

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive seldom lost a point and even less frequently know it, it just old news, i cant be bothered being sucked into your self justification rant, you know what you said was silly, if you want to bluster your way out , im good with that, no need to fret
That'd be less funny if you were actually managing to argue against what I actually said. :D

Latest Discussions