Is this a legitimate gym or mcdojo

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
as a paying customer, you really should have the moral right to be instructed in the language of the country the instruction is taking place, going to japan and insisting on english may be pushing it to far, but if they have the capacity to provided an english translation they really should

when my instructor uses japanese, i look at him blankly till he provides it in english, if he didnt i would still be stood there at the end of class and would then go somewhere else that was more accommodating

i have no wish at all to learn a few words of japanese or any Japanese for that matter( i maxed out my useful requirment with karaoke) and unless someone can make a case that kicks are better if called something else, i cant see any good reason to go to the bother
You non-conformist you.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The same way you would explain anything that doesn't have a comparable concept.

What do you call a computer?
computer are some what different, everyone in the world calls them computers, most invention of recent time only have one international name even where there is a name that could be used, it seldom is,
asking for a vacuum clearner will get you a vacumm cleaner in just about any shop on earth

i stream the formula one races from around the globe and am often suprised how easy it is to follow the commentary

the Chinese phrase for pit stop, is pit stop

the Uzbekistan for over take is over take,

the Malaysian for red flag is red flag

its only the french that wont cooperate,

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone else notice the OP never responded back since the first post? Yet there have been 4 pages of responses. :D
That sounds about right. What's the topic now? Did the conversation stay on track? lol

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as a paying customer, you really should have the moral right to be instructed in the language of the country the instruction is taking place, going to japan and insisting on english may be pushing it to far, but if they have the capacity to provided an english translation they really should

when my instructor uses japanese, i look at him blankly till he provides it in english, if he didnt i would still be stood there at the end of class and would then go somewhere else that was more accommodating

i have no wish at all to learn a few words of japanese or any Japanese for that matter( i maxed out my useful requirment with karaoke) and unless someone can make a case that kicks are better if called something else, i cant see any good reason to go to the bother
I’m not sure I agree entirely, though I think I agree with the concept you have in mind. As a potential paying customer, you have the right to choose a place that teaches the way you prefer. I don’t think that translates to getting to make that request if you choose a place that does otherwise.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m not sure I agree entirely, though I think I agree with the concept you have in mind. As a potential paying customer, you have the right to choose a place that teaches the way you prefer. I don’t think that translates to getting to make that request if you choose a place that does otherwise.
there doesnt seem any issue with making the request, is there ? ? i didnt actualy ask, i just look at him dumbfounded till he uses english, to be fair i do seem to have trained him now

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there doesnt seem any issue with making the request, is there ? ? i didnt actualy ask, i just look at him dumbfounded till he uses english, to be fair i do seem to have trained him now
I wouldn’t go into a fabric shop and demand they carry shoes. If I want shoes, I’ll go to a shoe shop.

Now, asking for a definition or translation when you don’t know the terminology is fine. But at some point you need to learn it, because it’s the common usage for communication within the group you chose to join. It doesn’t matter whether the terminology in question is Japanese, Spanish, or English. Would you stare dumbly at a boxing coach until he calls a hook something else, just to assert yourself?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
computer are some what different, everyone in the world calls them computers, most invention of recent time only have one international name even where there is a name that could be used, it seldom is,
asking for a vacuum clearner will get you a vacumm cleaner in just about any shop on earth

i stream the formula one races from around the globe and am often suprised how easy it is to follow the commentary

the Chinese phrase for pit stop, is pit stop

the Uzbekistan for over take is over take,

the Malaysian for red flag is red flag

its only the french that wont cooperate,

We had a coach that was fresh of the boat who asked for the English translation of Triangle.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go into a fabric shop and demand they carry shoes. If I want shoes, I’ll go to a shoe shop.

Now, asking for a definition or translation when you don’t know the terminology is fine. But at some point you need to learn it, because it’s the common usage for communication within the group you chose to join. It doesn’t matter whether the terminology in question is Japanese, Spanish, or English. Would you stare dumbly at a boxing coach until he calls a hook something else, just to assert yourself?
thats not the same at all, i would however insist they sold me shoes usibg English, rather than me having to learn urdu

and clearly i didnt need to learn it,

i have an ongo issue at the chess club were they insist i record my moves using chess languidge, im not doing that either

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats not the same at all, i would however insist they sold me shoes usibg English, rather than me having to learn urdu

and clearly i didnt need to learn it,

i have an ongo issue at the chess club were they insist i record my moves using chess languidge, im not doing that either
IMO, it's exactly the same thing. You don't like the terms they use, so you're demanding they use others, rather than being bothered to learn theirs. I'm not sure why you train there if you don't like their approach.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO, it's exactly the same thing. You don't like the terms they use, so you're demanding they use others, rather than being bothered to learn theirs. I'm not sure why you train there if you don't like their approach.
well no, it isnt that i dont like the terms, its that i dont understand the terms and have no intention of teaching myself either Japanese urdu or chess notation, unless soneone can give me an advantageous reason why i should

if im paying for a service, that service should be conducted in a languidge i understand, i dont have to learn turkish to order a meal in a turkish restaurant, they would go bust if they tried it

Last edited:

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well no, it isnt that i dont like the terms, its that i dont understand the terms and have no intention of teaching myself either Japanese urdu or chess notation, unless soneone can give me an advantageous reason why i should

if im paying for a service, that service should be conducted in a languidge i understand, i dont have to learn turkish to order a meal in a turkish restaurant, they would go bust if they tried it

Communication exists because we are not alone. The 'advantageous reason you should' is so you are able to participate in activities with others.

We are not discussing purchasing a meal, we are discussing learning something from another person. A more accurate analogy would be you purchasing guitar lessons and refusing to learn to read music. You'd go bust if you tried.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Communication exists because we are not alone. The 'advantageous reason you should' is so you are able to participate in activities with others.

We are not discussing purchasing a meal, we are discussing learning something from another person. A more accurate analogy would be you purchasing guitar lessons and refusing to learn to read music. You'd go bust if you tried.
and all the others speak english even the few who are not, so its no bar to comunication, in fact some have thanked me as they found it confusing as well and those who know the japanese terms can still go around being smug and feeling superior , so its win win

nb i also took guitar lession with out learning to read music, that didnt seem a problem either

Last edited:

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
and all the others speak english even the few who are not, so its no bar to comunication, in fact some have thanked me as they found it confusing as well and those who know the japanese terms can still go around being smug and feeling superior , so its win win

nb i also took guitar lession with out learning to read music, that didnt seem a problem either

So if I handed you a piece of sheet music - you know, the language musicians communicate through - you'd have no problem playing that on the guitar?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, you don't like the terms. If you didn't like "hook", you'd demand a different word. Got it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll bet you had to learn some new terminology, though, didn't you?
yes in english, g being an english letter and id already got the hang of that when i was 5
im strugling to think if any new terminology required

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes in english, g being an english letter and id already got the hang of that when i was 5
im strugling to think if any new terminology required
You already knew what the parts of the guitar were (fret, bridge, etc.), what a capo was, and so forth? You didn't learn the names of any picking patterns?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You already knew what the parts of the guitar were (fret, bridge, etc.), what a capo was, and so forth? You didn't learn the names of any picking patterns?
yes most of thise fall under general knowledge, string, tune strum even syncopated,

no i learn cords in English, g,f,e etc

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So if I handed you a piece of sheet music - you know, the language musicians communicate through - you'd have no problem playing that on the guitar?
if i was handed a peice of paper with the cords writen on i could with a few minets of practice play that so it ws both pleasant to the ear and recognisable as any particular popular tune, if it was classical guitar music id have to give it back, if it was something id never heard they would need to play it for me first

you can play most things with 4 cords and just about everything with 7, you cant of course make an acustic gutar sound like an electric guitar, so its always different, but hopefully recognisable as the tune your attempting

im better than bob Dylan, and it didnt seem to hold him back, in fact i stand up quite well against a lot of " musicians " if they are playing unplugged

Last edited:

Latest Discussions