Is there a proper way to do a gong sau?

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere about a very reputable self defense instructor about how to deal with challenges. He actually accepts challenges but only if the challenger signs a wavier that allows the instructor to use any means necessary including firearms to defeat the challenger without any legal repercussions. He is not kidding either.

If a gong sau does happen these days, then waivers are probably signed.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere about a very reputable self defense instructor about how to deal with challenges. He actually accepts challenges but only if the challenger signs a wavier that allows the instructor to use any means necessary including firearms to defeat the challenger without any legal repercussions. He is not kidding either.

If a gong sau does happen these days, then waivers are probably signed.

You are probably thinking of Sammy Franco. The waiver etc. was supposed to be tongue in cheek pointing out the differences between an agreed upon match and the realities of what may happen in the street.

Here is the actual challenge he posted...

Sammy Franco's Open Challenge
If you walk into my school or seminar and challenge me to a fight, you must agree to the following:
1. You must sign a detailed waiver and release absolving me of any criminal or civil liability in the event of your death. This signature will be observed by three witness and then notarized.
2. The fight will be video taped by my associates and I will be permitted to published, distribute and otherwise disseminate this tape to anyone I choose. Photographs are also permitted and may be distributed at my discretion. Your name will also be distributed.
3. There will only be only one rule in the fight which is THERE ARE NO RULES! This is not a BJJ awareness challenge or a "my style is better than your style" match. My objective is simple - I will do anything and everything to injure, kill or severely cripple you. When I say, no rules, I mean...NO RULES. I can use anything from a knife to a kitchen sink to destroy my opponent. I can have my buddies work you over with baseball bats when we are both locked up on the ground or I can pull out my 9 mm and blow your brains out.
4. If you lose you must financially compensate me in the amount of $10,000 US dollars. I am a professional and I want to be paid for my time.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You are probably thinking of Sammy Franco. The waiver etc. was supposed to be tongue in cheek pointing out the differences between an agreed upon match and the realities of what may happen in the street.

Here is the actual challenge he posted...

That's the guy.

Whether it was tongue in cheek or not, he made his point about the differences. I have to agree with him.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You would have to be a complete idiot to accept those conditions, so he can claim he will accept any and all challenges if you agree to his conditions, but no one ever will. So now he can claim no one ever has the guts to challenge him.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You would have to be a complete idiot to accept those conditions, so he can claim he will accept any and all challenges if you agree to his conditions, but no one ever will. So now he can claim no one ever has the guts to challenge him.
It's just a way of drumming up business.
Sean

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
No matter the conditions and with the way our society is today, you would have to be a complete idiot to issue a gong sau at all. I have participated in them in the past and they NEVER come out good in the end.

The way things are today, you are going to get seriously hurt or maimed or killed or SUED!!!

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No matter the conditions and with the way our society is today, you would have to be a complete idiot to issue a gong sau at all. I have participated in them in the past and they NEVER come out good in the end.

The way things are today, you are going to get seriously hurt or maimed or killed or SUED!!!

What was it like? Did you give the invitation or was the invitation given to you?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
What was it like? Did you give the invitation or was the invitation given to you?

I was "invited" to participate. What was it like? Not fun at all. There is no good outcome in a gong sau....................ever!!

I know I stated part of my opinion, but I will make another. Gong Sau is for people who are not mature or for people with tooooo much ego. If another feels the need to issue a Gong Sau, they need to rethink why they are training in the first place. There are some who try to justify it for varying reasons and they are never truly good reasons. Ego seems to get in the way of many a people's training. There are all kinds of competitions that are available to settle differences these days, so "dojo storming/gong sau/etc." have no place in society. This is not the dark ages.

Latest Discussions