Is the desire to open a Studio attractive to anyone ?

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was very young in the art all I wanted to do was open a studio. It fueled my "meteoric" :rolleyes: rise to Green Belt.

Now, it seems primarily like a good way to starve to death and get lots of criticism for being the martial arts equivalent of a lady of the night.
:shrug:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it was my dream and so i opened ten years ago! We are still thriving and growing today and it is something that i have never regretted. it is lots of work, there have been lots of ups and downs, there are many who don't realize just how difficult it is, especially to do it with another job and a family, but it has all been worth it for me. The students and friends and training experiences that i have gained have made it more than worth it.

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr. C and other fellow Kenpoists,

It has always and still is a dream of mine to open my own Kenpo school. For years, I have always wondered what my school would be like... the people, the atmosphere, the energy... and slowly but surely I will one day realize it.

It is one thing in my life that means everything to me for the simple reason of sharing the Art with others and providing them with a home to train in, to meet others with the same passion for Kenpo. I had that as a student and I just want to give back.

I think the dream still lives within alot of us... I hope it does!

Good journey!

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
At one time, it was the dream of most martial artists... but is that dream still alive like it used to be?

No! I like teaching, but running a school is way too much trouble! I would rather teach out of someone elses school...:D

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm with Paul on this one. I would much rather help at the school than run one. I have watched my instructor go through some tough times and don't envy him.

don

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would love to have my own school!!! But there are several things that stop me at this time. The 2 main one's being money and I don't feel that my skill level is even close right now. I really enjoy teaching, but sometime I question my ability to even do that. I ran the morning classes for my instructor twice a week for almost a year and had a blast. Maybe in another 2 or 3 years it could be a reality, my instructor has definitely given me a lot of support.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
At one time, it was the dream of most martial artists... but is that dream still alive like it used to be?
It's very attractive to me!!!
I've got a ways to go in some aspects, but I'm keeping the dream alive!

Your Bro
John

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with some of the others in which I love to teach. Besides the best way to learn is to teach. Opening and maintaining a studio looks to be a lot of hard work. Not that I would mind a challenge but there are many many obstacles to owning/maintaining a studio.:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

DC,

Good Question. If I may reply as a Non-Kenpo practitioner? The art, I think does not matter to this questions at hand. :)

I think that teaching is an early goal of many. Then the student either gets too busy in life or they actully see what is happening in their own school. The amount of hours the owner puts in, the overall cost for the building and the utilities, the stress and and negative side of running a business, any small business for that matter.

It is hard work and many over time see that. Many I know have gone the route that Seig and Tess are doing now. They have full time occupations and open a club, and work to make it successful so that one day they can only 'Work' at the club.

Best Regards
:asian:

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do enjoy teaching and usually teach twice a week, or more, at my instructors school. I also would like to open a school. However, I feel my training is more important than opening a school at this time. I've had quite a few ask me if I will open my own school. I usually tell them I have a lot more to learn before I do.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
During my black belt test my instructor asked me how I envisioned teaching in the future. My answer was "five guys in a garage." In the three years since that test, I can't say I have changed my mind. While I love the amenities of having a nice studio to workout in, I consider it secondary to teaching the art.

Lamont

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
When we left Florida and I started teaching here, it was less about opening a school or even really passing on the art. It was more about bringing people up to speed as quickly as possible so that I would have "play mates". Four years later that has changed, I have a few "play mates", but it has become more about passing on the best American Kenpo I can.

T

tonbo

I would love to open a school, or take over the one that I am currently in.

As it is, there is hint that this may come to pass sooner than I would be ready, as my instructor may decide to move on in the next couple of years. There has been some talk, but nothing real serious at the moment.

The problem is, I don't feel "legitimate" about it yet. I enjoy managing the school (one of three locations we have), and enjoy doing the new student intros......but actually *owning* the place and paying the bills, etc? Eeeeesh.

I fear that, if I took over and failed, I would be letting a ton of dreams die for too many people. That part scares me.

I keep dreaming that someday, when I retire from my "real" job, my wife and I will open a school......but for now, well....I'll just keep doing what I'm doing...;)

Peace--

R

RCastillo

Are you trying to hurt my feelings, cause it's working.

But, the desire still burns within me. I wanna teach as long as I live.:asian:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Back in the day, when Karate schools were few and far between...any competent instructor could open a school and make a good living.

Now, there are more martial arts schools than I can count. (At least 75 within 10 miles of my house). Very few of those schools are profitable. It would be almost an act of charity to open a school in Silicon Valley -- unless you are a martial arts celebrity (Ernie Reyes, Cung Le, Frank Shamrock, Ralph Gracie all have successful schools in the valley).

Al Tracy has some GREAT info on his website about school economics, the importance of location, and the amount of competition. The ranting is pretty painful, but the information is really good. http://www.tracyskarate.com/Business/busiINDEX.htm

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
there have been a fair number of schools in our area also. we are one of the fortunate ones to have survived over the years! of course, i have a full time job so i don't starve! :0)

C

clapping_tiger

I would not want to open my own school for one reason, the headaches of dealing with some of the people. The students that you cannot please no matter what, the students who need to better their personel Hygein habits, the angry parents, the people who try to get away with free stuff (stealing). All of which I do not have to deal with and I am happy for that. I love to teach and I love introducing people to the martial arts. But at least my name is not on the bills, the tax papers, and I am not the one who has to deal with the "riff raff", although I do have to deal somewhat with people who are late in paying bills, I hate doing that with a passion. That is why I also wouldn't mind teaching out of a garage, but not own my own school.

Latest Discussions