Is Kung Fu right for me?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a spinal fusion and in my 40's.

Yeah, what Jake said. I've got back issues, joint issues, heck even mental issues ...and I'll be 60 in a few months. I still enjoy WC and hope to train for many years to come.

PS JAKE --lost your number. Call or email me (check my sig. below) -- let's get together and train a bit, or just catch up. I'll buy the beer. --Steve

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, what Jake said. I've got back issues, joint issues, heck even mental issues ...and I'll be 60 in a few months. I still enjoy WC and hope to train for many years to come.

PS JAKE --lost your number. Call or email me (check my sig. below) -- let's get together and train a bit, or just catch up. I'll buy the beer. --Steve
I'd like that! I emailed you my number. I'm going to the DTE seminar in Phoenix on the 21st hopefully see you there! Op sorry for hijack!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depending on your back issues, I would talk to the instructor and ask about the movements that are common with the type of Kung Fu you are looking at. My style of Kung Fu (Jow Ga) uses a lot of waist movement where Wing Chun hardly uses any waist compared to Jow Ga. If you have back injuries, know your limitations, let your instructor know and double check with the doctor.

Yendokuen

White Belt
Reaction score
As some others have said, aside from talking to your doctor, you should also just let the potential sifu/instructor know your situation. Assuming the sifu isn't a straight up fool, he/she will take note of your situation and make sure you are taught in a way that is beneficial for you. A good sifu will be able to teach you how to be effective according to how you can use your body.

Latest Discussions