Is it worth the buck to train boxing recreationaly?

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I went to a TKO gym last night. It has a lot of heavy bags, a ring and octagon. It was once a UFC gym.

I did their boxing routine last night. Boxing is great and you can get fairly decent at it quickly.

For my tastes now tho in my 40’s, I find traditional martial arts more fun. Specifically WC. For those that have done traditional martial arts most of their life I can see how changing to boxing would be fun.

Boxing gets boring to me. You will get in great shape though with boxing and really have an effective base.

noobforlife

White Belt
Reaction score
Coming from a Shorin Ryu background with a few years of boxing experience, I can tell you that having decent boxing will help your overall striking tons. The fact that I can choose to stand in the pocket to fight or use distance management that I learned from karate to land pot shots gives me a lot of confidence when I spar or compete.

I don't know how much full contact sparring your TMA school did (as mine did a lot of point sparring)---but there will be growing pains when you are learning how to box. Taking a punch to the face (repeatedly) is not something you can prepare for without a lot of practice.

Latest Discussions