Is it just me, or is kicking (esp advanced techniques like Jumping Crescent Kicks and Fouettes) much easier to do when holding a weapon esp swords?

Bullsherdog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Started going into kickboxing and the mall strip school I go to while focusing on K1 Rules, there are lots of instructors from different styles because the primary intent is for gradual adaptation for MMA and Self-Defense (as the school has had a few local champions in MMA across the state and lots of police and military attend so it was catered for those two things).

As a result while my training is for general American style kickboxing and K1 competition, we are being given lessons on a variety of different basic techniques from different styles with the eventual plan is we all learn to master the fundamentals of all styles for the later purpose of competing in MMA or just knowing RBSD to defend ourselves outside of the school.

So we have instructors from every mainstream unarmed style out there including TKD, Kyokushin, Muay Thai, Savate, Sanda, Wing Chun, Silat, Judo, BJJ, Hapkido, Aikido, Sambo, Catch Wrestling, and a bunch of different styles I can't remember the names of.

Because I'm mostly interested in swordsmanship and this is just a side show, of course in my free time I been mostly practising with swords. But in the last 3 workouts I kickboxed prior to sword training at home and I also mixed in unarmed moves with kicking.

What I noticed is despite already losing some of my endurance in the first phrase of my daily workouts (kickboxing), when I practise mixing sword attacks with unarmed moves, its MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to throw kicks when I'm holding a sword in my hand (even though my legs are already tired from the prior kickboxing warmup session). This is esp true with "Medium" two handed weapons that are not too long in length and not too heavy in weight such as the katana and European medieval longsword where I'm holding both my hands while doing a timed side kick or low sweeping move or Savate's fouette or stomp attack.Its so easy to knee I find myself doing it far more outside of the "clinching range" esp in the outboxer punching range because holding on the sword esp sideways gives me the leverage and stability to throw knees repeatedly without tripping or losing balance and falling (which is the same reason why in Muay Thai knees are almost exclusively thrown at clinch range-its very easy to lose balance if done at punching range and further and thus open you up to enemy's attacks).

Kicks I can barely do in my kickboxing class I now find myself doing with ease like riding a bike when I practise with swords such as TKD's numerous spinning reverse kicks and Sanda's high kicks to the head and chest.

Has anyone else experienced this when adding kicks into their sword training? Thats its much easier with a sword in hand than just barefisted? Whats the reason for this?

I also tried it out with a walking stick and baseball bat and spear and other weapons I have and the same thing of making it easier to throw roundhouse to the head and so on applies! So I take it this is a general thing to various weapons, not just swords?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I trained a feel years in TKD long time ago, I still doing kick boxing on heavy bags. I started stick fight with a cane and I tried to mix in kicks with the cane. I do NOT find it easier or harder, just keep practicing.

I hold the cane with two hands, it that sense, it's a little harder kicking with the cane as I have to hold onto the cane while kicking. Where as in bare hands, I don't have to worry as much. So no, I don't find it easier to kick with my cane.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the statement that it is easier, I don't think it is harder, but it isn't easier (at least for me.)