Iron Fist....ugh

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone else watched the new Netflix series Iron Fist. While the other MCU series on Netflix; Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil, were all really, really well done with excellent writing and good acting.....Iron Fist is....shall we say....disappointing.

For those that don't know the story, Danny Rand was a 10 year old boy flying with his extremely wealthy parents -owned the megaconglomerate, the Rand Corporation- when their plane crashed in the Himalayas. His parents were killed, yet he survived and was rescued by some monks from a mysterious city called Kung Lin, that only appears in our dimension every 15 years. For 15 years he was trained in Kung Fu and became one of their top students, eventually swearing to destroy "The Hand" (bad guys) as their sworn enemy and protector of Kung Lin. He develops the Iron Fist power, which allows his hand, when his chi is focused, to glow yellow and allow him to punch through steel, buildings, etc. However, he wishes to take his place back in NYC with his parents company, and so, when 15 years comes around, he leaves Kung Lin to come home.

That's the back story. Now, when the show was first created, that made sense, just like the Kung Fu Blaxploitation of the Luke Cage storyline, but this was updated w Luke Cage in the series....not so much in Iron Fist.

The writing is awful. Like 12 year olds are doing the writing, and it is probably the most frustrating part of the series. Additionally, Finn Jones (who played Loras Tyrell in Game of Thrones) is the lead character, and is prone to "overacting".

The martial arts are "okay", not great, but okay. To be honest the best character is Colleen, who is a Japanese martial arts instructor, although what martial arts she actually teaches are never really discussed in any detail.

The first 4 episodes suck. Like, really, soul crushing, suck. However, it did begin to pick up in episode 5 and is at least a little more tolerable. To be honest, if Iron Fist was not a central character to the Defenders series coming out this fall (Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist) I would have stopped watching it, but given that I want to watch Defenders, I am merely drinking my way through this show....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I enjoyed it more than like cage and as much as Jessica jones. I understand the criticisms but don't agree. While I wouldnt care too much if yhe main were cast as Asian, I have no problem not doing so either.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The martial arts are "okay", not great, but okay. To be honest the best character is Colleen, who is a Japanese martial arts instructor, although what martial arts she actually teaches are never really discussed in any detail.

I fully agree with this. I think she's the only one that I actually enjoy watching. It doesn't hurt that she's easy on the eyes.

When it comes to the martial arts, I heard the main actor only had 6 weeks of training before they filmed. It shows.

Aside from the terribleness, it just has an overall cheesy factor to it and I've still somewhat been enjoying watching it. I have two more episodes to go. I have to say...without doing a spoiler... the twist with Colleen towards the end I thought was pretty cool.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The martial arts choreography was a little rough throughout but for TV it wasn't unforgivable.

And I appreciated that this wasn't so dang dark. It had moments but not everything has to be dark and brooding. Jessica Jones and.Daredevil can do the tortured soul thing. Let iron fist be a little cheesy. In fact the cheese factor reminded me fondly of old kung fu movies.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me it is something new. My wife enjoys it and the story line is good enough. It's really difficult to bring comic characters or superheroes to life. The batman original series, superman the original series, hulk, wonder woman, spiderman, Flash, the other Flash who chilled out with the hawkmen lol. The lone ranger, six million dollar man, the bionic woman, greatest american hero,automan, street hawk, manimal, and some others, weren't exactly the best out there. Maybe one day we'll see some of these shows come back. But anyway, for me, I've seen worse lol. A whole lot of it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it is something new. My wife enjoys it and the story line is good enough. It's really difficult to bring comic characters or superheroes to life. The batman original series, superman the original series, hulk, wonder woman, spiderman, Flash, the other Flash who chilled out with the hawkmen lol. The lone ranger, six million dollar man, the bionic woman, greatest american hero,automan, street hawk, manimal, and some others, weren't exactly the best out there. Maybe one day we'll see some of these shows come back. But anyway, for me, I've seen worse lol. A whole lot of it.
I tend to enjoy even the bad stuff for a while. I grew up reading comic books as often as I could get them (and in between reading anything else I could get my hands on), and some of those were pretty bad. By the gods, silver age Superman had horrible dialog and sometimes worse plots.

Latest Discussions