Ip Ching vs Ip Chun

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Id rather not choose to be fair.

My Sifu trained under both Ip Chun and Ip Chin and there for you see a mix of there teachings in the way I am taught.

In observation and from what my sifu has explained to me Ip Chun generally has a softer view than Ip ching who has a harder view. Not to be confused with Hard or Soft Kung Fu as we know Wing Chun is a mixture of both.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ip Ching… but that is only because that is who my sifu trains with and I meant Ip Ching once.

Given the chance I would train with Ip Chun too.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Given the chance I would train with Ip Chun too.

Who wouldn't. In fact if it weren't for petty jealosies, monumental egos, and nasty WC politics in general... I'd want to meet and train with any number of WC sifus. Well, after I won the lottery that is.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Having trained with both I would say if you were training for a few days/seminar type of thing you should see both. They have some differences and its worth understanding those differences.

If you were going to spend a long time training wanted to learn wing chun fighting applications and really looking for one Sifu to follow then neither is my answer.

Look up chi sau clips of both on the net and if you have a keen eye you will understand.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Skill discussion aside I'd choose Ip Ching.

Yip Chun is 86 and Yip Ching is 74, logic holds that Yip Ching will likely be around a bit longer being the younger brother. More chance to learn something before he passes away.

Svemocn1vidar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ofcourse,given the chance,i would train under both of them. However if i HAD to choose,for whatever reasons,i would choose Grandmaster Ip Ching.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
wing chun rocks

Good or bad videos of wing chun are often subjective and based on what one has been taught to believe rather than on what one has actually experienced.

Please post a video or a link to what you consider Yip Ching doing good wing chun and tell us why it's good.

Last edited:

hpclub1000

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Im not in the business of pulling other people's Wing Chun but I will say that Ip Chings Wing Chun method works for me. There is a lot of emphasis on using the whole body through shifting and stepping to generate power which is not apparant in other teachings.

Svemocn1vidar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ip Ching for sure. Show me one good video of Yip Chun doing wing chun. Don't tell me the latest Yip Man movie.

One does not have to be skilled fighter to be a good teacher,keep in mind. Ip Chun is most likely,as described above by a fellow forum'er,a Yoda of Wing Chun (JK) .. =) He's probably one of the most knowing masters that still live and share their knowledge. My choice is Ip Ching,but still,Ip Chun is to be admired.

Cullers

White Belt
Reaction score
Only just come across this thread and joined the forum so apologies for the late entrance...
I've been a student of WC since my first lesson in 1973. I never managed to train under Sifu Ip Ching. During my main time studying, I was told numerous times that Ip Ching didn't teach or train. This always seemed incredible and confusing to me especially as this was communicated and reinforced by a student of Ip Chun and his representative. Even during my visits and stays in Hong Kong, I never came across him (this was in the 1980's). I did train a lot with Ip Chun for about a five year period as well as spending time with Wong Shun Leung, Duncan Leung and a few other Ip Man students for single days.
Now, after trying to give a potted history of my background, I wish to make my comments on this issue and WC from different sources.
WC theory is known as being centred around its use of chi sao. Chi Sao is about sensitivity which in turn, is centred on centreline theory, energy, footwork and technique. From my studies my perception is that Wing Chun today is largely based on the teachers teacher (Ip Man student) experience of his interpretation of WC as it was experienced by them from Ip Man. The technique of chi sao one got from WSL (or the larger students including Ip Ching) were more aggressive with stronger forward energy. Ip Chun is a much smaller individual and his technique is based around that basis and stature. His Chi Sao was much softer and sometimes his sensitivity seemed almost telegraphic at times. I get the impression that Ip Man could adapt his teaching according to his students stature rather than just teaching his approach. I think this is due to his collation and adaption from various teachers.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First let me be clear, I do not consider myself a student of Wing Chun, I dabble, but take this for what it is worth, from one who is basically a Taijiquan/Xingyiquan guy

As previously stated I trained in an Ip Ching lineage, and it was awesome, a lot of skill there from his student. But I more recently trained in one that comes from Leung Sheung, and I have to say, I like it better, but this is more of a personal preference than a critique of anything at all.

And I still wish I could have trained a bit in the Yip Chun line....

Latest Discussions