Interesting Instructor Pairings

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Rich/Jerome thread got shut down but that led me to an interesting thought: What would be some interesting pairings of instructors because of the differences between the two of them or whose instructional methods would compliment whose? I think Rich & Jerome on the same teaching bill would be very interesting because they are so different.

Who do think would make an interesting match up and let's keep this civil, please.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've long said any 2 Datus would be a good pairing.
While I'm not up on alot of the "who" name wise, any of the top US paired up with any of the top European or PI players also. A nice blend of differing cultures, and experiences.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, a pair of datus would get my attention.

I'd like to see someone from the Philippines group paired with someone from the U.S. group so as to compare and contrast them!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yeah, a pair of datus would get my attention.

I'd like to see someone from the Philippines group paired with someone from the U.S. group so as to compare and contrast them!

They were last minute additions, but Master Bambit was at Dan's camp alst year as well as the IMAF camp in Lansing Michigan. I had the chance to meet and talk a couple of minutes with him in Lansing. A very nice guy.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
The Rich/Jerome thread got shut down but that led me to an interesting thought: What would be some interesting pairings of instructors because of the differences between the two of them or whose instructional methods would compliment whose? I think Rich & Jerome on the same teaching bill would be very interesting because they are so different.

Who do think would make an interesting match up and let's keep this civil, please.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Hi Dan,

I like the original pairing mentioned, it would have been both fun and instructive to actually do the program, but alas, it will not come to pass.
How about PG Tom Bolden and any of the datus? I believe that any of those combinations would offer a variety of interesting contrasts.

Have a nice day,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Due to the differences in personalities:
Dieter Knuttel/Kelly Worden
Tim Hartman/Tom Bolden
Randi Shea/Kelly Worden
myself/(insert name here)
Bram Frank/Dieter Knuttel (this has already been done in Brevard but it is still an interesting pairing)

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DrBarber said:
Hi Dan,

I like the original pairing mentioned, it would have been both fun and instructive to actually do the program, but alas, it will not come to pass.
How about PG Tom Bolden and any of the datus? I believe that any of those combinations would offer a variety of interesting contrasts.

Have a nice day,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Alas Poor Dan, I knew him well Jerome. Just because I replied that I would not to host you, does not mean I will not be on the same floor as you.

As to interesting pairings, I think any of the two Datu's. One of the MoTT's and one of the Datu's, how about someone from the 70's and 90's?

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Due to the differences in personalities:
Dieter Knuttel/Kelly Worden
Tim Hartman/Tom Bolden
Randi Shea/Kelly Worden
myself/(insert name here)
Bram Frank/Dieter Knuttel (this has already been done in Brevard but it is still an interesting pairing)

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

During a dinner discussion last night several friends and I decided that the following pairings might be interesting:

1. GM Jeff Delaney & Master Rich Parsons
2. Professor Lisa McManus & Guro Sal Tadoro
3. Guro Dawad Muhammad & PG Remy Presas, Jr.
4. Guro Bob Hubbard & Palusut

Morgan

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Morgan said:
During a dinner discussion last night several friends and I decided that the following pairings might be interesting:

1. GM Jeff Delaney & Master Rich Parsons
2. Professor Lisa McManus & Guro Sal Tadoro
3. Guro Dawad Muhammad & PG Remy Presas, Jr.
4. Guro Bob Hubbard & Palusut

Morgan
Ha, Very Funny!!
:rofl:
Why am I the only one who isn't a guro?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I got a promotion. :)
I appreciate the confidence.

Seriously though, what's the thoughts behind the pairings?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I found that funny too! Good luck Guros Palusut and Hubbard!
I'm gonna need that luck when my series of training videos comes out shortly. ;)

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Hey, I got a promotion. :)
I appreciate the confidence.

Seriously though, what's the thoughts behind the pairings?
For me, the thought is which pair of very different teachers teaching at the same seminar would be interesting and at the same time contrasting in style, techiques, and approach and yet beneficial to the attendee? For example Dieter and Kelly have very different teaching styles and personalities yet the attendees would get their monies worth. Same with Tim Hartman & Jerome or Rich & Jeff. It is an interesting intellectuial game for me because of the personalities involved, most of the suggestions would never see the light of day. Yours, Dan Anderson

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
For me, the thought is which pair of very different teachers teaching at the same seminar would be interesting and at the same time contrasting in style, techiques, and approach and yet beneficial to the attendee? For example Dieter and Kelly have very different teaching styles and personalities yet the attendees would get their monies worth. Same with Tim Hartman & Jerome or Rich & Jeff. It is an interesting intellectuial game for me because of the personalities involved, most of the suggestions would never see the light of day. Yours, Dan Anderson

Hi Dan,

I have to agree with you, most of the pairings will never see the light of day. Too bad, but that's life at the present time.

Sincerely,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Alas Poor Dan, I knew him well Jerome. Just because I replied that I would not to host you, does not mean I will not be on the same floor as you.

As to interesting pairings, I think any of the two Datu's. One of the MoTT's and one of the Datu's, how about someone from the 70's and 90's?

Thanks, Rich. Much Appriciated.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting discussion for the most part. I've got to be honest though, I never cared for the two (or more) instructor format. I suppose it works for "window shopping," but I almost always felt that an instructor who was doing a shorter segment was seldom at their best. In other words, I would rather see one instructor develop material over a day or two than see two or more showcase a short segment.
This may simply be me getting fussy in my old age; I am much more demanding about getting a full return on any time I invest going to see one or more instructors.

As an aside, RP did always seem to be able to tailor his presentation to the length of time availible.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
Interesting discussion for the most part. I've got to be honest though, I never cared for the two (or more) instructor format. I suppose it works for "window shopping," but I almost always felt that an instructor who was doing a shorter segment was seldom at their best. In other words, I would rather see one instructor develop material over a day or two than see two or more showcase a short segment.
This may simply be me getting fussy in my old age; I am much more demanding about getting a full return on any time I invest going to see one or more instructors.

As an aside, RP did always seem to be able to tailor his presentation to the length of time availible.

There are definate advantages and disadvantages to the two man presentation format. I've worked in a both the single and dual presentations as well as the multiple presentations with as many as 8 instructors in a single day. Each format requires that the presenter adjust to the time frame available and tailor the instruction to the audience in attendance.

I would much prefer to have a full day (6 - 8 hours) to develop an opening sequence and lay out the foundation of the topic being taught. Then I will move people into the driils and basic applications. After that I will follow up with compund applications tying in two or more of the basic movements. As I move toward closure, I will return to the drills in order to establish a solid training format for the students to work with after the seminar is concluded.

The shorter the presentation time, the greater the necessity for the instructor to be focused and have his/her program under full command. The goal is to work effectively and efficently during the presentation. The pacing of the presentation has to be fast, smooth and logical. No wasted motions or verbiage.

My approach is based the time allocted for the presentation. In an hour long presentation, I set up a single drill and base ALL of the subsequent instruction on making that drill a practical self-defense reality. I alllow 10 minutes to establish the drill, 40 minutes to show a number of self defense applications and the final 10 minutes is used to reinterate the drill for subsequent practice after the seminar has ended.

I have gotten good responses from my 60 minute presentations and in one case a student contacted me to report that my instruction had helped her to fend off an attack by two individuals and escape unharmed. I would much prefer to have 120 to 180 minutes for instructional purposes, but that is not and will not always be the case.

As for learning something through a muliple instructor format, the key for me is to draw from the presenters the core concepts that he/she is presenting. Place those concepts in my own terminology and movement base, modify the concepts to fit what I am already comfortable with and then practice the movements, adding them to my base skills-set. The
instructional master key for me is to find the similarities and differences, then use them as they best suit me. I consider the full return on my investment in time and money to be how well I can adapt the training provided the instructor(s).

When I attend seminars and camps as either a student, instructor or both my goal is to add something to my basic knowledge about my art as I practice and/or teach it. There have been times when the instruction has verified some of my ideas, other times have caused me to question the effectiveness of something that I have been doing/teaching. At other times I have had to step back and do a total review of my assumptions and beliefs. The latter situation is very disturbing but it is also the highly informative and exciting. I believe that a self-defense perspective has to be flexible, alive and viberant in order to be adaptable to new situations. My personal philosophy is that the system has to fit the individual.

In closing, I am far less concerned about the amount of teaching time a particular instructor or I have, I am far more interested in how effectively did that instructor or I utilize the time that was made available for the presentation.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Then again, on a humorous note, I prefer one instructor for the whole seminar - especially if I am the instructor. Then I don't share the money with anyone.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I definately prefer the one instructor format whether I am
teaching or training. However, it is interesting sometimes
when you have a couple of instructors particularly when they
have very contrasting styles.

Brian R. VanCise

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The dynamics of having two different instructors tends to have one of two results.

The first result is both instructors keep repeating the subject that the other instructor recently taught and it becomes a "chest-thumping mine is better than yours" situation.

The other result is one of mutual respect. The late Dr. Wilfredo Matias had an excellent knife game but he would never teach knife when a renowned knife expert was teaching at the same seminar. While Dr. Matias focused on other aspects, it still made for an interesting seminar.

Latest Discussions