In your personal opinion...

Unsung Hero

White Belt
Reaction score
Now, I know that you can't exactly say "this martial art is more effective in a real fight then that one, because it all depends on the student and the teacher". But if you absoloutly had to say, which one of these three arts do you think would be more effective in a real fight? Xingyi, Bagua, or Yiquan? I practice all three of them, and I was just wondering which ones people here prefer.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
This might not be quite the response you wanted, however:

Xingyi is a straightforward attacking style that utilizes internal power. It tends to be learned quicker than Bagua or Tai Chi.

Yiquan is a "streamlined" version of xingyi created with a greater emphasis on the internal power and less on the particular techniques etc.

Bagua emphasises complex circular and angular attacks and can be very soft. It also has sophisticated multiple opponent drills and lots of advanced exercises. However, it will take a while to learn even compared to other internal arts like Xingyi.

OP
U

Unsung Hero

White Belt
Reaction score
I know what the styles are and what they consist of, I do them, haha. I just meant, do you think one can be more effective then the other?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
No

It differs from practitioner to practitioner.

I like Yiquan, but I have never trained it, I have trained Bagua and Xingyi independently form one another, but I trained Xingyi more because id fits me where Bagua did not fit me so well.

I have a question for you do you train Xingyi by itself or as a part of Bagua?

OP
U

Unsung Hero

White Belt
Reaction score
I train in Xingyi and Bagua at the same time, not seperatly. Is that a bad thing or a good thing? Or does it not really matter?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Unsung Hero said:
I train in Xingyi and Bagua at the same time, not seperatly. Is that a bad thing or a good thing? Or does it not really matter?

Not bad at all, I am not sure I was clear in my question.

Many Bagua styles incorporate some Xingyi in them. There is also what I did train just Xingyi and train just Bagua. I did not train Bagua long enough to get to the Xingyi type stuff, basically because Bagua does not fit me and Xingyi does.

My question actually should have been are you training bagua with the xingyi that has been incorporated into it or are you training them as separate styles?

One Xingyi class and another class for Bagua, if you will.

And there is nothing wrong with either way.

This also is kind of an answer to your original question.

For me Xingyi works better or is more effective, but that does not mean that Xingyi is more effective than Bagua. It only means that it is more effective for me. For someone else it can be the exact opposite Bagua is more effective than Xingyi and for someone training Yiquan is can be for him or her that Yiquan is more effective than both. As it would be for the Xingyi or Bagua practitioner that their style is more effective than Yiquan.

It is all a matter of what works best for the practitioner of the style or what style fits them best. Other than that there is no best of more effective of the 3 in my opinion.

OP
U

Unsung Hero

White Belt
Reaction score
I know what you mean.....so in that case, I guess you could say I'm learning Yiquan, but with some Bagua and Xingyi elements incorperated into it.

I only have one instructer, and he claims that he's teaching all three, so I asked him about it and he says he just incorperates all three into one martial art, but we focus more on the Yiquan training then anything.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yiquan comes directly from Xingyi.

The founder of Yiquan, Wang Xiangzhai, was a xingyiquan master

Yiquan
http://www.answers.com/topic/yiquan

And I did not know that there was any Bagua in Yiquan, but that, obviously, does not mean it isn't there. I like what I read about Yiquan and I like the videos I have seen of Yiquan, I have not trained it, but if I ever get the chance I will.

Do you do a lot of stance training?

OP
U

Unsung Hero

White Belt
Reaction score
There is a TON of stance training, lol. In fact, the first month or so is purely based on stance training and standing meditation (with a little push hands here and there). To explain the whole curriculum is kind of hard, because I don't know the whole curriculum yet and it all depends on how fast you progress, not the class in general. But I think he tries to make it so that everyone who is first starting out dedicates about a months worth of training to standing meditation and stance training, and developing the control of your chi.

Anyway, I know the basic history of Yiquan, and I know that it came from Xingyiquan, but he (my instructer) doesn't say "okay, now this is the bagua stuff....this is the xingyi stuff...and this is the yiquan stuff..." he just incorperates it all into one. So I just say I'm learning all three, instead of saying "I do Yiquan", even though we focus more on Yiquan stuff then anything, at least so far we are.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I know what you're asking... Bagua takes some considerable time before it can be effectively applied combatively. The same is true of Yiquan.

Xingyi, however, can be learned more quickly than Bagua or Yiquan and is devastatingly effective in combat...

Shrewsbury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion bagua is the superior of the three, though it takes more time to reach a good level than tai chi or perhaps yiquan.

They are all excellent with eachother or seperatley, but to me the bagua is the more esoteric and astonishing when performed at a high level of the three.
like you said, in combat it certainly depends heavely upon the individual and not the style, but equal out everything else and let it depend upon just style ( I know impossible so this is just my opinion) baguazhang would be what I would want to draw from.

:asian:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
pstarr said:
I think I know what you're asking... Bagua takes some considerable time before it can be effectively applied combatively. The same is true of Yiquan.

Xingyi, however, can be learned more quickly than Bagua or Yiquan and is devastatingly effective in combat...

Agreed

Latest Discussions