Ignoring that little "warning" light

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
The other day at my sparring class there was a fairly new student, and we were getting ready to go over punch/ block drills. For some reason (my experience with it?) as soon as the "new guy" countered my hit, I instantly blocked him back. What I was supposed to do was be the aggressor, and HE was supposed to defend himself so he can get the motion of it. Not that what I did was bad, persay, but it still wasn't what was expected (it was all no contact, except blocks). It was like at that moment, a little red light came on in my head. I didn't even think of it until it was too late.

So my question is, how do you kind of "ignore" that instant response? The instructor wound up switching places with me after the second try.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I once remarked to my TKD instructor that "A lot of martial arts moves are actually somewhat counter-intuitive and one of the secrets to martial arts seems to be inlearning to supress your suvival instinct"

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's hard. I used to have a fear of falling, but since the new class, I kind of had to overcome that fast.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes when faced with a bigger opponent...he hits and you want to run..you need to get over that..and in time it comes...martial artists have a tendency to step up..well I do anyway...he hits I dont dodge I step in.

I am able to block my flee response...That only came after a long time of training...it will happen for you!

*bows respectfully*

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Time and experience will help self confidence which will help you be in better control of your actions/reactions. The urge to block and step back from a punch comes naturally, the urge to step into it, block it and hit back requires more time. You'll get there.

Latest Discussions