If you could change up to 3 rules

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you could change up to 3 rules in MMA matches, let's go of off the UFC as a base as I imagine more people are familliar with it, what would you change?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Allow SJM. There all whole areas of some arts not allowed simply because SJM is not allowed. Hey, I know it's dangerous but I mean this *is* supposed to be mixed martial art fighting and it seems kina silly to leave out a whole area of martial arts because it's dangerous. I think if you allowed SJM it would change the texture of te fights dramatically as people altered their attacks and their defense.

How about requiring people to hold belts inat least two arts. I mean, it's ""Mixed Martial Arts" If you don't require people to actually study the arts, then just call it "Sport Fighting" and drop the pretense of Martial Art. Learning three Muy Thai knee strikes, boxing punches, one Taekwondo spin kick, and a BJJ shoot is not Art

Faster rounds and more of them. Hey, the cops are coming and the dude's friends just showed; take him out *now*...or start over.

Open Tournaments - every one show up...random seeding...fight who you fight. No more preparing 3 months for just the *one guy* you are going to face (If you go with fewer faster rounds, maybe you fight 3-5 guys in one night)

Just some wild thoughts

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'd like to see a little more of the mind and spirit portion of the martial arts. not sure how you'd write it into the rules, but something requiring the basic respect, sportsmanship and personal honor that separate martial arts from senseless violence.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
SJM would be interesting to see.

remove the cap on heavyweight weigh limit. I've got a friend who would -love- to compete, but the boy is over 300 lbs. its all muscle too.

5 3 minute rounds rather then 3 5 minute rounds might be nice. I've got to agree with that one

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, my turn:

Longer rounds! At least for title fights, maybe 3 x 10 min rounds for title fights.

Deduct points for stalling, both on the feet AND on the ground. Only stand fighters up if niether are trying to push the action, not just because one is stalling.

More emphasis put on ground work, as things stand there is little insentive for a fighter to do anything but sit in guard and fire short point getters and try to open up cuts. Value guard passing & submission attempts higher in the scoring.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Longer rounds! At least for title fights, maybe 3 x 10 min rounds for title fights.

didn't they used to have longer rounds?

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, initially there where no rounds, and no time limits. Then it went to 1 x 30 minute round and Royce and Ken proved how that could be a mistake...

They've just been getting shorter since. Helps keep things on the feet.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
risking the possibility of it looking like the WWE, how do you think a multiple person MMA event would look like? 2 vs 2? 3 man free for all? I suppose 2 vs 1 would be a bit silly given some of the rules... would that ever be a possibility you think?

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well for starters the athletic commision would never agree to it. Too much risk of injury, to hard for the ref to control. Politicians would never buy it and it would reignite the "human cockfighting" argument....

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree also with the small joints. Dangerous but man, so much you can do with the wrist, and ouch those fingers.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I believe wrist locks are currently allowed. SJM is mostly about fingers I believe. I'm all for allowing them though.

I think if a guys ends up fighting from his guard he should be allowed to heel kick to the top guys kiddneys. Would help keep the top guy from stalling for a standup or end of the round.

Elbows from the back should also be allowed for realism's sake.

Most importantly. Pay the fighters more! That fighting crap is hard on the body.

Latest Discussions