Iaido Kata Demonstration!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As if I didn't already wish we had an iado instructor in the area bad enough, you have to go and post that! Looked great and I'm telling ya if I attempted "noto" that smoothly I'd have more stitches in my hand than you can count.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As if I didn't already wish we had an iado instructor in the area bad enough, you have to go and post that! Looked great and I'm telling ya if I attempted "noto" that smoothly I'd have more stitches in my hand than you can count.

Where are you in Virginia? There is Iai in Woodbridge. Different lineage from the guy in the video, but definitely good stuff.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aww!

Not denigrating Mr Ohlson at all ... it's just that I've had that clip for quite a long time and I thought Mr VanCise had found me a new iaido segment to lap up :( :lol:.

Have you noticed, as with anything else in life, that the ratio of dross-to-gems is appaulingly bad in the available footage of sword arts?

I've put forward the theory before that it's an attempt by the serious practitioners not to encourage the I-Wannbe-Samuryee's to have a go themselves and get hurt (and bring bad publicity on the rest of us to boot).

YouTube has more-or-less scuppered that as an effective move, sad to say.

On the upside, lack of video of the 'real deal' helps keep down the blatant McDojo fare I suppose, because the charlatans don't have anything to copy.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There aren't really any "sound effects" on the video. The noise caused by the cut is called tachikaze, and is caused by air moving across the hi(groove) in the side of the blade. Tachikaze is not necessarily an indicator of any great skill. Shape of the hi has a lot to do with the amount of noise produced by the cut. A sword with no hi produces very little tachikaze. In this case, the sound of the tachikaze comes through loud and clear because the camera appears to be very close to the demonstration.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where are you in Virginia? There is Iai in Woodbridge. Different lineage from the guy in the video, but definitely good stuff.
I'm in the Roanoke area. That's a good four hour drive one way for me. I've already checked them out and would be there in a heartbeat as soon as they invent the Star Trek transporter to get me there and back in a flash...or shimmer as the case may be.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There aren't really any "sound effects" on the video. The noise caused by the cut is called tachikaze, and is caused by air moving across the hi(groove) in the side of the blade. Tachikaze is not necessarily an indicator of any great skill. Shape of the hi has a lot to do with the amount of noise produced by the cut. A sword with no hi produces very little tachikaze. In this case, the sound of the tachikaze comes through loud and clear because the camera appears to be very close to the demonstration.

Thanks for the info. I honestly thought the video was edited for the sound effects. No, I didn't think the sound had anything to do with skill. ;)

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the ryu he was using in the video was my style, Eishin ryu Iaijutsu.

I saw some familiar kata, and some, I've been out of practice with, and need to improve on.

Kesa Giri no Kata

Ukenagashi no Kata (this one took me forever to learn)

Tsukikage no Kata

Mae no Kata (Looks simple, but is deceptively complex)

Good video, though at the beginning, when lying his weapon down, he should have positioned it like in the end, tsuka to the left.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Your Eishin Ryu has a "Kesagiri no kata?" I think you will find that that kata is from Seitei, not Eishin ryu. And I believe the practitioner is Muso Shinden Ryu rather than Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was my understanding also that Mr Ohlson was MSER rather than MJER - I'll have to watch the vid again now to be sure {oh, the hardship :lol:}.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lol: Late night 'e' intruder ... is it just me or does that sound a bit rude :D?

Latest Discussions