100% :: punch in face
100%:: kick in the nuts
100%::Choke out till it goes dark

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if I run away from your attack is also considered as "resistance" by your definition.

IMO, "escape" should not be treated as "resistance".

To me, when I sweep your leg, if you

- turn your shin bone into my sweep, that's "resistance".
- lift your leg, and let my foot to go under, that's "escape". Since I only dear with the thin air, I don't feel any "resistance" at all.
You say "should not be considered resistance." Why not? If "resistance" in context means trying to stop someone from doing what they're trying to do, then escaping the technique is a valid method of resisting.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You say "should not be considered resistance." Why not? If "resistance" in context means trying to stop someone from doing what they're trying to do, then escaping the technique is a valid method of resisting.
In ground game, if you stay on the ground like a crab, and I stand up like a chimpanzee, I'm avoid the ground game. I'm not resisting.

When you sweep my leg, if I raise up my leg, that's escape. If I turn my shin bone into your sweep, that's resisting.

By using your definition, we can't distinguish those situations.

IMO, resisting is the opposite of escape, avoid, borrow force, yield, stick, follow, ...

A: Help! Help! I can't deal with my enemies resistance.
B: How strongly is your enemies resistance?
A: They all run away from me. I can't find any of them.
B: ...

Last edited:
OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In ground game, if you stay on the ground like a crab, and I stand up like a chimpanzee, I'm avoid the ground game. I'm not resisting.

When you sweep my leg, if I raise up my leg, that's escape. If I turn my shin bone into your sweep, that's resisting.

IMO, resisting is the opposite of escape, avoid, borrow force, yield, stick, follow, ...
Is it your opinion? Or is it something you consider fact? Because you're arguing like everyone else is wrong. You've taken a thread that was a fun little anecdote and turned it into "Your vocabulary is stupid and I'm smarter than everyone." That's the vibe I'm getting from you in this thread.

You're not arguing in good faith. You're arguing to try and find a "gotcha" that proves that you're smarter than everyone else who understands what "resistance" means in this context.

Not every word has to have a specific meaning. For example, you say "sweep". There are a number of different sweeps. Which sweep do you mean? You didn't distinguish it. Does that mean your word is wrong, because it can mean multiple things? No. That's how words work. Sometimes the same word can mean different things. Sometimes you have to use contextual clues to figure out what people are talking about. Or if you're not sure, you have to ask. But once you figure out what they're talking about, most people would just continue with the conversation, instead of arguing that "well, even after you explain it, I don't know what you mean, because you could have meant something else than what you explained it".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A: Help! Help! I can't deal with my enemies resistance.
B: How strongly is your enemies resistance?
A: They all run away from me. I can't find any of them.
B: ...
As usual, you’re presenting a binary idea, when the situation isn’t binary. We can refer to that as resistance, and still use other words to distinguish them. Including them in an umbrella term doesn’t preclude also using other words.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Update on this. I had another accidental private lesson last Friday, and one again today.

I'm starting to see improvement. For example, when my Professor goes at 10% speed, 5% strength, and hands me openings on a silver platter...I can almost pass his guard.

Last weekend he did a tournament. He absolutely demolished his opponents. A bunch of us had gone up to watch him compete. I told the guy next to me, "I must have done a great job rolling with him yesterday." That joke got back to the professor. He thought it was the funniest thing. "I need to roll more with Skribs, he prepared me for this..."

(Luckily he knew I was joking and knew that I didn't actually think I prepared him to take on other black belts).

In fact, when I showed up to class today, his reaction, "What are you doing here? I don't have a tournament this weekend."

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Update on this. I had another accidental private lesson last Friday, and one again today.

I'm starting to see improvement. For example, when my Professor goes at 10% speed, 5% strength, and hands me openings on a silver platter...I can almost pass his guard.

Last weekend he did a tournament. He absolutely demolished his opponents. A bunch of us had gone up to watch him compete. I told the guy next to me, "I must have done a great job rolling with him yesterday." That joke got back to the professor. He thought it was the funniest thing. "I need to roll more with Skribs, he prepared me for this..."

(Luckily he knew I was joking and knew that I didn't actually think I prepared him to take on other black belts).

In fact, when I showed up to class today, his reaction, "What are you doing here? I don't have a tournament this weekend."
What was the lesson?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What was the lesson?
Wasn't much of a lesson, mostly just cardio drills of techniques I've already been taught and then rolling with my professor. Not that I didn't get a lot out of it, there just wasn't a "lesson" part of the class.

I haven't taken an actual private lesson with him yet. When I'm the only one in class (happens sometimes on Fridays), I just get the lesson he already had planned for the beginners, except he's my partner the whole class.