I need help in writing my thesis.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My oldest is in an MS/PhD program and he routinely grades papers, tests and just about anything else that needs to be graded... as well as do a copious amount of research
My middle kid is in the same boat, but fortunately, this is her last year as a TA. She splits her time as a TA and a research assistant, but is moving to full time RA shortly. So hopefully grading exams and such will be behind her soon.

Interesting things happening in the universities right now. My impression is that unions are popping up to organize the grad students on many campuses.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My middle kid is in the same boat, but fortunately, this is her last year as a TA. She splits her time as a TA and a research assistant, but is moving to full time RA shortly. So hopefully grading exams and such will be behind her soon.

Interesting things happening in the universities right now. My impression is that unions are popping up to organize the grad students on many campuses.

He is mostly an RA these days, but still does some TA work.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ChatGPT:

Please write a paragraph on why I want to be a black belt in karate.

"Becoming a black belt in karate is a significant achievement that requires years of hard work, discipline, and dedication. It represents mastery of the foundational techniques and principles of the martial art and a deep understanding of its philosophy. For many people, the pursuit of a black belt in karate is not just about learning self-defense skills, but also about personal growth and development. It requires a strong commitment to continuous improvement, both physically and mentally, and helps build confidence, self-discipline, focus, and resilience. Being a black belt in karate is not just a badge of honor but a symbol of a lifelong journey of self-discovery and self-improvement, and for these reasons, it is a goal that many aspiring martial artists strive to achieve."

I would not have accepted the above, but with a bit of tweaking to put it in the first person and some exposition, I probably would.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's really pretty good. I tried a couple of prompts.

Chat GPT Prompt - Write an essay on why I want my black belt in karate

Karate is a traditional Japanese martial art that has been practiced for centuries. It is a discipline that requires discipline, focus, and hard work. I have been training in karate for several years now, and I have set my sights on earning my black belt.

There are several reasons why I want to earn my black belt in karate. First and foremost, I believe that karate has taught me valuable life skills that extend far beyond the dojo. I have learned the importance of discipline, focus, and hard work. These skills have helped me in other areas of my life, such as my studies and my career.

In addition, I have seen significant improvements in my physical fitness since I started training in karate. I have developed better balance, flexibility, and strength. Earning my black belt will be a testament to the progress I have made in my physical fitness and will give me a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Karate is also an excellent form of self-defense. I have learned various techniques that I can use to protect myself in dangerous situations. Knowing that I have the ability to defend myself gives me a sense of confidence and security.

Furthermore, karate has provided me with a sense of community. I have developed strong relationships with my fellow karate practitioners and my instructors. The karate community has provided me with a support system and has helped me to develop a sense of belonging.

Earning my black belt in karate is a significant goal for me. It is a goal that will require me to push myself to my limits and to overcome challenges. However, I am confident that I have the discipline, focus, and hard work necessary to achieve this goal.

In conclusion, karate has taught me valuable life skills, improved my physical fitness, given me a sense of confidence, and provided me with a sense of community. I am excited to continue on this journey and to work towards achieving my goal of earning my black belt in karate.

Chat GPT prompt - is MMA better than Karate:

It's difficult to make a blanket statement that MMA is "better" than karate, as both martial arts have their own unique strengths and weaknesses, and which one is better for a given individual depends on their personal goals and circumstances. However, here are some factors that could make MMA a more attractive option for some people:

1. Practicality: MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) is a combat sport that combines techniques from a variety of martial arts, including boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. This means that MMA fighters are trained to be effective in a wide range of situations, including striking, grappling, and ground fighting. Karate, on the other hand, tends to focus more on striking techniques and forms, which may not be as practical in a real-world self-defense scenario.
  2. Versatility: MMA training involves a diverse range of techniques and strategies, which can help develop a more well-rounded fighter. MMA fighters can switch between striking and grappling as needed, depending on the situation, while a karate practitioner may be limited to their striking abilities.
  3. Competition: MMA has become a popular sport in recent years, with events like the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) attracting large audiences and top-level athletes. This means that MMA fighters have the opportunity to test their skills in high-pressure competition settings, which can be both challenging and rewarding.
  4. Physical fitness: MMA training can be an incredibly intense and demanding workout, which can help improve overall physical fitness and health. MMA fighters need to be strong, agile, and quick, with good endurance and stamina, which can translate into improved performance in other areas of life.
That said, it's worth noting that karate has its own benefits and advantages, and may be a better fit for some people depending on their goals and preferences. Ultimately, the choice between MMA and karate (or any other martial art) depends on individual factors like personality, goals, and lifestyle.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why are you asking for this on a martial arts forum?
We had to do essays for dan ranks at my TKD school. Typically one was for the Master to check your knowledge or understanding of something, and one was for you to read on testing day. For example, for 1st Dan, it was "History of Taekwondo" (for the Master to check) and "What Taekwondo Means to Me" (for the audience on testing day).

However, it would have helped to have some additional context for the prompt. What martial art? What is the assignment? Etc. etc.
If I was a professor, I think for my next semester/year classes, I'd transition away from essays and only use tests, oral exams/conversations and presentations. Otherwise I wouldn't know if my students understand something, or are just having an AI try tricking me into thinking they know stuff (which, if it was anything other than an AI, would be considered cheating).
I'm on the fence if I will include these. I do think it's an opportunity for students to share some of what they know outside of the technical or practical demonstrations. It's also an opportunity to share their experiences and such.

One idea my Master had, which was very short-lived, is to have the kids testing for black belt do a video essay for their parents thanking them for their support throughout their learning. The first group that did these did great. He gave up when the first kid in the second group (age 14), had this to say:

"I'd like to thank my parents for paying for my Taekwondo, because I wouldn't be able to go if they didn't pay for it. And also for paying for my black belt test, because I wouldn't be able to test if they didn't pay for it, and without them paying for it, I wouldn't get to be a black belt..."

I'm serious, he must have mentioned them paying for his TKD a dozen times in under a minute. I'm guessing he either recently found out that classes aren't free (when I was a kid, I didn't realize my parents paid for this stuff), or he was about to quit and they're like "We didn't waste that much money on lessons the past few years just for you to quit right before black belt." Either way, that was the end of the video essays.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We had to do essays for dan ranks at my TKD school. Typically one was for the Master to check your knowledge or understanding of something, and one was for you to read on testing day. For example, for 1st Dan, it was "History of Taekwondo" (for the Master to check) and "What Taekwondo Means to Me" (for the audience on testing day).
Done in less than a minute:

essay on what tae kwan do means to me

Tae Kwon Do is a martial art that originated in Korea and has been widely practiced all over the world. It is not just a physical activity or sport, but it is a way of life. Tae Kwon Do has been a part of my life for several years now, and it has become an essential part of my identity. In this essay, I will discuss what Tae Kwon Do means to me and how it has influenced my life.

Firstly, Tae Kwon Do has taught me the value of discipline and hard work. Tae Kwon Do is not easy, and it takes a lot of effort and dedication to master the techniques and progress through the ranks. Practicing regularly and putting in the necessary effort has taught me the value of discipline and perseverance. These values have helped me in other areas of my life, such as academics and work, where I have learned to work hard and stay focused on my goals.

Secondly, Tae Kwon Do has taught me the importance of respect and humility. Respect is a core value in Tae Kwon Do, and it is essential to show respect towards others, especially those who are more experienced or of higher rank. Practicing humility has also been a valuable lesson for me, as it has taught me to be more accepting of criticism and to learn from my mistakes. This has helped me become more open-minded and to approach challenges with a growth mindset.

Thirdly, Tae Kwon Do has been a great stress reliever for me. The physical activity involved in Tae Kwon Do helps me release my tension and stress, and it provides me with a healthy outlet for my emotions. The focus required in Tae Kwon Do also helps me clear my mind and focus on the present, which helps me relax and reduce my stress levels.

Lastly, Tae Kwon Do has given me a sense of community and belonging. The friendships I have made in Tae Kwon Do are valuable to me, and the support I receive from my instructors and peers has helped me grow both as a martial artist and as a person. The community in Tae Kwon Do is supportive and inclusive, and it has been a welcoming environment where I can learn and grow.

In conclusion, Tae Kwon Do has been an essential part of my life, and it has helped me develop discipline, respect, humility, stress relief, and a sense of community. Tae Kwon Do is not just a martial art but a way of life, and it has influenced my life in numerous ways. Tae Kwon Do has taught me valuable lessons, and I am grateful for the experiences I have had and the people I have met through this practice.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Done in less than a minute:

essay on what tae kwan do means to me

Tae Kwon Do is a martial art that originated in Korea and has been widely practiced all over the world. It is not just a physical activity or sport, but it is a way of life. Tae Kwon Do has been a part of my life for several years now, and it has become an essential part of my identity. In this essay, I will discuss what Tae Kwon Do means to me and how it has influenced my life.

Firstly, Tae Kwon Do has taught me the value of discipline and hard work. Tae Kwon Do is not easy, and it takes a lot of effort and dedication to master the techniques and progress through the ranks. Practicing regularly and putting in the necessary effort has taught me the value of discipline and perseverance. These values have helped me in other areas of my life, such as academics and work, where I have learned to work hard and stay focused on my goals.

Secondly, Tae Kwon Do has taught me the importance of respect and humility. Respect is a core value in Tae Kwon Do, and it is essential to show respect towards others, especially those who are more experienced or of higher rank. Practicing humility has also been a valuable lesson for me, as it has taught me to be more accepting of criticism and to learn from my mistakes. This has helped me become more open-minded and to approach challenges with a growth mindset.

Thirdly, Tae Kwon Do has been a great stress reliever for me. The physical activity involved in Tae Kwon Do helps me release my tension and stress, and it provides me with a healthy outlet for my emotions. The focus required in Tae Kwon Do also helps me clear my mind and focus on the present, which helps me relax and reduce my stress levels.

Lastly, Tae Kwon Do has given me a sense of community and belonging. The friendships I have made in Tae Kwon Do are valuable to me, and the support I receive from my instructors and peers has helped me grow both as a martial artist and as a person. The community in Tae Kwon Do is supportive and inclusive, and it has been a welcoming environment where I can learn and grow.

In conclusion, Tae Kwon Do has been an essential part of my life, and it has helped me develop discipline, respect, humility, stress relief, and a sense of community. Tae Kwon Do is not just a martial art but a way of life, and it has influenced my life in numerous ways. Tae Kwon Do has taught me valuable lessons, and I am grateful for the experiences I have had and the people I have met through this practice.
Simple solution to ChatGPT: add a requirement that it must include examples that are specific to you.

For example, my essay talked about becoming an instructor and about bringing my family into TKD. And while I wouldn't be able to verify your essay, I would for my own students.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Simple solution to ChatGPT: add a requirement that it must include examples that are specific to you.

For example, my essay talked about becoming an instructor and about bringing my family into TKD. And while I wouldn't be able to verify your essay, I would for my own students.
Maybe. I don't think it would be very hard to add an example or two, and tweak a sentence here and there. I mean, that took 30 seconds, and so if it takes me a few minutes more to tailor it, I'm still not putting much into it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

However, it would have helped to have some additional context for the prompt. What martial art? What is the assignment? Etc. etc.
I know it's a thing that's done, but it seems suspicious to me that he's asking here, in general weapons, without specifying any other information. My hope was asking him why he was posting here would elicit more info from him.
I'm on the fence if I will include these. I do think it's an opportunity for students to share some of what they know outside of the technical or practical demonstrations. It's also an opportunity to share their experiences and such.

One idea my Master had, which was very short-lived, is to have the kids testing for black belt do a video essay for their parents thanking them for their support throughout their learning. The first group that did these did great. He gave up when the first kid in the second group (age 14), had this to say:

"I'd like to thank my parents for paying for my Taekwondo, because I wouldn't be able to go if they didn't pay for it. And also for paying for my black belt test, because I wouldn't be able to test if they didn't pay for it, and without them paying for it, I wouldn't get to be a black belt..."

I'm serious, he must have mentioned them paying for his TKD a dozen times in under a minute. I'm guessing he either recently found out that classes aren't free (when I was a kid, I didn't realize my parents paid for this stuff), or he was about to quit and they're like "We didn't waste that much money on lessons the past few years just for you to quit right before black belt." Either way, that was the end of the video essays.
Me and Gyakuto were actually talking about (academic) school. Regarding essays, video essays, anything along those lines, I'm actively against all of that for martial arts. I would never include those in a martial art I taught, and am iffy on if I'd require belt tests at all (the only way I would is if I somehow ended up in an organization that required it and then became a teacher of that organization).

Regarding anything beyond knowing the material for a test, at this point in my life, I wouldn't even enroll in a school that required that. If I did enroll in a school, and learned that they required it, I either A) wouldn't bother testing, if that's an option, or B) if I have to test in order to continue learning material, and potentially to do something like sparring, I would just leave the school. When I have kids, if they're interested in martial arts, I would do everything I could (acknowledging that they have their own opinions and their enjoyment comes above my principles) to avoid a school which required that.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Regarding anything beyond knowing the material for a test, at this point in my life, I wouldn't even enroll in a school that required that. If I did enroll in a school, and learned that they required it, I either A) wouldn't bother testing, if that's an option, or B) if I have to test in order to continue learning material, and potentially to do something like sparring, I would just leave the school. When I have kids, if they're interested in martial arts, I would do everything I could (acknowledging that they have their own opinions and their enjoyment comes above my principles) to avoid a school which required that.
This is only for black belt testing and degree testing. It wasn't for every individual test.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is only for black belt testing and degree testing. It wasn't for every individual test.
Even for blackbelt testing, those are my thoughts. Though i likely wouldnt leave the school, and just not test, as there should be more than enough material before black belt.

And I would straight up tell the school if asked the reason i am not testing is because I've no desire to write an essay.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The OP started this thread nine days ago and hasn’t posted since. It is his/her one and only post here on MT. Perhaps further discussion is pointless and irrelevant unless the OP comes back to contribute some more.

It kinda feels like a grenade drop, OP starts a discussion with no intention of further participation, just to see how the members here scramble about. It’s dishonest.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even for blackbelt testing, those are my thoughts. Though i likely wouldnt leave the school, and just not test, as there should be more than enough material before black belt.

And I would straight up tell the school if asked the reason i am not testing is because I've no desire to write an essay.
When I first tested for black belt we had an essay requirement. I was 16 years old and it was 1987. I am sure it was absolute drivel although I have zero actual memory of what I wrote. I was 16, after all. I hope to the gods that it hasn’t survived anywhere, to be brought forth as a not-funny joke at my retirement party. I would turn that event into a bloodbath. Some things are best left buried.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The OP started this thread nine days ago and hasn’t posted since. It is his/her one and only post here on MT. Perhaps further discussion is pointless and irrelevant unless the OP comes back to contribute some more.

It kinda feels like a grenade drop, OP starts a discussion with no intention of further participation, just to see how the members here scramble about. It’s dishonest.
Quite possibly it's an automated bot designed to make a randomly generated post so that later on the account can be used for posting spam.

But it did spawn some interesting discussion anyway, so not a complete waste.

Latest Discussions