I Miss Kenpo

Herbwoman

White Belt
Reaction score
When I was 14 I lived in Belvidere, Ill. I studied Kenpo under a couple who lived next door and eventually took some classes at a dojo in a nearby city that I cannot remember the name of. I became a yellow belt and began training in my next level when I had to move. In Wyoming there was no one to continue my training under. Unfortunately I let my training lapse and did not practice. I probably couldn't do a skip side kick now without falling on my butt.

About 10 years ago I tried to resume training at a dojo in Atlanta but the Sensei there did things so differently that I just couldn't make the adjustments and I dropped out. Even the salutation was different.

After all this time I have difficulty remembering the exact meaning behind the gestures. I would appreciate it if someone could help refresh my memory. It was a series of three gestures.

First the back of the right hand was loudly struck into an open left palm held at a 45 degree angle.

Second, both hands were turned so that fingertips pointed at the wrists, the palms were then turned outward.

Third, both hands were then moved downwards to abdomen level in a slight cradling gesture.

The interpretation I remember went something like "Kenpo is my weapon. I bear no others. I will use it with honor." But I really don't think the interpretation of the first gesture, or the second is exact.

Could someone please tell me if you know the exact interpretation of the gestures. Also, can anyone tell me which dscipline of Kenpo I studied from the description of that salute?

I wish I could find a Sensei of that exact discipline again. I loved it so and I miss it. After all this time I would even gladly begin at white belt again. I still think fondly of my Sensei and the plastic whiffle ball bat he used to encourage us to tighten our abs while we ran.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thank you.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sure one of the Kenpo seniors will be able to help you out.

I missed Kenpo as well and went back to it after 20 years. Nothing quite as humbling as putting on a white belt again, but I am loving every minute of it.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
I agree... The "Kenponet" seems to be a pretty good resource, overall.
Their "family tree" is one of the most concise, accurate, inclusive and complete that exsists. They seem to cater to most of the variants of Kenpo, although their emphasis is American Kenpo and EPAK.
Thanks,
Milt G.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello,
I agree... The "Kenponet" seems to be a pretty good resource, overall.
Their "family tree" is one of the most concise, accurate, inclusive and complete that exsists. They seem to cater to most of the variants of Kenpo, although their emphasis is American Kenpo and EPAK.
Thanks,
Milt G.

Really? Then why won't they make the correction to the tree I requested several times concerning my own lineage?

...anyway...

I do not recognize their description of the salutaion. It does not sound like the traditional one.

Personally, I'd reccomend asking over on Kenpotalk.com.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Really? Then why won't they make the correction to the tree I requested several times concerning my own lineage?

...anyway...

I do not recognize their description of the salutaion. It does not sound like the traditional one.

Personally, I'd reccomend asking over on Kenpotalk.com.

Hello,
I do not know... I have never had problems getting changes to my portion, although it may take them some time. I am pretty sure they will not make changes "above" your own branch without the other parties involved input.
On the salutation... There are many "differences" and variations of it. What is "traditional" is a matter of opinion. Depends on who you ask and their lineage. The Kenponet administrators are of a certain lineage, so when asked they advise as they know and understand.
I agree, though. Can be frustrating.
Thanks,
Milt G.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
the #3 interpretation of palm up to fist sounds similar to what I was told in EPAK: "wisdom over power."