I may have a little Aikidoka on my hands

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another aikido sensei, who teacher a friend of ours, ask my little Aikidoka what she liked about Aikido....answer "What's not to like"
She will be making a convert of you to Aikido XS haha, it is lovely to hear of her successes and the obvious pride you have in her, wishes for every good thing, Jx

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
She will be making a convert of you to Aikido XS haha, it is lovely to hear of her successes and the obvious pride you have in her, wishes for every good thing, Jx

I might if I thought my knees could handle seiza and shikko :D

I sit and watch the class and I have to tell you, I see, and learn a lot about, taijiquan applications

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
Aye I've found a lot in the aikido that I learned as a kid that directly related back to my taijiquan practice. Particularly the "warm-ups" we did before class. If only they had taught us how to do those exercises properly I might have stayed in the art.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Watching class, my little Aikidoka was working with her Sempai, I look away for 1 second, hear my little Akidoka say "Whoa", they I hear a loud slam on the floor. I expect the worst, tears, injury...... I look up...she is getting off the floor with a huge grin on her face and all I heard her say was..."I fell wrong"... and she was back at it with her Sempai.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
She is still at it XS? is great! She has inherited the persistence of her old pops :) Jxx

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
She is still at it XS? is great! She has inherited the persistence of her old pops :) Jxx

She was asked by the Sensei of a friend of ours "What do you like best about Aikido" Her answer was "What's not to like"

For the kids, they have belt ranks, and she is a green looking at her blue belt soon

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My little Aikidoka started something in her class that her teacher is thrilled with, but I am not sure ow much the other kids are into it. She asked about Ukemi and Randori and she is the only child he has had, in all his years of teaching that asked to learn it.

So she is now learning about Ukemi and Randori

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My little Aikidoka started something in her class that her teacher is thrilled with, but I am not sure ow much the other kids are into it. She asked about Ukemi and Randori and she is the only child he has had, in all his years of teaching that asked to learn it.

They aren't doing ukemi in every class already? What do they cover in class?

I know it's a kids class, but I'm having a hard time visualizing what sort of Aikido they could be doing without ukemi.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They aren't doing ukemi in every class already? What do they cover in class?

I know it's a kids class, but I'm having a hard time visualizing what sort of Aikido they could be doing without ukemi.

Ukemi in a sense that they have no idea what they are running into.
The attacker knows what to do, but the one being attack knows not what is coming. Therefore the attacker has no idea how they are supposed to fall before they get there.

Ukemi as part of Randori. It is the Randori bit he has not had a kid want to learn before. They are falling every class, it is just it is part of specific things they are working on

Example they work on "Shomen Uchi Ikkyo". Learn how to apply it and fall when applied. What she wanted was not to know what was coming and how to respond to it, Randori. It is just her Sensei sees the Ukemi of this to be a bit more advanced

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score

That's awesome and yes both of those are my favorite things in aikido. I know my ukemi has improved dramatically since I first began aikido almost 2 years ago. This is even after taking judo for a couple years as well.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Talking about belt ranks with my little Aikidoka, the kids have colored belts, and she said this to me..
"I'm not all that concerned about belts anymore, they don't mean much anyway, its the skill that matters"

She is a Blue belt with only one belt left to go in the kids class, brown, after that, when she is old enough she can move to the adult class. She seems to like the way the adult class works, they all wear white belts until they test for and reach black belt.

Also, me, being me, had a bit of a faux pas in her class last time. They were working on a move, her and another student, while her sensei was working with beginners, and my little Aikidoka and the other student just could not get the foot work down, they kept trying and I sat watching and I finally reached a point were I suddenly realized I was standing up telling them what the foot work was. Her sensei saw this came over and told me I should be out there on the mat with them and not sitting on the sidelines watching.

Yup, I felt stupid and later apologized to her sensei for interfering, his response was no worries, I give you a pass.... I said thank you , but assured him I would do better in the future at keeping my mouth shut.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think when she gets into the adult class you should join her it can be a great bonding activity, did you see the video of me doing escrima? My daughter has nothing but smiles.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So when you going to join the class then xue? I know you've contemplated it before.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Talking about belt ranks with my little Aikidoka, the kids have colored belts, and she said this to me..
"I'm not all that concerned about belts anymore, they don't mean much anyway, its the skill that matters"

She is a Blue belt with only one belt left to go in the kids class, brown, after that, when she is old enough she can move to the adult class. She seems to like the way the adult class works, they all wear white belts until they test for and reach black belt.

Also, me, being me, had a bit of a faux pas in her class last time. They were working on a move, her and another student, while her sensei was working with beginners, and my little Aikidoka and the other student just could not get the foot work down, they kept trying and I sat watching and I finally reached a point were I suddenly realized I was standing up telling them what the foot work was. Her sensei saw this came over and told me I should be out there on the mat with them and not sitting on the sidelines watching.

Yup, I felt stupid and later apologized to her sensei for interfering, his response was no worries, I give you a pass.... I said thank you , but assured him I would do better in the future at keeping my mouth shut.
You just wanted to help.. a natural parent thing to do :) Maybe your Chinese styles are more of a match for you than Aikido?? Do you think you might ever seriously consider it? How would Aiki practice affect your Supreme Ultimate do you think?? Jx

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First let me say, my little aikidoka asked me just yesterday if I was ever going to try aikido and I had to tell her I am not sure and that was a difficult answer for me to give her

I think when she gets into the adult class you should join her it can be a great bonding activity, did you see the video of me doing escrima? My daughter has nothing but smiles.

I would like to, but I am not sure it is possible at this point

So when you going to join the class then xue? I know you've contemplated it before.

Based on recent medical issues, arthritis, at this point I absolutely cannot sit in seiza or cross legged and shikko is impossible. But time will tell

You just wanted to help.. a natural parent thing to do :) Maybe your Chinese styles are more of a match for you than Aikido?? Do you think you might ever seriously consider it? How would Aiki practice affect your Supreme Ultimate do you think?? Jx

I can't remember the name of the application they were doing, but the stepping was very similar to a couple other things I know. The end result was different, but not that different.

I am considering it, but I am not sure it is a realistic consideration at this point. I would like to work on ukemi, that would help my taiji and my little aikidoka, but I am not sure about that at the moment either. My wife is a bit over protective at the moment due to a second detached retina issue I just went through

As for the effect aikido has on taiji, they are similar and I have seen a lot of similarities. I think they would, at least at first, be a nice compliment. However later, I think I would have to make a decision as to which one to seriously train.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Most sensei will allow you to stand if you have a medical condition so don't write it off especially if your daughter is asking. It might be worth asking the Sensei and telling him your condition and limitations.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First let me say, my little aikidoka asked me just yesterday if I was ever going to try aikido and I had to tell her I am not sure and that was a difficult answer for me to give her

I would like to, but I am not sure it is possible at this point

Based on recent medical issues, arthritis, at this point I absolutely cannot sit in seiza or cross legged and shikko is impossible. But time will tell

I can't remember the name of the application they were doing, but the stepping was very similar to a couple other things I know. The end result was different, but not that different.

I am considering it, but I am not sure it is a realistic consideration at this point. I would like to work on ukemi, that would help my taiji and my little aikidoka, but I am not sure about that at the moment either. My wife is a bit over protective at the moment due to a second detached retina issue I just went through

As for the effect aikido has on taiji, they are similar and I have seen a lot of similarities. I think they would, at least at first, be a nice compliment. However later, I think I would have to make a decision as to which one to seriously train.
A detached retina? Like boxers?? Wow that is not a small thing to deal with! Well good news to hear you have a protective Mrs Xue, reckon your vision is most important.. your doc have said MA practice is a precipitating factor in your eye troubles?? Ukemi is good for any person to know.. not as good as two working eyes tho!! :) x Hope you keep well mister.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A detached retina? Like boxers?? Wow that is not a small thing to deal with! Well good news to hear you have a protective Mrs Xue, reckon your vision is most important.. your doc have said MA practice is a precipitating factor in your eye troubles?? Ukemi is good for any person to know.. not as good as two working eyes tho!! :) x Hope you keep well mister.

This is the second detached retina in the same eye. First time they are fairly sure it was from getting hit in the eye training with some Wing Chun guys. This time however, they have no idea why it happened, there was no trauma, it just happened, and it started while on vacation in Norway.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is the second detached retina in the same eye. First time they are fairly sure it was from getting hit in the eye training with some Wing Chun guys. This time however, they have no idea why it happened, there was no trauma, it just happened, and it started while on vacation in Norway.
Sorry to hear about the retina issues Xue I hope it heals up good.

Latest Discussions