i haven't seen a person move like scott sonnon does

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, As I know nothing of Loki or "Nitai Dean" I will chalk it up to an honest mistake and gracefully bow out of the picture. If this forum is in fact acknowledged to be a 'systema' forum the moderators should list it as such on the index. I wish all of you the best in your training and search for truth in combat.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I seem to have caused a bit of chaos here so I'll clarify:

The Nitai Dean movie is a joke. I saw the post on SS and gave it a look, saw the rolling clip and didn't understand what I was watching. Looking at it from a completely ignorant POV, it looks like a grown man rolling on the grass. I decided to further this "ignorance is bliss" approach and asked Nitai to roll around on the grass. Some catchy techno music and voila! a parody.

I admit to not having the knowledge to appreciate SS' work, and mean no offense to him or any fans. It was purely for laughs.

It is true that I do not practice Systema. One need only look at my art and rank section above any post I wrote.

SonnyPuzikas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
IMO we should clear some things up. What Scott Sonnon does is called Rmax- not ROSS. Scott is no longer associated with that organization. Rmax is not a Russian martial art in Sonnons own words. While many would argue and say that large percentage of what Scott does is clearly methods, principles, movements and techniques borrowed (and often modified) from various RMA's, and observing SS work such statements would be hard to argue with, Scott states that rmax is not an RMA and not an MA for that matter.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SonnyPuzikas said:
Scott states that rmax is not an RMA and not an MA for that matter.
Not a martial? Like what Bruce Lee said about Jeet Kune Do, or in some other sense, I wonder?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Similar. IIRC, Scott's of the belief that RMAX philosophy, conditioning, training, drills etc are all of valuable benefit to all Martial Arts.

Something of that nature.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Similar. IIRC, Scott's of the belief that RMAX philosophy, conditioning, training, drills etc are all of valuable benefit to all Martial Arts.

Something of that nature.
I agree! That was the way I interpreted his work. I know that his material is very useful for us. I think his stuff is applicable to many martial art styles, because it focuses on movement. I use his material myself.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, I would like to thank Sonny for clearing up any confusion of what Ss presently offers...I knew what he was kind enough to write, and was only attempting to outline all of 'what' SS is overall known for in N. America. R-Max is now Scots chosen voice - and Sonny is very correct in his post.

Old Tiger, once again - I amy not have made myself clear enough. Overall, if one was to work through the myriad threads in this 'RMA' site - one would find mostly Sytema posters - BUT - belive me here, I (as the Mod of this lil section of Martial Talk) would heartfully WELCOME threads started by SAMBO, ROSS, Kadoshnikov, Buza (and more RMA) students..but we dont seem to get much of that here - so as I mentioned -- THIS is 'basically' A Systema section - not by title nor design - but more by the overall number of threads and responses here, mostly form Systemans.

BUT ALL RMA ARE VERY WELCOME!

ALL students of things martial are welcome here - RMA or not!

Sure, there are many sections to the Martial Talk site -- but I would hope that real seekers of open mind see beyond labels and styles..and if they wish to post here about things of interest, general to the martial community - or things specific to the methods known as RMA - please do so!

Bob Hubbard has give us this space to be RMA - but it really is open to all of the way.

Old Tiger, my name is Rob. And I extend you an open invite to post about Sambo - or whatever martial subject or thoughts you wish to share.

Though the numbers in this section are often of Systema - I assure you, you will find the majority open to ideas and expressions of personal training, experience and free thought. This is a RMA section - but the 'R' is only a third of the title- the 'MA' is the greater part of all of this, sir.

Pull up a chair, the Russian Standard vodka is always cold here - and I ocassionally foot the bill for the excellent Brooklyn pizza! Sit down, grab a slice of the Sicilian square pie - and get a chilled glass.....I pour the first round.

Nastrovia!

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rob,
Thank you very much for the invite and the clarification. I realize that this forum is primarly Systema by default and I understand that. I will be happy to try to post some things about Sombo and hopefully other Russian MA will become active abuot their styles as well. I'm sure we can all learn from each other.

Arnisador:
There are a lot of good historical articles about sombo on the internet. I could post some links if you like. Weren't you at the recent Martialtalk meet and greet in Buffalo? I thought I met you there when I did the mini seminar on groundfighting. Please tell me I am not getting senile!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, we've met in Buffalo, but it wasn't at the Meet & Greet! I forget when exactly it was.

I'm studying BJJ and am especially interested in what's different about Sambo. I know that Sambo emphasizes ankle locks that can be good when caught in the guard, for example!

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sombo is famous for its leglocks. They have also made what they feel are improvements in a lot of traditional throws. That point is arguable at best among Judoka and Sombist but we get along well. Many people associate Sombo as "Jacket Wreslting" which it is but it is a well balanced system of throws, takedowns, groundfighting (including submissions, hooks, chokes, strangles, and positional control) and in Combat sombo striking of all kinds, dirty fighting and weapons are taught. I was always taught that the emphasis in Sombo (also spelled Sambo and Cambo) is how quickly you can destroy your opponent. It has an interesting history drawn from many martial arts and a military influence. I like it because it shamelessly adopts any technique that it finds to be practical and functional in combat. There is a lot more to leglocks than ankle locks and heel hooks. We like leglocks because generally you are able to submit or seriously injure your opponent from these positions and they are unable to hit, bite, strike or kick you as you do. Hope that whets your appetite!
http://cclib.nsu.ru/projects/satbi/satbi-e/statyi/sambo.html
http://cclib.nsu.ru/projects/satbi/satbi-e/martart/ruseng.html
http://cclib.nsu.ru/projects/satbi/satbi-e/martart/sambo.html

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Styles and names mean nothing to the open hearted seekr of truth!\

Its a blessing..and sometimes...a curse.

Any warrior wayist only wishes to protect, serve and survive. This IS The Way.

Sambo, Systema - -lol - ro-shambo~ (for the South Park fans) - blade, bullet or fist - we go home safely and live to fight another day. Thats the martial way.

All that walk this way - are our community.

I wish all peace and safely home.

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
NYCRonin said:
Styles and names mean nothing to the open hearted seekr of truth!\

Its a blessing..and sometimes...a curse.

Any warrior wayist only wishes to protect, serve and survive. This IS The Way.

Sambo, Systema - -lol - ro-shambo~ (for the South Park fans) - blade, bullet or fist - we go home safely and live to fight another day. Thats the martial way.

All that walk this way - are our community.

I wish all peace and safely home.

Agreed

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And in your agreement, sir - - I would wish you to continue to post freely.
Post about Sambo - post about your life experinces - -that which makes us the same is far lesser than our seperations, da?

ALL RMA has a home here - in M. Talk.
If not? Why would I be here in the first place?

Anybody here do Siberian Loach?

Or K-Sys?

Or Russia whateva?
Just speak freely - but speak for yourself! You will find a very open forum here!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
coulrophobe said:
i haven't seen much of systema, but i'm definately gonna check it out. it's just crazy to me how he just shrugs off punches. i'm not seeing any schools in my area, so i'm gonna have to check out a seminar if they ever make it out my way.
Some of the groundwork in the FLOW videos have a lot of similarity to Capoeira. Capoeira doesn't like to put body parts on the ground, meaning we always have a hand or foot or the head on the ground (unless we are doing an aerial of some sort), but the essential flow is very similar. Saw some things that looked identical, actually.

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
NYCRonin said:
And in your agreement, sir - - I would wish you to continue to post freely.
Post about Sambo - post about your life experinces - -that which makes us the same is far lesser than our seperations, da?

ALL RMA has a home here - in M. Talk.

Hi Rob, sorry to have been away so long. I just got out of the hospital after five days and am still pretty weak and full of pain meds.
Here is an announcement from Steve Koepfer that may interest some on the forum. Also, this new 'freestyle' sombo that is becoming popular should be a good thing for the art as it allow a wider range of techniques in competition.
Here is Steve's message:
Hi all,
The American Sambo Association and Black Mark Productions *are proud to announce that February 4th, 2006 marks the return of Freestyle Sambo to the Battle of Brooklyn. www.battleofbrooklyn.com*
After the great success of the last Battle of Brooklyn, we look forward to a full card of Muay Thai, San Da, and Freestyle Sambo fights on February 4th!
We will be holding 4 man tournaments in at least 2 different weight classes at this event as well as some single matches if possible. If you or one of your fighters are interested in fighting in this show, visit http://www.battleofbrooklyn.com/fightapp.asp*and fill out the fighter application. WE WILL NOT PROCESS ANY FIGHTER WHO DOES NOT FILL OUT THIS APPLICATION COMPLETELY. If you have already filled out an application, simply e-mail me to confirm that I have it and note your interest in fighting.
Rules are available on the website as well.* Please feel free to write with any questions you may have.
Sincerely,
Stephen R Koepfer
Matchmaker, Battle of Brooklyn Tournament Series
President, American Sambo Association
Head Coach, New York Combat Sambo
(718) 728-8054
e-mail: [email protected]
e-mail: [email protected]
www.americansamboassociation.com
www.worldwidegrappling.com
www.kidskickingcancer.net
www.battleofbrooklyn.com

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Old Tiger -- I also wish you well....and am also (too lightly) associated with 'Sambo Steve'. He seems so well commited to his group and his art - and when Vlad did some FightHouse seminars a coupla years ago, I was HONORED to find my training partner to often be Steve's instructor!

He was not that much older than I -- but he had a seeking mind, a sensitive nervous system - and was 'very strong in movement'. He returned to Russia, and I am a better Systeman because of training and sharing all too briefly with him.

I have yet to meet Steve -- I have promise to keep to him and his training group, and he is as patient as reflects the Russian people.

Old Tiger -- I feel you would also have liked the 'old' "Russian Bear" that is Steves guide in Sambo.

The days you mentioned for the Battle in Brooklyn - -might be days I can attend! I thank you for the heads up...maybe I can meet Steve there at last.

Steve. I knew his teacher in training in Sytema -- and I have a feeling that the apple did not fall far from the tree!

As far as time between repies goes - I have learned patience also. Thanx for the reply.

Bolshoi Spaciba, moy druk.

Latest Discussions