I Guess TSD is Okinawan-based After All

kbarrett

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I basiclly depends on what style of Tang Soo Do that is being taught, the old Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, was a blend of Korean, Okinawan, & Chinese martial arts. The Chung Do Kwan Tang Soo Do that GM Won Kuk Lee taught was more Okinawan than the one the Moo Duk Kwan taught By GM Hwang Kee, we know GM Hwang Kee trained in China,and we also know he train for a short time with GM Won Kuk Lee, so he blended what he learn in China with what he learned from GM Won Kuk Lee together to form the Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do after his Hwa Soo do Moo Duk Kwan failed.

Actually Tang Soo Do is a contact style, once again it really depend on the instructor about how much contact they will allow, as I said in another post Tang Soo Do doesn't allow punching to the face, only body contact. Even Shotokan and Kyoushin have contact but not to the face, as with any sparring getting hit happens you simply bow show respect and continue sparring (if face contact is made) something else to think about most people training have jobs, the last thing they want to do is go to work the next day with a black eye, fat lips, or a marked up face, that why most don't allow face contact.

Sincerely
Ken Barrett

Latest Discussions