I don't understand.....

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
Member Kung Fu Wang signiture includes the line "Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world."
I have only been amember for a couple months, although I am an old man, I have no idea what this means?

Can someone shed some light for me?
Thanks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Member Kung Fu Wang signiture includes the line "Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world."
I have only been amember for a couple months, although I am an old man, I have no idea what this means?

Can someone shed some light for me?
Thanks.
As a foreign student, by writing that poem, I got "A" for my English course in the University of Texas at Austin. 9 hours English credit was the requirement for a BA degree. Among those 9 hours English credit, at least 3 hours has to be English poem.

Crow + weep + dark + Tide + bellow + north wind = lonesome.

When one was young and alone in a foreign country (no relative, no girlfriend), that was how he felt.

crow_weep_in_the dark.jpg

tide_below.jpg

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does it have meaning, or just words?
Just use words to describe one's feeling. When one was young, he might feel sad about

- autumn (near cold winter).
- sunset (near complete darkness).

When one gets older, he may feel happy about

- autumn (cool and comfortable).
- sunset (about time to go to bed).

I assume one may feel differently when he was young vs. when he is old.

Of course, when one writes a poem, sometimes he may pretend to be sad, or sometimes, he is truly sad. At that time, I just transferred from The University of Kansas at Lawrence to the University of Texas at Austin. I lost all my friends in Lawrence, Kansas.

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who…<looks around>…who are you…talking to? Are you…hearing voices in your head 😳

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take those. The problem is I take the others' medications as well. I *like* the white jacket with the long sleeves. It's like a big hug.
😀😃😄😁😆😅😂🤣😂🤣😂

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A very nice haiku, Kung Fu Wang. Time, nature, feeling - it's all there. I hope you can hear thrushes singing in the bushes, the whisper of the lapping tide, be caressed by a summer breeze and have someone to keep you company nowadays.

Latest Discussions