I did not atend

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
This sunday I did not atend to an examn in my dojang, I did not want to show up, I felt it was a waste of time.

Truth be told I dislike examinations because I didn't see the why, I'm still don't get why I have to do partial examination before the second dan test. In the old days as I recall once one student reaches the level of black belt firsth degree will not do promotion to second dan test afther two full years of hard trining, for the second degree black belt test one has to achieve three full years of hard trainining,etc,etc.
Now days one's have to do test avaery two or three months and I don't see why? Can any one explain me this?.

Is it too much to see I always atend TKD classes to improve health and to learn Self Defense? Yes I like poomsae, and one and tree steps kyorugi and the board breacking thing and already know one's have to show improvement but every two or three months? c'mon sambunim knows the improvement grade just to watch us doing the training every day.

I'm in TKD not for the examinations but for learning new things (something is not happening), learning new technikes too.

Every tome my sambunim ask me if I'm gona do examination I really feel unconfortable and don't know why, besides weekends are for me and my family and like to do another things instead to go early in the morning to do examination.

Maybe I'm wrong, just maybe.

Manny

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Manny, you have reached a level that you are comfortable with and your instructor should respect that. You have every right not to attend examinations if you do not want to. There is nothing wrong with deciding that stripes on your belt is not your motivation. As you said, you want to learn new techniques and it does not matter how many stripes you have on your belt for that aspect. What does matter, however, is how long you have been doing TKD and how often you train.

Your instructor might think that you are not testing because you do not feel confident. You might want to sit down and have a talk with the instructor so that they know why you are not testing.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, you have reached a level that you are comfortable with and your instructor should respect that. You have every right not to attend examinations if you do not want to. There is nothing wrong with deciding that stripes on your belt is not your motivation. As you said, you want to learn new techniques and it does not matter how many stripes you have on your belt for that aspect. What does matter, however, is how long you have been doing TKD and how often you train.

Your instructor might think that you are not testing because you do not feel confident. You might want to sit down and have a talk with the instructor so that they know why you are not testing.

Than you a lot for you fast reply, I train twice per week, and I realy like my sambunim and my dojang but what kind of improvement can I have if we only doall the same high kicks to the mitts (palchagis) everyday, and only practicing poomsae really hard a weeks before the examination?

Yes I feel not motivated it's true, so basically I go dojang to do exercise this days, however there is nothing new for me.

Lack of motivation is the point.

Manny

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Than you a lot for you fast reply, I train twice per week, and I realy like my sambunim and my dojang but what kind of improvement can I have if we only doall the same high kicks to the mitts (palchagis) everyday, and only practicing poomsae really hard a weeks before the examination?

Difficult. I know exactly what you are saying. There are no easy answers!

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny,

I have been there. It seams sometimes training is like a hamster in the cage on his wheel spinning along and going nowhere. I have had to just train for the exercises from time to time then out of no where I am inspired again. Talk to your Master tell him what is going on. Sometimes they can help you get fresh ideas on training that kicks the inspiration off for ya. As for missing the test if your heart is not in it it will reflect on your performance.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Those of us who have read Manny's previous threads know his school is primarily composed of children and they have a sport focus that bores him, since he would prefer more practical self-defense work. I won't touch more on his motivation since I don't think he's ever going to get out of his current school what he wants (and needs), but I would ask from a loyalty standpoint if Manny feels like he should attend the test regardless to give support to his fellow students, even if they are younger than him.

Manny, you seem to like the people there well enough. As a black belt holder, do you feel a responsibility to help out by appearing at the exam, even if it's only to help administer the test?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Success is a journey, not a destination. Exams are like mileposts along the journey. Pass them enjoy the view and look forward to the next part of the journey.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny,

I kinda know what you feel. I am a 2nd dan in judo. I will be eligible for 3rd dan soon. I am approved now, I just don't have the points needed. However, as an instructor I know I should continue going up so my students can do so as well.

I haven't made a priority of ranking in hapkido or tae kwon do because I have put a lot of effort into judo. I still want my tae kwon do bb more because I want that to be something I finished and not the one thing I let get away and didn't finish.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for the suport. Dancingalone's words are right, my dojang is a warm little one focused on children/family sports oriented, I really like the dojang athmosphere and friendship, I'm a senior (41) and the oldest BB in dojan and I have some status, all the kids and their parents recognized me as some kind of BIG brother, in fact some times I give advise to the kids and parents, also I like to teach to the beginers.

Yes, sometimes I get bored of train with kids and teens cause his/hers training is sports oriented and as you allready know I'm in the search of more martiality and more self defense oriented classes cause that's my thing.

Answering dancingalone's question.... As a black belt holder I have atend some examinations to help out not as a responsability but care, I mean to help my sambunim, the kids and the sinodal because I feel it, not for resposability. However I have to tell you I have a very stressfull job and don't sleep well at nights some times so I use weekends to rest and sleep and go out with my family and share more with the girls and in some cases with my dad (we hunt and shoot together).

In this case my sambunim wanted me to do the examination and showing up just to help and don't test would give me a bad face of my sambunim, I would not feel comfortable with this in dojang.

KellyG has made a good point too, sometimes I feel like the hamster just runing to nowere.

Yes, it's lack of motivation and this sometimes put me down and this does not allowed me as Matt says: I don't have the poits needed , and I would rather prefer to be a god plain back belt, tha a mediocre second dan black belt.

Manny

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We follow the testing schedule you describe, 2 years to II Dan, 3 years to III Dan, etc - except that it's a minimum, not a given.

If you don't feel the need to test, then don't. I don't see any reason why black belts should be testing for intermediate ranks. Pretesting, sure - but our pretesting involves traveling to a variety of different classes and being observed by other instructors as you work out in their classes, then asking them to watch various testing requirements to get their opinion of your readiness to test - but there's no fee, no indication of rank, just a signature on a form that you either did, or did not, perform that particular requirement to the appropriate standard.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I won't touch more on his motivation since I don't think he's ever going to get out of his current school what he wants (and needs)

Leaves you with a difficult decision. Like the school and Sabum, don't get what you want from the classes... If there are other schools in the area, I guess logic would dictate looking around.

I still want my tae kwon do bb more because I want that to be something I finished and not the one thing I let get away and didn't finish.

Some times on here I read good things that make me happier with the world, that is one of them.

Pros: I really like the dojang athmosphere and friendship, I have some status, all the kids and their parents recognized me as some kind of BIG brother, also I like to teach to the beginers.

Cons: sometimes I get bored of train with kids and teens cause his/hers training is sports oriented and as you allready know I'm in the search of more martiality and more self defense oriented classes cause that's my thing.
You may have to make a choice here. Are there other schools? Would you be happy treading water where you are for a while? Do you know enough to offer to teach some of the things that you feel are lacking yourself?

I have to tell you I have a very stressfull job and don't sleep well at nights some times so I use weekends to rest and sleep and go out with my family and share more with the girls and in some cases with my dad (we hunt and shoot together)

The modern day battle for work/life balance. Great eh? :barf:

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have noticed, not saying all, but definatley some, do the testing as a way to generate revenue. Because Black Belts tests are so much farther apart, some schools and styles have made mandatory Quarterly (or so) testing and require it to attain the next belt level. I don't agree with this but I do see a benefit from testing like that if its not of sole purpose to generate revenue for the instructor. I attended a school once when i was stationed in FL that was a "Business" first. TKD second. Each rank had tip testing, each BB had quarterly testing. It all cost money. Not chump change either. full price testing fees to get a piece of tape or a certicate for the BB. I do not wish to name them outright because it was a good school and NATIONWIDE organization. But the priority definately fell to the business first. I was a 3rd Dan when i trained there and only trained to train. I paid my monthly fees and took away what i could. I was offered to test for their 3rd many times but did not because i did not wish to pay the money. I learned alot about business there, studying how they operated. Definatley the money making came first. TKD second. But all of the students and instructors were good. Thats why i stuck around.

so just my thoughts. there's good and bad in testing between ranks. I guess it just depends on what the motive behind the instructor is. you should always take away some benefit from the situation.

Latest Discussions