Hung Kuen 5 pattern kung fu

MikeG

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im thinking of taking this art up, i have seen a few classes but my concerns are the stances / animal patterns. Has anyone any experience on its effectiveness on the street.

I know a lot of it is down to the practitioner, however is it an art that is effective and can become effective fairly soon or do you need to do it for many many years for you to be able to use it in a self defence situation.

Ive also had the chance to try Hapkido but i cant make up my mind which would be the most beneficial if ever needed to defend myself while on the street.

thanks in advance

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im thinking of taking this art up, i have seen a few classes but my concerns are the stances / animal patterns. Has anyone any experience on its effectiveness on the street.

I know a lot of it is down to the practitioner, however is it an art that is effective and can become effective fairly soon or do you need to do it for many many years for you to be able to use it in a self defence situation.

Ive also had the chance to try Hapkido but i cant make up my mind which would be the most beneficial if ever needed to defend myself while on the street. Thanks in advance
Hung-Ga is a wonderfully deep martial art with a life times worth of study.
It does require dedicated daily practice & the initial learning curve is steep. If trained correctly you will have some raw basic skill in about six months. When you progress to the level of 5 Animal training your concerns of it's effectiveness will be long behind you.

Go check out as many schools as you can & find the style that suits you best.

Latest Discussions