Hsing-I training question

mfuent1

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello to you all. I'm a newbie to the community and pleased to be here. I had originally posted my questions at the end of a thread that somewhat addresses my question but realized that it might not be seen, so please forgive my duplication here. I wish to resume Hsing-I training after quite a few years away from regular practice. I studied formally for two years and continued practicing on my own for several years afterward but my practice slowly dwindled to zero after taking up Yang style T'ai Chi. I would like to add more vigor to my training and would like to practice the Five Elements. I understand the importance of extended San Ti Shi and will of course include that in my practice. My question is, would it be preferable to divide the rest of each day's practice session equally among the Five Elements, or to practice one element for the full time? And if the latter, would it be better to do each element for one day and move on to the next the following day, or to spend a week (or more) on one before switching? I'm just an old dude not looking to compete anymore, just to improve my health and fitness. I thank you for your time and consideration.

OP
M

mfuent1

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I read your advice and I am grateful.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you know all 5 elements I would say practice all 5.

I do not know how long you practice so it is some what difficult to advice.

I also see nothing wrong with maybe going with the full 5 and maybe spending some extra time on one fist you find difficult.

I train quite a bit on Peng myself.

OP
M

mfuent1

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I learned all five elements and twelve animals, though I no longer feel capable of properly performing several of the animals these days. I am of the mind that it will be better for me to focus on the elements, at least for the present. I'm looking forward to renewing acquaintance with my "old friends" and I thank you for your response.