How to box without getting too much brain damage?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
The problems don't manifest in the gym or the days and weeks that follow. Years down the line can be an entirely different story.
I run into guys from time to time that I knew from boxing. Haven't seen them in twenty years or more. Some of them are just fine, but others are not, they can hardly be understood when they speak. Makes me want to cry sometimes.

Don't get hit in the head too much. Especially if you box.
I agree, I've seen at least one old boxer randomly come to the gym to hit the bags, I couldn't understand him. Our coach inferred that's what happens when you take fights out of your class or take fights solely for money without caring about a loss. I don't doubt it happens but again as a casual amateur I don't think its something you have to worry about. Another thing a lot of people who don't box may not realize, is that if you get rocked, take a knee. The fight is paused and the coach can make sure you're good to proceed, it's like tapping in bjj, you do it to avoid injury. Like I said boxing isn't without risk but brain injury shouldn't stop you from trying it out. Most people quit before they're even ready to spar, the conditioning is hard enough and its worth experiencing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "rhino guard" serves only one purpose, That is to protect your head from being punched. It doesn't protect you from body shots or take downs. But when your opponent uses low line body shots on you, his head will be exposed for your "head shots" (since both of your hands are so close to his face).

Your opponent only needs one shot to your liver and you will be down throwing your guts up. Their head won't necessarily be open for your head shots anyway.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
The "rhino guard" serves only one purpose, That is to protect your head from being punched. It doesn't protect you from body shots or take downs. But when your opponent uses low line body shots on you, his head will be exposed for your "head shots" (since both of your hands are so close to his face).

The mindset is "I don't want you to punch my head but I want to punch your head".

I can see that strategy of course but the reverse is true also. A competant is able to time you and enter and hit the body because it's wide open and cover or evade your counter to the head. This is why in boxing you don't punch down to the body, you drop your level and punch straight to the body. Of course there's a counter for every counter too.

Latest Discussions