How screwed up are government programs, a new look.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is another article about screwed up government programs. I know, it is shocking to learn that the government is still messing things up. I am sure that by 2014, when we are all under Obamacare all of this mess will be finally fixed. The article:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/welfare-gone-wild/

from the article:

A newly commissioned audit reveals that more than 2,900 dead people may have received more than $23 million in Social Security disability insurance payments. As detailed in the IG’s report,
4,699 beneficiaries remained in suspended pay status despite the death information on their Numident ["Numerical Identification System," the Social Security Administration's (SSA's) file on an individual.] We estimate 2,976 of these beneficiaries were improperly paid approximately $23.8 million.
And 157 people whose benefits had been terminated were still paid more than $300,000. The IG even concluded that the personal information of 2,715 beneficiaries was at risk of being released to the public. What’s to blame? According to the IG, SSA
did not have adequate controls to identify and timely resolve discrepancies between the Numident and MBR [Master Beneficiary Record].

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Here is another article about screwed up government programs. I know, it is shocking to learn that the government is still messing things up. I am sure that by 2014, when we are all under Obamacare all of this mess will be finally fixed. The article:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/welfare-gone-wild/

from the article:

A newly commissioned audit reveals that more than 2,900 dead people may have received more than $23 million in Social Security disability insurance payments. As detailed in the IG’s report,
4,699 beneficiaries remained in suspended pay status despite the death information on their Numident ["Numerical Identification System," the Social Security Administration's (SSA's) file on an individual.] We estimate 2,976 of these beneficiaries were improperly paid approximately $23.8 million.
And 157 people whose benefits had been terminated were still paid more than $300,000. The IG even concluded that the personal information of 2,715 beneficiaries was at risk of being released to the public. What’s to blame? According to the IG, SSA
did not have adequate controls to identify and timely resolve discrepancies between the Numident and MBR [Master Beneficiary Record].
For context, in 2009, Social Security paid disability to over 8.9 million people to the tune of over $9 billion. That's almost 97% payment accuracy. Room for improvement, but let's be real. How many health insurance companies can claim 97% payment accuracy? Or said another way, who here has never had an issue with their health insurance?

Also, "suspended pay status" means non-payment.

But the question I have is, what does this have to do with the Health Care Reform Act?

Latest Discussions