How heavy a bag?

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would like to buy a bag so I can practice and train at home. I don't want too heavy of a bag whereby when I hit it my leg will take a lot of impact, but I don't want it too light either. I am 5'2 and 110 lbs..does anyone know if I should get a 40lb or 70lb bag? They also have 25lb, but I think that would be too light.. I'd appreciate any suggestions

S

Spitfire

I'd go ahead and get the 70lb. one. The extra weight will be nice for side kicks and spinning/jumping/flying techniques.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Aye, I would go with that suggestion. More weight = more ability to take punishment and also its nice to hit something that doesn't give as much as the lighter bags. But it really is personal preferance. A free-standing one might work just as well for you also.

Also being that your in TKD, more weight will help keep the bag from swinging out all over the place.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
adictd2tkdgirl said:
I would like to buy a bag so I can practice and train at home. I don't want too heavy of a bag whereby when I hit it my leg will take a lot of impact, but I don't want it too light either. I am 5'2 and 110 lbs..does anyone know if I should get a 40lb or 70lb bag? They also have 25lb, but I think that would be too light.. I'd appreciate any suggestions

To be frank and honest,the heavier the bag and better results that you wil get.I 70lb bad would be good for punchinf techniques and some high kicks,but a 200lb Muay Thai bag would be better!After about a month or so,the power of your kicks will increase dramaticly!Dont get me wrong-a 70lb bag will up your power(anything is better than hit straight air),but the heavier the bag(within reason) the better results.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
70- lbs is good, but make sure its not too hard. If it moves, its more realistic and forces you to work on timing. I got a 100 lb bag and had to open it up and remove the sand paks cuz they had settled and were off center. I got some plastic jars and filled them and centered and repacked the bag. You can always lighten a bigger bag.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Heavy? is it neccessary? NO ...most hanging bags can be strap on the bottom to hold them steady. I have a long hanging bag stuff with foam (super light weight- maybe 15lbs or so.) ...works just fine and easy to remove and put away....or bring to class (hold for kicks). ....Aloha

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hanging a bag is kind of tricky. You have to have really good support or it will tear out and you have to be able to contain it so that it doesn't damage any walls. Also the rebound on it isn't so great as you have to wait for the bag to stop swinging. All I found it good for (a really heavy bag) was doing flying sidekick and since it was so heavy it wasn't good on joints.

I would advise you to get a standup bag like the Wavemaster from Century. At: http://www.centuryma.com/ It is great to punch and kick. I like doing jump back kick, 360 jump back etc. but no spin heels unless you just brush it as it will hyperextend your knee. You can fill the bottom with water and it is adjustable to height and also can be moved around. And it can be emptied as well. Don't fill it with sand unless you don't want to move it and it is difficult to empty. It will scoot a little. I have one in the basement and it is on berber (flat) carpet with no pad on cement floor. It would also be good to get a puzzle mat if you plan to jump, also for your joints. Unless you already have good carpeting and a wood floor. You may not feel discomfort from jumping now but later in life you will. Be kind to your joints. ;) There is also a great bag which Marginal uses. Its at: http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=24843 It is on a spring which could be used for spin heel which you will be doing a lot of! Anyway thats what I would do. TW

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would also take a good, honest look at where in your home you would have either a standing bag or a hanging bag. Apartment dwellers, for example, would be better served with a standing bag. If you plan to put a hanging bag in your basement, make sure it will have room to swing about and a good structure to hang it from. The same applies to a bag in a garage.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also worth mentioning that Wavemasters tend to be much louder than a hanging bag. (At least when filled with water, never tried sand in mine.) Sounds amplified plus the thumping as the thing rocks around. If you're in an apartment, you stand a good chance of meeting your neighbors if you hit it too early/late.

A freestanding bag hanger might be an option to look into as well, though they aren't perfect either. (Good ones tend to be pricey, they take up loads of space, and need to be bolted or weighted down.) Watch the frames to make sure they don't overly restict kicking ranges too.

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am actually looking into a new bag myself. I think I have a 60 lb bag I got many, many years ago (at Herman's Sporting Goods if anyone remembers them) and it just swings to much when punching. I am now considering a 100 lb bag.

I do have a wave master filled with sand, but it keeps moving on me. It is currently on the basement floor, I was thinking there has to be something I can put under it to slow down the slidding away. Any opinions would be appreciated.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Slihn said:
To be frank and honest,the heavier the bag and better results that you wil get.I 70lb bad would be good for punchinf techniques and some high kicks,but a 200lb Muay Thai bag would be better!After about a month or so,the power of your kicks will increase dramaticly!Dont get me wrong-a 70lb bag will up your power(anything is better than hit straight air),but the heavier the bag(within reason) the better results.

This is very true. And if you (adictd2tkdgirl) can find a Thai bag, I would go for it. The only real concern you should have is that the bag might weigh to much. Hitting something in training that weighs more then about 150% of your own weight can be bad thing. And Thai bags are desighened to give as little as possible, and since it weighs almost twice what you do, the result could be disasterous if you hit wrong.

John

TonyMac

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd go with as heavy a bag as you can afford and or hang.

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you have a place to hang it from that will support it, get the heavier one. Not only will it take your techniques better, if it starts out to heavy, it will make you improve the strength of your techniques to compensate. Thats not a bad thing.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My teacher had 3 bags-1 had rags full & around 80lbs. now the other which has been seen on the private with James Coburn was 300lbs.Bruce said(if you can move this ,you can stop any attack)Now the last was a small top & bottom supending & though it was a small canvis looking asround 40lbs.He filled it with lead shots.We also had a figure of a man & 3 kicking shield.1-the canvis with tube inside.2-small size like canvis but made of wood & had 3 straps.3-huge sheild out of wood & basicaly had seat belts to hold it.I would say it depend on how hard you want to train & for what you want to train & what devise will best aid you to exspand your goals, (without losing sight of you main objective).Self defence,self preservation & self exploration!

Latest Discussions