How does one train or exercise?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
at this time I would say my goal is to get my body into shape and build some muscle in my arms and legs.
Your goal may not be aggressive enough.

What you are doing today is not important. The important is will you still do this when you are 80 years old? In other words, is your goal strong enough to push you for the next 50 years?

If you want to marry the most beautiful girl on earth, you will work much harder than just to marry the girl next door. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
An actual goal might help. Mud runs or competitions or whatever.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An actual goal might help.
Some goals can be fun to reach it.

- Hold 2 walnuts in your hand and try to crack it open (grip strength).
- Use jump kick to hit a target 8 feet from the ground (leg flexibility).
- Side kick a vertical standing concrete block on a table and break it before it flies away (kicking power).
- Break 2 concrete blocks with no space in between by hand (striking power).
- Crack a Karate belt until one day it break (arm strength).
- Squeeze open a small watermelon between your arm (head lock strength).
- Take 7 guys down by your single leg one after another (take down skill).

After you have achieved your goal. you will spend the rest of your lifetime to maintain it (if you don't want to lose it). You will keep your MA training until you are 80 years old.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want to marry the most beautiful girl on earth, you will work much harder than just to marry the girl next door. :)

What if your next door neighbor IS the most beautiful woman in the world? Do you work even harder?

But it’s of no consequence, as the most beautiful woman in the world is already married. And I didn’t have to try to impress her to marry me. :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi again!

So I wanted to ask advice on my exercise regime and also wanted to know what do you guys/gals do at home.
For me I do it 4 days a week at my home and I do class two days a week. I do not train or exercise at home on the days I go to class given im already training there. First question, is that the best way to do it? I thought training on the same day I go to class would be overkill and not be beneficial given I know you can harm yourself by doing TO much.
Moving on,
During my exercising I first start by stretching.
I live on the fourth floor of a apartment so to start my exercising I run up and down the four flights of stairs four times or until my legs refuse to keep going. (thats about four times for me haha)
Then I come back into the home and do 15 push ups and 15 curl ups.
Then I do jumping jacks and another 10 curl ups doing a different technique. After that I spread out my legs and lower my body down and hold that position for 10 seconds. I do squats 10.
After all of thoes I then practice my kicks and forms for both Hapkido and Teakwondo. After practicing those for a while I then do ten more push ups and then cool down with my stretching.

So thats my routine. What do you guys think? How do you do ti at home?

G'day!

Yeah some great advice already. I generally don't train on the nights I have MA training, unless it's some light mobility/flexibility work in the morning.

When I was in my old style I've left, I trained there twice a week, weight trained three times a week, and tried to get in another karate session of just stuff I really wanted to work on. Nowadays it's sort of similar anyway hehe.

But yeah it has to suit you and your aims. I will say that be wary of burning out symptoms, and really tune into yourself as to your fatigue levels and injuries etc. It's great to train hard but not at the expense of your health and generally how you feel every single day.

But great stuff, really cool routine! If you're looking to gain more muscle, weight training is the most direct way (along with proper nutrition). Specifically I'm a big fan of HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) and have followed it for years.

And agree with doing more dynamic stretching before training and static stretching afterwards, have always done that and it makes sense too.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
What if your next door neighbor IS the most beautiful woman in the world? Do you work even harder?

But it’s of no consequence, as the most beautiful woman in the world is already married. And I didn’t have to try to impress her to marry me. :)
And naawwwwwwww..... :)

OP
Superperson

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone help! I asked this question because I know I'm so new to MA and to exercising in general. I wanted to have a clear idea of what is good practice and not and what I should generally be doing when exercising / training. I didn't want to invest a into a training method or exercise regime and be wasting my time or causing damage to me.

Last edited:
OP
Superperson

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your goal may not be aggressive enough.

What you are doing today is not important. The important is will you still do this when you are 80 years old? In other words, is your goal strong enough to push you for the next 50 years?

Hmmm..Well My goal is hopefully a life long one! I truly love the feeling of exercising and I think its a great goal to get into shape. Honestly my goal starting this was a way to give a outlet to my anxiety and stress. Now that i've started it I find it has been helping me feel better and I defiantly feel like I could enjoy doing this for the foreseeable future. My goal is to be the very best I can be at my MA. I want to say that in my lifetime I gave it my all and tired my hardiest to reach the top. I think that even when im older and say a black belt I would still enjoy training and trying to reach higher or even maintain my level I was at. I can see my enjoying teaching way later down the line possible.
I hope thats what you mean by goal.

OP
Superperson

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
G'day!

Yeah some great advice already. I generally don't train on the nights I have MA training, unless it's some light mobility/flexibility work in the morning.

When I was in my old style I've left, I trained there twice a week, weight trained three times a week, and tried to get in another karate session of just stuff I really wanted to work on. Nowadays it's sort of similar anyway hehe.

But yeah it has to suit you and your aims. I will say that be wary of burning out symptoms, and really tune into yourself as to your fatigue levels and injuries etc. It's great to train hard but not at the expense of your health and generally how you feel every single day.

But great stuff, really cool routine! If you're looking to gain more muscle, weight training is the most direct way (along with proper nutrition). Specifically I'm a big fan of HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) and have followed it for years.

And agree with doing more dynamic stretching before training and static stretching afterwards, have always done that and it makes sense too.

Thank you for the solid advice! I'll look into your suggestions :D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To design a life long training program that can cover all different areas is not easy. You need to include:

- strength,
- endurance,
- balance,
- flexibility,
- skill,

You may have to constantly modify it until it's perfect.
That's not difficult one a day and two days rest !

OP
Superperson

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice! I just got a weighted jump rope so now I do 50 of those as a warm up prior to stretching. It helps allot. I'm hoping I'll get my endurance up and be able to increase the number I can do to 100! :D

Latest Discussions