How does one train or exercise?

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi again!

So I wanted to ask advice on my exercise regime and also wanted to know what do you guys/gals do at home.
For me I do it 4 days a week at my home and I do class two days a week. I do not train or exercise at home on the days I go to class given im already training there. First question, is that the best way to do it? I thought training on the same day I go to class would be overkill and not be beneficial given I know you can harm yourself by doing TO much.
Moving on,
During my exercising I first start by stretching.
I live on the fourth floor of a apartment so to start my exercising I run up and down the four flights of stairs four times or until my legs refuse to keep going. (thats about four times for me haha)
Then I come back into the home and do 15 push ups and 15 curl ups.
Then I do jumping jacks and another 10 curl ups doing a different technique. After that I spread out my legs and lower my body down and hold that position for 10 seconds. I do squats 10.
After all of thoes I then practice my kicks and forms for both Hapkido and Teakwondo. After practicing those for a while I then do ten more push ups and then cool down with my stretching.

So thats my routine. What do you guys think? How do you do ti at home?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi again!

So I wanted to ask advice on my exercise regime and also wanted to know what do you guys/gals do at home.
For me I do it 4 days a week at my home and I do class two days a week. I do not train or exercise at home on the days I go to class given im already training there. First question, is that the best way to do it? I thought training on the same day I go to class would be overkill and not be beneficial given I know you can harm yourself by doing TO much.
Moving on,
I live on the fourth floor of a apartment so to start my exercising I run up and down the four flights of stairs four times or until my legs refuse to keep going. (thats about four times for me haha)
Then I do jumping jacks and another 10 curl ups doing a different technique. After that I spread out my legs and lower my body down and hold that position for 10 seconds. I do squats 10.
After all of thoes I then practice my kicks and forms for both Hapkido and Teakwondo. After practicing those for a while I then do ten more push ups and then cool down with my stretching.

You need some sort of multiply er, ether do as many of an excErcise in say 5 mins, Or take your max reps, say 15 press ups, and do 15 x 5_ in as short at time as pissible, then 15 x7 etc, then 20x5 etal,

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi again!

Moving on,

If it works for you then great. Everyone's different my workout may not be right for you and yours may not be right for me everyone's different just do what your body can do

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi again!

Moving on,

I have some suggestions/feedback, all good, but I'm off to work. I'll be back. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are training two days a week. I wouldn't start worrying about overkill just yet.

It depends how much you want to achieve vs how much grind you are willing to put up with to get there.

People will constantly advise you to be mediocre. But you don't have to be if you don't want to

OP
Superperson

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you are training two days a week. I wouldn't start worrying about overkill just yet.

It depends how much you want to achieve vs how much grind you are willing to put up with to get there.

People will constantly advise you to be mediocre. But you don't have to be if you don't want to

I'm going to my class and training with my teacher two times a week but I'm working out and training at home 4 days outside of that with one day of rest.
My times are...
Mon - rest
Tues - MA class
Wed - Workout/training at home
Thur - MA class
Fri - Workout/training at home
Sat - Workout/training at home
Sun - Workout/training at home
With each training taking around 40 -45 minutes.

That is why given I'm a newbie at all of this I wanted to ask if I'm doing a good amount given my lack of physical fitness knowledge. As a note I'm a 5'6 female weighing 145 ish pounds. I'm not fit but not terrible out of shape. Hoping my workout is a good start for me! After I definitely feel the workout.

OP
Superperson

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You need some sort of multiply er, ether do as many of an excErcise in say 5 mins, Or take your max reps, say 15 press ups, and do 15 x 5_ in as short at time as pissible, then 15 x7 etc, then 20x5 etal,

I will defiantly work toward that! I think my arms would fall off if I tried that now haha.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can train both technique and strength at the same time, you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. The "belt cracking" is one of such training that can give you both benefits.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to my class and training with my teacher two times a week but I'm working out and training at home 4 days outside of that with one day of rest.
My times are...
Mon - rest
Tues - MA class
Wed - Workout/training at home
Thur - MA class
Fri - Workout/training at home
Sat - Workout/training at home
Sun - Workout/training at home
With each training taking around 40 -45 minutes.

That is why given I'm a newbie at all of this I wanted to ask if I'm doing a good amount given my lack of physical fitness knowledge. As a note I'm a 5'6 female weighing 145 ish pounds. I'm not fit but not terrible out of shape. Hoping my workout is a good start for me! After I definitely feel the workout.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Otherwise have you considered training some sort of acrobatics?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree! To have a clear goal is important.

Do you want be able to use your

- side kick to knock down everybody on this planet?
- hook punch to knock down everybody on this planet?
- hip throw to take down everybody on this planet?
- single leg to take down everybody on this planet?

You should set up your goal, design a path, and go for it.

OP
Superperson

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Agree! To have a clear goal is important.

Do you want be able to use your

- side kick to knock down everybody on this planet?
- hook punch to knock down everybody on this planet?
- hip throw to take down everybody on this planet?
- single leg to take down everybody on this planet?

You should set up your goal, design a path, and go for it.

Hmm good question, at this time I would say my goal is to get my body into shape and build some muscle in my arms and legs. Otherwise I have been working on my kicks to try and get my legs to hurt less when i do them (Tendon running the back tends to get sore) and to help with my stamina and kicking posture and form.

OP
Superperson

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Otherwise have you considered training some sort of acrobatics?
See post above as to what I'm trying to accomplish.
But,,hmm never considered acrobatics that would be interesting.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only thing that you're doing now that I'd say to change straight away is:

During my exercising I first start by stretching

Don't stretch cold...

Move around a bit, do some twisting, start gentle - but full stretches should be part of your cool down, not your warm-up.

OP
Superperson

Superperson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The only thing that you're doing now that I'd say to change straight away is:

Don't stretch cold...

Move around a bit, do some twisting, start gentle - but full stretches should be part of your cool down, not your warm-up.

Oh I never knew that! Ok thank you for that advice. I always thought it was good to stretch before and after a workout but I guess I was slightly wrong on that haha.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh I never knew that! Ok thank you for that advice. I always thought it was good to stretch before and after a workout but I guess I was slightly wrong on that haha.
Depends on the type of stretching, but I’ll get to that in a bit. Regardless of what type of stretching you’re doing, you should be sweating before you stretch. Sweating means your body is warm.

In most cases, the best way to stretch before getting into your actual workout is dynamic stretching - think hip swings, sumo squats, etc. There’s tons of stuff online. After your actual workout is done, it’s best to do static stretching. Think holding a position for 20 seconds or so.

If there’s one strength exercise I’m going to do, it’s Turkish Getups. They strengthen everything, are highly functional, and they help with mobility. You don’t need a lot of weight, but you do need some to get a good workout. Kettlebells are best for it. I bought an adjustable kettlebell at Dick’s Sporting Goods, and it’s perfect for me.

Kettlebell:
Fitness Gear Adjustable Kettlebell | DICK'S Sporting Goods
$50 isn’t cheap, but it isn’t outrageous either. Do getups with it a few times and you’ll know it was easily worth the money.

Turkish Getups:

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmm good question, at this time I would say my goal is to get my body into shape and build some muscle in my arms and legs. Otherwise I have been working on my kicks to try and get my legs to hurt less when i do them (Tendon running the back tends to get sore) and to help with my stamina and kicking posture and form.

Agreed with the others. Warm up 1st then stretch.
Take the time to do a good stretch routine. Stretching should not hurt so don’t push too hard to pain. Ease into and methodically progress over time.
If your tendons are sore then you need to start strengthening them though simple bodyweight exercises.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't stretch cold...
I used to stretch in the hot bath tub. It works for me great. Today, I like to stretch after my 3 miles running. I find door frame stretching works pretty good too. You put one foot on one side of the door frame. Lean your back against the other side of the door frame. Use both hands to pull the door frame until your groin area also touch the door frame. Your standing leg, stretching leg both all touch on the door frame as a straight line.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions