How do you judge a ninja school

undeadcheese

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
Please pardon my lack of experience in this field, but a lady friend of mine wants me to go with her to visit a school that claims to teach either ninjitsu or ninjutsu. I do not know which one is taught there, but my friend is very interested in attending and wants my opinion. Unfortunately I know almost nothing upon which to judge the style(s?) and the training that is offered there. Could you offer any advice as to what is a compotent school/teacher/class and what is a potentially bad school/teacher/class?
Any information would help.
Thank you.

True Austinite

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, first, in budo taijutsu we don't usually call our dojo "ninja schools" lol. But as for what makes a good instructor, it's subjective. Firstly though, you want to make sure he is qualified and a member of the bujinkan shidoshi-kai (instructor's guild), and therefore is an ACTUAL instructor and not a fraud. As for what makes a good class, it depends on what you want out of the class - self defense? serious martial arts training? a fun hobby? If you want self-defense, then for example, you'd want a teacher that touches on the reality of violence frequently, perhaps bringing up discussions on awareness, crime, etc. in class regularly. If you're like me and into the "budo path," you'll want someone who is very into training hard while still paying attention to the finer aspects of the martial art. If you're looking for a fun hobby, neither of that is important, you want an instructor who just knows his stuff and is good about communicating it, and probably not too strict.

In the Bujinkan, instructors come in all types. So if enough live around you, you're bound to find one that suits you.

So in summary - make sure they're qualified first and foremost, and then consider what you or your friend want to study the art for.

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
Please pardon my lack of experience in this field, but a lady friend of mine wants me to go with her to visit a school that claims to teach either ninjitsu or ninjutsu. I do not know which one is taught there, but my friend is very interested in attending and wants my opinion. Unfortunately I know almost nothing upon which to judge the style(s?) and the training that is offered there. Could you offer any advice as to what is a compotent school/teacher/class and what is a potentially bad school/teacher/class?
Any information would help.
Thank you.

Does the Dojo have a name or web contact details?

OP
U

undeadcheese

White Belt
Reaction score
We haven't attended a class yet so I have no idea as to the contact details, or even where it is located, with the exception that its somewhere near the down town area of my city.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
... somewhere near the down town area of my city.

Which would be? That may help narrow down who is ligit there. With the number of Ninjutsu practitioners who frequent the forum, if we knew where you were located somebody may have an excellent suggestion from personal knowledge.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We haven't attended a class yet so I have no idea as to the contact details, or even where it is located, with the exception that its somewhere near the down town area of my city.
Not sure where you live but there was an Ed Parker's kenpo in Denver that advertizes Ninja training. Its not Nijitsu but there is no law against anyone using the term; so, you never know what you are going to get.
Sean

OP
U

undeadcheese

White Belt
Reaction score
About all I know is that the school is located near downtown san jose.

OP
U

undeadcheese

White Belt
Reaction score
I know its kinda vague but thats about all I know about that school.

Latest Discussions