How can I increase my stamina

ozm8ey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While sparing in karate class, after about 30 seconds I'm completely exhausted. I even quit smoking about a year ago because it used to make me throw up and cough my guts up for hours, but still have a difficult time sparing. So my question is how do I increase my stamina? I smoked for about 5 years so maybe damage already done?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
20 minutes of HIIT daily for 3 months. Measure and mark your progress.

Because sparring tends to be in rounds with recovery breaks.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You have to do cardio vascular exercises and drilling. You can do a martial art's version of "shadow boxing" where you punch and kick using the techniques in your systems and you do it at medium speed for 30 seconds to a 1 minute. You don't want to stand in one place when you do this. You could move in one large circle or you can move from one end to the room and back to the other end. At my school we'll punch and kick moving from one end of the room to the other end. We continue this until we have done a minute of continuous punching or kicking. You can then increase or decrease the intensity as you see fit. For starters you should first go at a slightly uncomfortable pace and do the drills for 30 seconds. As you get better you can either go faster at 30 seconds or increase the time. The goal is to keep the same pace and when you are gassed out, you have to still try to keep the pace even thought realistically you won't have the energy to do so. Also take a 30 second break between your rounds.

I usually do 6 one minute rounds with 10 -15 seconds of rest.. When I first started I did six 30 second rounds with 20 seconds of rest. Just make sure you bring a lot of water and pay attention to your body so you don't pass out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Find a hill.

Run up it.

Repeat.
That stamina is different from what's required for punching, kicking, and grabbing. You'll get the cardio endurance but your arms and legs won't get the muscle stamina. Unless you punch and kick. I only say this because I ran Track sprints and Cross Country Running "5K through woods" competitively and I thought, I would have enough stamina to deal with sparring. I had the cardio vascular endurance but my arms and legs would get tired from punching and kicking.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That stamina is different from what's required for punching, kicking, and grabbing. You'll get the cardio endurance but your arms and legs won't get the muscle stamina. Unless you punch and kick. I only say this because I ran Track sprints and Cross Country Running "5K through woods" competitively and I thought, I would have enough stamina to deal with sparring. I had the cardio vascular endurance but my arms and legs would get tired from punching and kicking.

Fine. Find a hill. Bear crawl up the thing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah that will do it lol Judging from that video 1 was enough lol.

That would have sucked.

We sprawl up. Lunge down.jump backwards up. All sorts of fun stuff.

Alternatively those battle ropes mentioned in the other thread gets the heavy arms going.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...and off to the ignore list we go. People trying to help you, son. Grow up.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
An easy one. work harder in training you spar. Dont sit out sparring rounds. Finish your pad work rounds exhausted. Thst kind of thing.

Human Makiwara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sparring Drills: where you stay in and the partner changes out. 1min/2min Spar, 20second rest, fresh partner, another round. 5 rounds or until you can't go anymore.

Footwork drills: set up cones in a cross, start in the center of the cross, move forward, back, left and right without stopping. Feet always moving. you can add in a bag holder at the top/forward cone position so when you arrive there they can have a strike shield, thai pads or focus kits for you to hit and then keep moving. 10 sets, no stops, changing stance and work different strikes.

Bag Drills: throw everything you have at the hanging heavy bag or 1-3min. rest and repeat.

Run: Find a good path, hill, treadmill or elliptical and do work.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I smoked for about 5 years so maybe damage already done?

Smokefree | What happens when you quit?

After 2-12 weeks
Your circulation improves.

After 3-9 months
Coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve as lung function increases by up to 10%.

After 1 year
Risk of heart disease is about half compared with a person who is still smoking.

After 10 years
Risk of lung cancer falls to half that of a smoker.

After 15 years
Risk of heart attack falls to the same as someone who has never smoked.

CDR_Glock

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While sparing in karate class, after about 30 seconds I'm completely exhausted. I even quit smoking about a year ago because it used to make me throw up and cough my guts up for hours, but still have a difficult time sparing. So my question is how do I increase my stamina? I smoked for about 5 years so maybe damage already done?

Your body will adapt and the effects of smoking will dissipate over time.

Work on doing basic cardio with intervals (bike, run, mountain bike, whatever). High intensity followed by a lower intensity break, then repeat. You can look up HIIT, which is difficult, at first, but you will gain stamina.

You didn't mention your weight. If you're a bit heavy, shedding 5-10 pounds will also be a great start.

I had recently lost 30 pounds, and it felt a lot different sparring. I had developed stamina through intense cardio, while practicing sparring with full gear against one or two of my many punching/kicking bags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk