Hours to 1st Dan

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
are you serious? i would have figured you got your BB back in the 70,s from W.Chow personally or something like that.
but if your serious,,,cool beans dude. :) congratulations.

I made first dan in American Karate on September first, nineteen seventy four. I was all atwitter.
Since then, you know how it goes...

BoxOBelts.JPG

They become like snakes on a plane.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does it take significantly longer or is it much more difficult to become a black belt in BJJ? Or maybe I'm getting a vibe that it's more of a rarity? Very curious about this..
Yes to all questions. In addition to Tony Dismukes’s post, BJJ is probably the best guarded and policed black belt in the major styles of MA. Many other styles and organizations in MA view a 1st dan as someone who’s proficient in the basics of the art. In BJJ, usually the person has learned and applied pretty much the whole syllabus. They’re still learning, refining, and evolving the art, but dan rank promotions are based on advancing the art and students’ learning, not like where in karate for example a 3rd dan is awarded after completing the 2nd dan syllabus where applicable.

I may be a little off. I’m not a BJJ guy. Just my outside looking in view.

pel1188

White Belt
Reaction score
In my art it’s about 5 years, but most people take longer. That is coming in and going to the highest level class you can attend and then also all level classes 2-3 times per week. Some have done it in 3.5 years

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I started training BJJ, black belt seemed so far away that I didn’t think about it. Even on the day I was awarded my black belt, I wasn’t expecting it and thought I had another couple of years to go.

Heck, Tony, I think we were more exited than you were!

Tell you what, though, if I could do the whole teaching thing again, the whole running dojos thing again - I'd model the belt system after BJJ. To me, it makes the most sense. And not just for the sake of the art, but for the sake of every student.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes to all questions. In addition to Tony Dismukes’s post, BJJ is probably the best guarded and policed black belt in the major styles of MA. Many other styles and organizations in MA view a 1st dan as someone who’s proficient in the basics of the art. In BJJ, usually the person has learned and applied pretty much the whole syllabus. They’re still learning, refining, and evolving the art, but dan rank promotions are based on advancing the art and students’ learning, not like where in karate for example a 3rd dan is awarded after completing the 2nd dan syllabus where applicable.

Agreed. The NGAA BB is intended to be that, but I think BJJ did a better job of it. I'd go so far as to say the BJJ BB pretty much is what the general public tends to think a BB is, as a rank.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Yeah, it's a difference between western culture and eastern. In Aikikai Aikido, it takes years to earn your Black Belt, but all it means as a first dan is that you have mastered the fundamentals. It's shorter to BB in Japan..like only 3 years or so. The main reason being teaching. In Japan, at least in Aikido, shodans don't teach...neither do nidans. You MIGHT find a sandan teaching a childrens class....maybe. All adult Aikido classes are taught by Yondan and up. Often Godan, Rokudan, etc. The USAF lengthened the training hours to reach BB here in the states, because many Shodan are often teaching. This creates a discrepancy between Japanese trained and US trained yudansha in Aikido. Japanese aikidoka will often say "OHHH, you're an American BB". Basically, a Shodan in the US is probably close to a Sandan in Japan...A Shodan in Japan, is probably close to a Nikkyu in the States. Point is, Aikikai Aikido is pretty protective of their BB ranks as well. Maybe not to the extent of BJJ, but not like some arts either.

Latest Discussions