Hook Swords

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge, information, experience or good web sites containing technique, applications, use, history, what to look for so far as quality goes, I would greatly appreciate it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of the hook swords I have seen are of the low quality Modern Wushu variety. They are made of a very light steel sheeting that is not appropriate for a real weapon. They work well enough for Wushu forms, but don't confuse them for a real weapon. You could probably find them on most martial arts supplier websites.

I am unfortunately unable to point you in the direction for some combat quality hook swords.

As far as technique goes, I would suggest finding a good instructor. This is something that is best learned from someone who knows how to use it. A video or written material will not convey this information very well, and can't tell you when your technique needs improvement.

Also, Chinese weaponry is found within the context of a complete martial art. You may need to have training in the basics of the martial art before you are ready to learn the weaponry. If you haven't already done this, this would be the place to start. It is not something to pick up out of context, and think you can just begin to use it.

OP
kachi

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanx for the input Flying Crane. I might point out that I will be using this for Freestyle Karate. I actually found an instructor nearby that teaches hookswords but i'm yet to get into contact with him. I just thought I'd ask around the boards to find out a bit more before I make a commitment. If anyone else has some info please share.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Freestyle Karate"???? WTH??:xtrmshock

Like Flying Crane said... the hooks aren't a weapon that's common within CMA styles, let alone something "you just pick up". If you want to learn the hooks, go learn the CMA attached to them. Anybody can swing them around like mad, scream for 5 minutes straight & presume to have an idea about them or impress people who aren't familiar with them.

Go learn the CMA attached to them. You'll find more than you're looking for & will probably be happy with it.

OP
kachi

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
"Freestyle Karate"???? WTH??:xtrmshock
What's so surprising about Freestyle Karate?

I' don't won't to learn them to impress anyone I just wanted to learn the kata and self defence aspects of it. But you guys are saying that it can't be used without knowing the CMA associated with it.
If i'm taught by a proper instructor that knows everything that there is to know about the hookswords, does that mean I won't be proficient enough to use them in my martial arts?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
This isn't really part of this discussion, but I thought I'd post pics of some very cool looking hookswords. I picked up these images of the net years ago, but I don't know where.

Attachments

• $Chinesehooksword.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 168
  • $Chinesehooksword2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 162

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blindside said:
This isn't really part of this discussion, but I thought I'd post pics of some very cool looking hookswords. I picked up these images of the net years ago, but I don't know where.

These look like they might actually be real. Very nice to see them. Thank you.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
kachi said:

I' don't won't to learn them to impress anyone I just wanted to learn the kata and self defence aspects of it. But you guys are saying that it can't be used without knowing the CMA associated with it.
If i'm taught by a proper instructor that knows everything that there is to know about the hookswords, does that mean I won't be proficient enough to use them in my martial arts?

Well, your base is going to be different, but if the instructor is good he should be able to help you make the transition. Just understand that it is going to be different from what you have done before and you might need to work extra hard to capture the essence. Just don't end up doing the hook swords with a "karate" flavor, or you've got it wrong. The Chinese arts are more fluid and the weaponry works in the same manner.

OP
kachi

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thankyou Flying Crane for your support, I will work very hard to capture the essentia of the Chinese art.
I understand how different something like Kung Fu is to Karate and the transition might be difficult at start but I believe with practise I can achieve my goals.
Also just one more question, Should a quality hook sword have a flexible hook?
If anyone else has infomation or an opinion to add please feel free.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kachi said:

Well actually nothing I guess when I think about what I've seen done to karate nowadays. My bad... knee jerk reaction. I always practiced JMA as that... JMA. Not blended or mixed & matched...

kachi said:

Yeah that's what I'm saying. It'd be like teaching you to drive a car by handing you the keys & patting you on the back saying have a good trip. CMA weaponry is very detailed & specific. It has its own energies & usages that are based on what CMA empty hand does. There are certain characteristics for weapons that without a base, you will not get.

kachi said:

Yep... because the weapon & MA won't match. You can patchwork stuff together, but it looks like it in the end... patchwork stuff. For proper CMA weapon training, you need (i.e. essential to have) proper CMA basic training in hands & body.

Would you want a doctor working on you that graduated medical school, properly trained & then certified by governing bodies & accediting associations?? Or would you rather have the mail order guy who can barely read let alone comprehend what's going on?? Your call, but I know which office door I'm knocking on.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, on the other hand, there has been a lot of borrowing from one system to the other for generations. The Okinawan arts have a lot of influence from Fukien White Crane, for example. Maybe we shouldn't be too quick to denounce this. That was also my initial reaction, but then I thought about it a bit. If the instructor really knows what he is doing, maybe he can pass it on in a way that does the weapon justice. He may need to teach more Chinese MA background to get this to work, but I just can't say it's impossible, or shouldn't be done.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Well, on the other hand, there has been a lot of borrowing from one system to the other for generations. The Okinawan arts have a lot of influence from Fukien White Crane, for example. Maybe we shouldn't be too quick to denounce this. That was also my initial reaction, but then I thought about it a bit. If the instructor really knows what he is doing, maybe he can pass it on in a way that does the weapon justice. He may need to teach more Chinese MA background to get this to work, but I just can't say it's impossible, or shouldn't be done.

Sure there has & that's not in question.

What I'm questioning/calling BS on this insistance of learning an advanced weapon from a refined CMA with NO basics. I'm sorry but "Freestyle Karate" means 0 when it comes to CMA basics. Sure, it'll be a help, but it ain't the same.

What the Okinawans got in large part from Fukienese MA were solid basics with some of the more refined pieces, but they didn't jump right to the end.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Sure there has & that's not in question.

What I'm questioning/calling BS on this insistance of learning an advanced weapon from a refined CMA with NO basics. I'm sorry but "Freestyle Karate" means 0 when it comes to CMA basics. Sure, it'll be a help, but it ain't the same.

What the Okinawans got in large part from Fukienese MA were solid basics with some of the more refined pieces, but they didn't jump right to the end.

Yeah, you are right. But Kachi's profile does list some kung fu training. If that is extensive enough and similar enough to what the Hook Swords teacher has to offer, maybe that can help him along. On the other hand, Kachi just might find himself training more heavily in the Chinese martial arts, if he really wants to do the hook swords well.
icon10.gif

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Yeah, you are right. But Kachi's profile does list some kung fu training. If that is extensive enough and similar enough to what the Hook Swords teacher has to offer, maybe that can help him along.

Maybe... but I'm not holding my breath on it. It's a pretty advanced weapon & without the basics in the base bladed weapons, let alone double weapons... it won't be good.

Flying Crane said:
On the other hand, Kachi just might find himself training more heavily in the Chinese martial arts, if he really wants to do the hook swords well.
icon10.gif

Yeah I suggested the same thing kinda... It'd be IMHO a much more fullfilling journey than skipping about.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kachi: Please tell us about your Chinese Martial Arts experience, and the background of the instructor who will be teaching you the hook swords. CLFSEAN does have some valid concerns. Really, you would be better off if you get a solid grounding in the Chinese arts before you learn the hook swords. If you have that already, great. If this instructor can give that to you, great. If you don't have that, and the instructor cannot give you that, then there is a good chance your development in the hook swords will stay at a low level. At any rate, if you really want to learn the hook swords, go for it, but do everything you can to develop the proper background to make it strong.

OP
kachi

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I've done 6 months training in Chang Quan and I did pick up on a fair bit of the basics. If it's necessary I'd start training in Kung Fu again until I have enough experience. Here is a little bio of the instructor Grandmaster Leong :
Grandmaster Leong is fully qualified from Mainland China and has had a variety of Wing Chun and other martial arts teachers.
He has trained in Eagle Claw, Tae Kwon Do and many other Wushu forms and styles.
His Adelaide Headquarters teaches broadsword, longsword, staff, kwan do, 9 section whip, spear,hook swords, Wing Chun butterfly swords and a variety of empty hand forms such as Southern Fist, Long Fist and Tai Chi forms.
He is also the winner of many full contact titles in Asia and the Pacific. He is also a qualified acupuncturist and teacher of Chinese herbal medicine.
Do you think that 6 months is proficient enough to get the basics or should I start again? I did enjoy it alot but i'm just not sure if I have the time to commit to another full time Martial Art.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
kachi said:
Ok, I've done 6 months training in Chang Quan and I did pick up on a fair bit of the basics. If it's necessary I'd start training in Kung Fu again until I have enough experience. Here is a little bio of the instructor Grandmaster Leong :
Do you think that 6 months is proficient enough to get the basics or should I start again? I did enjoy it alot but i'm just not sure if I have the time to commit to another full time Martial Art.

Well, I am not in a position to judge if the six months you had is sufficient, but if Mr. Leong is as good as his bio suggests, then I suspect you may have a talented instructor to work with. Take your time, don't be in a hurry, and learn everything he is willing to teach you, even if it doesn't seem directly related to the hook swords. You might find more there that interests you then you first suspect, and your hook swords will benefit from it. Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes.

I first began training Tai Chi as a side practice when I was training Capoeira. Then I started learning Tibetan White Crane and elements of other arts from my Tai Chi sifu. Eventually, I drifted away from Capoeira and now focus predominantly on the Chinese martial arts. You never know where these things will take you.
icon12.gif