Homeland Security?

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No, wait, this is Indonesia...or is it?
http://www.alertnet.org/printable.htm?URL=/thenews/newsdesk/JAK32365.htm

Parliament is reviewing the draft, which follows complaints by the agency, known as BIN, that anti-terrorism laws introduced after the 2002 Bali bombings were too weak to allow security organs to catch suspects before they carry out attacks.
Human Rights Watch said in a report that the draft allowed BIN to move into law enforcement by being able to detain certain people for up to 30 days without judicial oversight or filing any criminal charges.
Besides BIN, police have complained that anti-terrorism laws do not give them enough power or political cover to detain suspects while avoiding criticism from Muslim organisations and local rights groups...
Indonesian officials have said anti-terrorism laws drawn up in the wake of those blasts would also be strengthened, partly to give police more power to arrest suspects.
But some police officers and supreme court judges have voiced concerns about BIN being getting the right to make arrests. BIN insists it needs more powers to prevent bombings.
The BIN draft empowers intelligence officials to arrest, detain, interrogate, search or restrict the movement of any person "strongly suspected" of being directly or indirectly involved in activities that are a "threat to the nation", Human Rights Watch said.

But what constituted a threat was not properly defined, which could lead to abuse, it said.
Allowing intelligence agents to detain people for 30 days without any judicial supervision or access to lawyers or family members...
Indonesia? Really? Sounds awfully familiar to me... Like something that's going on right here at home... Wish I could put my finger on it... Homeland Security, maybe?:rolleyes:

Latest Discussions