Home made training dummy

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am planning to build a strikeing dummy. The only plans I have seen are for the ultra man from the IKCA. I would like to build a dummy with arms that can take a beating. I will have a back yard so I am thinking of mounting it in the ground. I stink at this tylpe of stuff so if any body has a suggestion I would like to hear it.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
The plans for building your own dummy put out by the IKCA is a good design. I would recommend using the metal frame. It'll last longer and take more abuse. Then again $300.00 for a professonally made one is a bargain.

There is a product on the market that is a set of Wing Chun dummy arms that you can strap onto a heavy bag. You can also strap it to the Ultraman, some folks have had good sucess with this.

My recommendation would be to mount your dummy on a 4x4 sheet of 3/4" plywood. If you permanently mount it somewhere, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts you'll want to move it. Mounting it on the plywood would also help to create just enough "give" for follow-through. It has to be able to move a bit.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

OP
Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. But only one response! This is the biggest MA forum I have seen and no one else has any ideas! No love.

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've built a few by now, out of PVC. PVC will break sooner or later, so fixing it til its unfixable and building a new one is what I've been doing. The one I'm using now has lasted that longest. The thing about the new IKCA plan PVC dummy is that it has metal flanges going into Iron pipe which is screwed onto the plywood. You stick the PVC legs onto the iron pipes. Eventually you will make a good dummy that will take a punch and so of course you will knock the flanges loose. I have the legs come down, attach to 3ways and then have pipes going back, which then attach to each other with elbows or 3ways. Moves kind of like a rocking chair. Old IKCA was mounted on metal straps to plywood, which I've never tried. Metal dummy would be great, maybe someday, or I'd love to buy the ultraman. As far as sinking into the ground, that sounds great, but I would make it more like a mook jong as it sounds like that is more what you want anyway IKCA type dummy gives you targeting, esp. groin, legs, face, but no arms to simulate blocking or trapping. I've always wanted a metal dummy with a spring arm to practice trapping on. Hope this helps. building a dummy is worth it. One more thing, if you're building one for outside use only, look at using tires, I've done this and it's fun to practice escrima sticks and other weapons on.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
although an old thread, thought i'd revive it.

i posted some pictures of my 2nd dummy in the photo gallery, check them out. built it a year ago and beat the hell out of every other night...and still standing. and the dummy's ok too. ;)

G

Gary Crawford

Hi All! I was about to argue that you can still get an attach-mate,but I checked the site I bought mine from only a few weeks ago and Tigerstrike.com doesn't show them anymore. I really like mine,I have it attached to my wavemaster. The nylon strapes it came with wern't strong enough to attach it tight enough for me,so I resorted to good ol black duct tape. I've geen beating on this thing for a couple weeks and it has been great.

J

jbclinic

i've taken a pair of jeans and sweatshirt and filled it with other clothes, its heavy, and made a stand so it upright, i use it not for power,just technique,hey it works for me

N

No Dummy

Yeah, hi.
Adam here, I am starting my own business making dummies in Sydney.
Cant send photos so cant show my simple design. Email my dads web site at www.crosland.com.au and I will reply with photos and designs...

Latest Discussions