Hogu Question!

Eric7_27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get involved in olympic style sparring. I currently do point sparring. I plan on finishing the year and going to State- but after that I want to get a USAT membership and start training.

Anyways- my question is buying a Hogu. If I go to this one class they require you have all gear- well I don't want to have to ask for a hogu to borrow 'specially if they might not have one- so I'd like to buy my own before I go- but how exactly do I know what size to get? I mean- online sizing charts are always off for me. I wear a size 4 Gi and size 3 pants, my gear is even more mix-matched I'm about 5'7 150 lbs. Any help would REALLY be appreciated!

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Size 4, large. Get the Adidas that wraps all the way around to your spine, after all, the back is a target.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Normally you go with your uniform size, however it may still depend. I am about 5'9 and weigh 125 and wear a size 4 uniform. However I have always prefered a size 2 hogu because it covers me but allows me to move easier.
You BEST bet is to ask to try on other people's gear so you can see exactly what size you like the best. If you are buying from your martial art school (which you should do if they offer it) they should be willing to help you figure out what size to get. (If you want just my opinion based off what you said I would tell you to get a 3.)

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
If Eric wants to do Olympic sparring in a USAT tournament and is 5'7" and weighs 150 lbs a size 3 ho goo will not properly cover his back. It might feel more comfortable because of the smaller size but if there is more than 2" of open space in the back it probably won't pass the inspection table.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If Eric wants to do Olympic sparring in a USAT tournament and is 5'7" and weighs 150 lbs a size 3 ho goo will not properly cover his back. It might feel more comfortable because of the smaller size but if there is more than 2" of open space in the back it probably won't pass the inspection table.

I have a player 5'7" and 158 lbs. and wears a size three and it comes right to the spine on both sides and he moves a lot easier with it. Of course he needs to go to a MA store and try some on to make sure what really fits him and he likes. This is always the best bet for anything in the equipment catagory.
Peace to all.

OP
E

Eric7_27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain... but where would I find a store?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain... but where would I find a store?

In Arlington Texas on Abrams off of 360 is Lang son Traders Tell the lady Ms Waa that terry from Twin Dragon sent you over to try on Hogu's. She is great about everything. If you need anything pm me OK.

OP
E

Eric7_27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
awesome! thanks Terry- you've been really helpful with everything :) thanks again :)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
awesome! thanks Terry- you've been really helpful with everything :) thanks again :)

You are welcome anytime you are around my neck of the woods come and train with us. We always love to have guess people around.