History Channel: Little Ice Age - Big Chill

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
History Channel: Little Ice Age - Big Chill

I have mentioned this show before, and just saw that it is on again today at 12:00 Noon EST on the History Channel.

I thought it was a good show the couple of times I have seen it so far.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In this show it talks about the little Ice Age and how we are coming out of it now.

While watching the History channel again this morning, Mega Disasters - Mount Rainier, they mentioned the worse eruption for death was Tambora in 1815. This got me thinking about the year without a summer in 1816 they mentioned in the Big Chill Little Ice Age. No sooner had I thought this then the post up that this lowered the global temperatures and also killed 90,000 people do to disease and crops failing.

Some links on Tambora:

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Glossary/VolcWeather/description_volcanoes_and_weather.html

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Indonesia/description_tambora_1815_eruption.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Tambora

So putting my system hat on, I see some evidence of why the average temperatures were lower before, and the rise in the temperatures now. Yet, in another history channel show (* Sorry forgot the name :( *) there was mention of the "golden age" in the hundreds when the average temperature was higher by about four degrees and people could grow lots of crops and food. Population grew and until the dark ages when the temperatures started to fall and food was scarcer.

Now add in the South Atlantic rising in temperature, I have said this before, could it be magma release into the oceans that is causing a rise in the temperture as well. (* yes I can see the green house effect gases, but I am seeing in history, drastric changes ( 4 degree or more ) in temperature without the production of the same gases by man, so I am asking if this could also be part of the equation as well? *)

This could be a results of the current shift in the magnetic poles which is caused by the core moving in the earth, if I remember properly. I have seen one prediction as soon as 2012 being the time frame of a magnetic pole shift. Some theorize that it requries another object to come close to the earth while others think it just requries movemetn in our core and the magnetic flux. Here is a link that shows the current changes from 1600 time frame: http://www.tgo.uit.no/articl/roadto.html (* See attached *)

The Renaisance period was a time frame of growth of culture as the temperatures rose and food became easier to grow. In the late 1700's & early 1800's there was the little chill.

I remember back in the late 1980's that both poles were suposed to be melted by now and that all coastal cities should be underwater from the water being added to the system. Yet I have stated before that solid water dispaces more water then it does in liquid form. They had not looked at the complete system only a small part of it. While I understand the more variables one adds to the equation the harder it is to model and come up with an equation to describe the system, I am curious what others have thought or done.

So given some of the brain power on this site, I was just curious if others have seen a similiar picture?

Attachments

• $magnorpe.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 94

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have seen the show also years before the show existed I had to write a term paper on the subject for an Advanced Climatology course in college. It is rather amazing the things that were effected and the things that contributed to it as well as its effect on humans.

Latest Discussions