Hip Pain (Possible torn labral)

D4V3

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys! Forum noob here!

I've been back at taekwondo for 3 months after not dong any martial arts for 10 years, im now 23.

I dont experience any pain when I execute front kicks or axe kicks, but when i throw a kick that requires me to turn out my right foot such as a left foot side kick or full turning kick, I get a sharp achy pain in the side of my right thigh at the top where it joins the hip. It also sometimes does a little click at the top of the thigh.

I believe that its happening due to the restricted movement my joints have at the moment, and the pain is coming from me forcing the foot round and opening the hips.
I'm about to start using the supplement "cissus" to relieve the pain and hopefully aid in repair.

All im hoping for is someone who has maybe experienced the same symptoms and has dealt with this.

Thanks!

Dave

francium

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi- and welcome from a fellow white belt!

The first thing I'd have to suggest is an sports medicine doctor and/or physical therapist... you might be working with a real injury. That said, make sure you have the flexibility to do the kicks slowly, or hold the positions static, before you try to do anything in motion. If you lack the flexibility, stretch gently, but if it really hurts to hit that position at any reasonable height, you should probably see that doctor.

OP
D

D4V3

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi- and welcome from a fellow white belt!

The first thing I'd have to suggest is an sports medicine doctor and/or physical therapist... you might be working with a real injury. That said, make sure you have the flexibility to do the kicks slowly, or hold the positions static, before you try to do anything in motion. If you lack the flexibility, stretch gently, but if it really hurts to hit that position at any reasonable height, you should probably see that doctor.

Thanks for the reply!
I think im going to give it a month or so of stretching and anti-inflammatory medication, if that doesn't help at all ill go for the doctor :(
Really hate anything to disrupt progress! Probably the same with everyone haha.
I do struggle to perform the side kick above my waist height slowly which tells me its probably through lack of flexibility that this problem has occurred, im just wondering if i can loosen up these areas in my hips and thighs maybe the problem will dissipate as the mobility of the joints gets greater.

Only time will tell i suppose :)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
1) Get your master to watch what you're doing to fix mechanics.
2) If the problem doesn't go away, see your doctor and then a physical therapist.
3) 23 isn't 13. You're much more powerful and just starting back, so take it easy. Trying too hard before your technique is tuned and your body used to kicking again is a recipe for injury. I'm 50, so I'll tell you that you can learn patience the easy way or the painful way...up to you.
4) You didn't mention history, but can you rule out prior injuries and other issues with your body? Even at 23, you're out of warranty.

Good luck.

OP
D

D4V3

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
1) Get your master to watch what you're doing to fix mechanics.
2) If the problem doesn't go away, see your doctor and then a physical therapist.
3) 23 isn't 13. You're much more powerful and just starting back, so take it easy. Trying too hard before your technique is tuned and your body used to kicking again is a recipe for injury. I'm 50, so I'll tell you that you can learn patience the easy way or the painful way...up to you.
4) You didn't mention history, but can you rule out prior injuries and other issues with your body? Even at 23, you're out of warranty.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply!
Your right about trying to hard before good technique, I have already been advised in class to exercise good form slowly before trying to develop power in the kick as when i started i was just trying to kick hard. I believe this is the stage i initially hurt myself.
Yeah I have no previous injuries in the hips or legs this is a fresh problem im afraid.

I will talk to my Sabum Nim about monitoring my form closely.
Thanks for taking the time to give advice!

Latest Discussions