Hey everyone! newbie in need of help...

PsyEythan

White Belt
Reaction score
Ummm... hello everyone.
I'm new to muay thai and by now I had only one training in a muay thai gym.
I loved it but the gym has little gear and is not so competitive so I now gonna try another gym(which is VERY competitive). The kru(muay thai teacher?) there said that he don't have any biginners team and in two weeks he will probably have one. I waited even three and he said that he still has no beginners and his team is medium+(lets assume medium comes after begginers) and I have to wait or try to catch up to their level.
The problem is I'm a little worried that even if I'll want to try and catch up he would'nt want to have me train with them. I'm underweight(173cm, 47kg), and I'm worried that It will cuase me problems. Should I really be worried? Should I try to catch up with them?

B.T.W I'm taking care of that problem, two weeks ago I was 45kg and now I'm getting help with that so by the end of this month I'll an extra 6kg :).

anyway, thanks for any answers!

MetalStorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I really dont know much to say for the catching up part, I am sure other more experienced people will have info to give you on here.

For the waiting part I dont know if its common at a lot of gyms but I had to wait a few weeks to be able to get into mine as well, it wasnt that they didnt want certain people to join or anything like that, there were just so many people going to the gym at the time they more or less didnt have room for all of the people.

savior

Green Belt
Reaction score
i am 135 lbs and fight with 200+ lbs guys.. you can keep up as long as you are mentally tough enough

OP
P

PsyEythan

White Belt
Reaction score
uumm... ok thanks for the help.
I went to the gym and decided to stay and try and catch up!

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello. Does anyone know of any Muay Thai gyms in northern Arizona? I live in Flagstaff now and am interested in training.

Thanks!

Distinction

White Belt
Reaction score
Why don't you try the first gym, and get comfortable with your technique. Instead of just rushing into things. Either way, best of luck.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anytime a person joins a gym there is going to be beginners and advanced students. I don't really agree with the waiting for enough students for a beginners class. So many will quit after just a few lessons. One gym I trained at always started the beginners out with one-on-one instruction and then put in the intermediate and advanced classes afterwards. Personally, I think you should join and give it your all. Nothing helps you learn more than being a guinea pig for the instructor or advanced student while they are teaching a new technique to the class.

Latest Discussions