Ashamed of top two news stories for 10/18/05 11:00 PM News

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There were two top news stories for the local news last night:

The FBI released there stats for crime and my local city was number 2.

This is sad as Flint was number one in the mid to late 80's and I thought people had come a long way. Yet story number two makes me wonder.

A Nine (9) year old was arrested for armed robbery of a convience store.
The Nine year old stole some candy, his mother found out and took the candy back and apologized to the store owner. The child went back with a toy gun and told the store owner to give him the candy back that he stole. The police showed up and arrested the child. Details of his capture were not reported. Police or store owner could have handled it not sure. The mother gave aninterview and stated she understood the store owner and thanked the store owner and police that they had not shot her son. She also said he needed to learn a lesson and was glad he was alive to learn it.

Here is the really big thing. Most violent crimes are not reported on the news. What is reported, are crimes with automatic weapons, car chases (* very rare and less often then automatice weapons *), and children stories. So unless it is out there it is not reported. I guess I was just not paying attention and thinking all was well. :(

Thoughts?

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
""She was so glad they didnt shoot her son!!!!!!!!!!!"" What can you say to that other then the fact, what is this world coming to!!!!!! I dont really have an opinion other than the fact Im gobsmacked that that even happened!!!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm flabbergasted. Though we've known for a long time that the news is all about shock talk ....... I gotta echo what Raewyn quoted: She's so glad they didn't shoot her son. What does this say about the state of our society and the state of preparedness of our law enforcement agencies?

Up here a man was severely burned in a car wreck on a country road, had removed his clothing and was running naked looking for help. The police shot and killed him.

Yeah, I suppose if I run towards and officer yelling for help I should be thankful that I don't get shot - if I don't get shot.

Sorry, all you LEOs on the board, but ... wow. Please comment.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not to sound odd, but a 9 year old can pull a trigger can he not? I mean the po-po get a call for a armed robbery, they are prepared for a armed person that may turn the gun on them, right? Is their first duty not to go home alive at the end of a shift

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hmm... I wonder if robbery with a toy gun counts as "armed" robbery. ???

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Not to sound odd, but a 9 year old can pull a trigger can he not?
I'm sure some dimwitted politican will try to spin this as a child "trained" by video games...

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
hmm... I wonder if robbery with a toy gun counts as "armed" robbery. ???
How "toyish" did the gun look? Seen in a quick backlight look, would you assume a toy or real gun?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
How "toyish" did the gun look? Seen in a quick backlight look, would you assume a toy or real gun?
In a "quick backlight look" I'd rather assume real - but in a lit store? I'm a bit skeptical, sorry.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess I look at it in a different light-Nobody should attempt armed robbery! Does it matter that we are talking a selfish, self centered child. In a high stress gun call situation, the police respond withthe idea that the encounter could be deadly!

Anytime you brandish a gun in public you are a target

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The story had no information on if the store owner or the police detained the child. No pictures or descriptions of the toy gun were given. Did it have the red tip or was it removed or painted, or what have you?

As to armed robbery, a friend/associate of mine had a lighter that looked like a small gun, and pulled it out of his pocket while trying to get at his check for deposit. He just asked for a deposit and the teller did so, and then let him leave. But she pressed for help after he left, and told everyone he had a gun and she was afraid. The police picked him up and he spent a weekend in jail and lots of money with the court system over the misunderstanding.

Not sure if this is a special case for banks or would also apply here, as I thought a finger in a pocket constitutes armed robbery for the person being robbed believes it is a weapon.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am impressed that the mom is thanking the police and store owner. Most parents these days would say this kid was joking and should be let off the hook. It is terrible that the kid did this, but I am glad he should hopefully learn something about how wrong it is and it'll get reinforced by the mom.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
There were two top news stories for the local news last night:

The FBI released there stats for crime and my local city was number 2.

This is sad as Flint was number one in the mid to late 80's and I thought people had come a long way. Yet story number two makes me wonder.

A Nine (9) year old was arrested for armed robbery of a convience store.
The Nine year old stole some candy, his mother found out and took the candy back and apologized to the store owner. The child went back with a toy gun and told the store owner to give him the candy back that he stole. The police showed up and arrested the child. Details of his capture were not reported. Police or store owner could have handled it not sure. The mother gave aninterview and stated she understood the store owner and thanked the store owner and police that they had not shot her son. She also said he needed to learn a lesson and was glad he was alive to learn it.

Here is the really big thing. Most violent crimes are not reported on the news. What is reported, are crimes with automatic weapons, car chases (* very rare and less often then automatice weapons *), and children stories. So unless it is out there it is not reported. I guess I was just not paying attention and thinking all was well. :(

Thoughts?
how about this for shameful?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4359128.stm

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the PARENTS have a real problem. Where does a kid get these ideas? And I'm not buying the "violence on TV" and "video games" excuse. My son is a major video gamer, and it NEVER would have occurred to him to do anything as outrageous in real life.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
I think the PARENTS have a real problem. Where does a kid get these ideas? And I'm not buying the "violence on TV" and "video games" excuse. My son is a major video gamer, and it NEVER would have occurred to him to do anything as outrageous in real life.

I might be wrong, but I think there is only one Parent, and there was no mention of a father at all.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I'm flabbergasted. Though we've known for a long time that the news is all about shock talk ....... I gotta echo what Raewyn quoted: She's so glad they didn't shoot her son. What does this say about the state of our society and the state of preparedness of our law enforcement agencies?

Up here a man was severely burned in a car wreck on a country road, had removed his clothing and was running naked looking for help. The police shot and killed him.

Yeah, I suppose if I run towards and officer yelling for help I should be thankful that I don't get shot - if I don't get shot.

Sorry, all you LEOs on the board, but ... wow. Please comment.

Do you have a news story or any other info? Its hard to comment on...."Yeah, I suppose if I run towards and officer yelling for help I should be thankful that I don't get shot - if I don't get shot.".....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_101805_news_fatal_shooting_.10978656d.html

If this is it... based on the information given I would say it was an unjustified use of deadly force. However I dont know how a bad decision or action of 2 officers in Washington state is a condemnation for an officer in NY, or the profession as a whole. Its only an issue of "police preparedness" if they were operating within their policy and training. If they were outside policy then it was the individual officers "unpreparedness" not his professions. If they were in the wrong then I hope they face the appropriate consequences. I am interested in hearing their justification for the shooting.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Do you have a news story or any other info? Its hard to comment on...."Yeah, I suppose if I run towards and officer yelling for help I should be thankful that I don't get shot - if I don't get shot.".....
Thanks for doing research, Tgace, but I was asking for comment on the news story Rich posted. I can see where I was confusing, though.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh..in that case, theres no reason to question police actions at all as Rich said its unknown what happened or if it was even the police who grabbed this kid or the store owner.....

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I think there is only one Parent, and there was no mention of a father at all.
Well, I guess I don't think that should make a difference. Maybe that's because I'm a single parent.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
It's amazing what they can do with cloning these days.

The child-and-gun story has cautionary benefit--maybe broadcasting it wasn't such a bad idea?

Latest Discussions