Helping the newbie

mystic warrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I thought I would ask for some advice from all of you that have had some training under your belt.
I will becoming to the bujinkan in march to start training.
I was wondering if there was any words of wisdom that could be past on to me.
I know just train.
But other than that is there any thing else that you want to impart to a newbie.
So that he may not make the same mistakes, also to make the road I am taking a little less bumpy.
Thanks for the help guys.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
heh, this is always fun. I think you will find most people will tell you all the same thing. Keep your head remember your new and in if you keep with it you will figure it out.

I'll add my own how ever,

1) Ask questions for the love of all that is good ASK QUESTIONS.
2) Study outside of the dojo. When you ask a good question you earn respect. When you leave the dojo come back and ask an even BETTER question you earn honor.
3) You will encounter something that you will think is impossible. It will be impossible until you relize it isn't.
4) Don't stop :)
5) Don't stop :)
6) There is no rule six (sorry couldn't resist)

In the end have fun train hard and focus on yourself. People have stated that in particular the bujinkan rank system is very interpersonal so focus on yourself. Decide personal goals make them achievable.

Things like, I Want to be able to execute that form at the drop of a hat. Are better than, "I want to be able to catch a sword mid strike." The latter will come but only when the former is learned.

Ok so those are things I had to learn (not in Ninjustu just in MA in genearal).

--Infy.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since you are registered here, take the time to read though all the threads in this forum. Make a point of reading all the ones that seem timely- skipping ones about past seminars. Only then try to form an opinion or ask a question.

Then, when you have exausted all that, ask any question that comes into your mind. Do not expect much in the way of answers in regards to physical stuff- that just not translate well to the written word. But you have this resource, best to use it as well as you can.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But other than that is there any thing else that you want to impart to a newbie.
So that he may not make the same mistakes, also to make the road I am taking a little less bumpy.
What do you think your mistakes were before?

OP
M

mystic warrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
It was more of learning from others mistakes more than any thing else.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since you are registered here, take the time to read though all the threads in this forum. Make a point of reading all the ones that seem timely- skipping ones about past seminars. Only then try to form an opinion or ask a question.

Then, when you have exausted all that, ask any question that comes into your mind. Do not expect much in the way of answers in regards to physical stuff- that just not translate well to the written word. But you have this resource, best to use it as well as you can.

Yep...

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you remember enough of a kata to practice it outside of class (solo / shadow-boxing type stuff), try to remember it as best you can to duplicate what you did in class; use your imagination to really visualize an attacker / uke.

Practice it like that a few times and then ask yourself some what-if questions. Do the form so many times that it doesn't even seem like you're doing the same thing (physically), but it feels the same . . .

That's for after you start training. For prep - look into some yoga / meditation / relaxation exercises. Training can be painful and frustrating at times; you'll need something to bring yourself back to a calm, centered state.

Latest Discussions