Help

JamesYazell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about Xing Yong Chi Lu Chuan 8 Animal Kung Fu? I've looked but havn't really found anything.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Never heard of it, however I found this.

Xing Yong Chi Lu Chuan (Chi Lu Chuan/8 animal Kung Fu) China - About AD 520 two monks from the San Song Shaolin Temple expanded the system into 170 movements.

And I have a question now; Where is 8 in "Xing Yong Chi Lu Chuan"? Is this Cantonese? In Mandarin 8 is "ba"

But back to your question; Apparently there is a school in Kansas City, but I know nothing about the school.

They say the following.

http://www.kctaichi.com/kungfu.htm

Xing Yong Chi Lu Chuan 8 Animal Kung Fu is descended from the styles taught by the Shaolin monks of China. Kung Fu, which means "achievement through effort," was originally a form of exercise much like yoga. It was developed by a monk named Damo, or Bodhidharma, in order to condition the body, mind and spirit in preparation for enlightenment. Damo's original creation, the eighteen Lo Han movements, was a response to the poor physical condition in which he found the monks. Years later, around AD 520, two monks from the San Song Shaolin Temple expanded the system into 170 movements. In developing these movements, the monks were inspired by their fellow creatures: the Tiger, Dragon, Leopard, Crane, and Snake. Chi Lu Chuan utilizes all five of these animal forms, as well as three developed later, which are the Monkey, Praying Mantis, and Eagle.

This type of martial art does not require much physical strength. By utilizing the movements of the animals, the student will learn self-control and survival. It can be as practical for women and children as it is for men - size makes no difference. This program works to build self-esteem, self-confidence, coordination, and memory retention. The most important skill taught is how to escape from danger without feeling the need to defend your ego. We also highly emphasize safety and control, and do not teach weapon techniques until the student is ready to safely learn them.

OP
J

JamesYazell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thats actually why I was asking, because I found that school near me but all they say about the art is a generic martial arts history lesson...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This may be a previous discussion about the same school

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18653&highlight=Xing+Yong+Chi

If it is I am always very careful when it comes to a CMA school that claims so many styles and gives black belts in CMA. I am not saying that would mean it is a bad school, just that it would require I do a lot of checking.

As you already are. One of the best ways is to watch a class and or take a class.

A lot of CMA styles have animal forms in them, Xingyi has 12 animals, San Da has 12 animals, then there are CMA animal forms such as Crane, Tiger, Eagle, Dragon, etc.

This may be a good style, I have just never heard of it.

Hopefully someone else in the forum can shed more light on this for you.

Sorry I could not be of more help to you.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I looked at the website and was not terribly impressed. I would visit and watch a class and ask many questions.

7sm

OP
J

JamesYazell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know much about CMA, what kind of things do I ask to check the authenticity?

M

moonflipper

There are sooooo many different styles...uhhh
Ill never look through

Latest Discussions