Help with relaxation as opposed to effort?

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
I need some help being more relaxed while executing my techniques rather than so tense. I suppose tense is not the right word, but I've noticed I put a lot of effort into my strikes to make them powerful, yet I know that one can generate loads of power with a more relaxed punch for example, as long as the mechanics are correct. I know more relaxation comes with age, but why wait when I can work on it now?

Any tips on training myself to do this naturally rather than having to think about it?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Train! It takes a while, but usually what is keeping guy tense is nervousness about what they're doing. You have to train enough so what you're doing is no big deal. I still find myself tensing up. What helps for me is take a big deep breath through my nose and out through my mouth, imagining I am blowing out the trouble causing me to tense up. I know it is kinda korny, but it helps and that's wat is important.

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
Train! It takes a while, but usually what is keeping guy tense is nervousness about what they're doing. You have to train enough so what you're doing is no big deal. I still find myself tensing up. What helps for me is take a big deep breath through my nose and out through my mouth, imagining I am blowing out the trouble causing me to tense up. I know it is kinda korny, but it helps and that's wat is important.

But i can't take deep breaths while striking! I mostly tense up with striking, rather than just letting it flow. Although yes I have been working on deeper breathing alot lately.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok you should try blowing out or better yet kai ( SP cant spell or think well today folks. no sleep.) as you execute the technique, and practice and practice, loosen your fist at first and tighten it at the end of the punch ... that helps to a lot for me.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think your muscles are to tense before the strike is delivered. If you want to generate power from a relaxed state you need to move the body as one unit.
In order to maximize the whole body moving as one unit you need good mechanics,proper torque and relaxation.

I try to loosen up the body before I practice, my teacher tells me to try to feel the subtle mechanics and rotation and how you can feel through proper structure the generation of force. This perpective is from a Chinese internal martial artist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You don't punch with your arm. You punch with your entire body. Same with grappling.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes but the idea is to be loose loose and at the very end tighten every thing very tight and hard.. so yes the whole body is involved at some level.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Try this: Begin each movement completely relaxed, and start very very slowly, maintaining that relaxation. Across the path of the movement, maintain a constant acceleration of the striking surface, until the end of its path, where it reaches its maximum speed. Somehow thinking about maintaining constant acceleration, rather than imparting all the momentum into a relaxed limb at the start of the motion through 'throwing' it, helps me relax and deliver more power at the point of contact.

Don't worry if the strikes take longer than usual at first - this is something that beds in over time, and you can be back up to normal pace in a week.

Latest Discussions