help get karate into the olympics!!

• Thread starter gyaku-zuki queen
  • Start date
OP
G

gyaku-zuki queen

Andrew Green said:
If point fighting and kata in the olympics...? why?

I say go for pankration :D
..i dont get it. :idunno:
can you explain that in other words?

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score

JPH

White Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the problem with getting Karate into the Olympics has always been that there was no central organizational control. Back in the late 60s and early 70s Master Nishiyama tried to gain control of the Olympic Karate movement but ended up alienating many who would, or should have been possible participants. As a result of the fueding between different styles, the AOC stopped trying to get Karate accepted as an Olympic sport. Tae Kwon Do, on the other hand, presented a more united front and surprised the other MA organizations when they were granted Olympic status.

Some day, perhaps, Karate may acceptance. When, and at what price is unclear.

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
in the IOC meeting before the last olympic games, karate (as represented by the WKF organization -known as WUKO many years ago. It is their system that is being under concideration) was the top candidate to be included in the olympic program -it is already accepted as a olymic status sport. It received by far the most votes for introduction. However IOC decided that they want to reduce the number of sports on the olympic program, to reduce cost for the arrangers. So no new sports was allowed on the program to replace the sports that was removed.

So now we have to wait until they decide its time to include more sports again, I guess.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is a nice thought. And I hope that you are right. But, If it does not will karate be effected negatively. I don't think so.

Martin h said:
in the IOC meeting before the last olympic games, karate (as represented by the WKF organization -known as WUKO many years ago. It is their system that is being under concideration) was the top candidate to be included in the olympic program -it is already accepted as a olymic status sport. It received by far the most votes for introduction. However IOC decided that they want to reduce the number of sports on the olympic program, to reduce cost for the arrangers. So no new sports was allowed on the program to replace the sports that was removed.

So now we have to wait until they decide its time to include more sports again, I guess.

karateka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i dont think karate should enter the olympics, there is no discreet valuation to karate and further more i will quote what my sensei said to me many many years ago:

karate is not a sport, it is a way of life.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say that I probably agree with that. As for what your sensei said. Yes, it is a way of life. The Japanese originally made it into a sport to popularize it. Now in many cases it is barely recognizable from its original form and purpose. I do enjoy the sport aspects,but I do not let it interfere with true karatedo.

karateka said:
i dont think karate should enter the olympics, there is no discreet valuation to karate and further more i will quote what my sensei said to me many many years ago:

karate is not a sport, it is a way of life.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even though I have been in karate for over 15 years, I really don't see a need to put it into the Olympics. Right now, the Olympics has tkd, judo, boxing, archery, and fencing. Do we really need another martial based sport in the Olympics. Tack that on with the fact that wushu is now a demo-sport, and I think our interests are pretty well covered.

AoG

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Seeing how the olympic games are just that, games, why would you want karate which is a way of life and a combative art to be reduced to a mere game?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looking at TKD, I really don't see the need to have Karate in the Olympics. I understand the only thing that gets a lot of participation is the sparring. Personally, I don't think that would be a good portrayal of Karate. Also, it might just serve to increase the "sportiness" of the art overall.

Just my opinion,

JeffJ

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to present a slightly different point of view:

I am actually strongly in favor of seeing competitive Karate in the Olympics, provided that we use the somewhat universally accepted rules that the WKF / USANKF uses for traditional competition, and have the three major categories (Kumite, Kata, Kobudo).

The way I see it, if a major organization such as the Pan-Am Games has a Karate event, then the Olympics can certainly do this as well.

I would request that everyone stick to traditional-style competition. None of these kata with constant 360 degree jumps and spins while holding escrima sticks with built-in bright red LED's, etc.

If people can see Karate done in this manner, then it can certainly help the traditional arts. It may be just a personal pet peeve, and I am certainly biased, but I really don't like it when people start doing XMA that ESPN2 covers.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haze said:
Seeing how the olympic games are just that, games, why would you want karate which is a way of life and a combative art to be reduced to a mere game?

I am going to step on some toes with this one, but karate is just a sport. It is not a way of life.

Your religion (whatever that may be) is your way of life. Karate is not a religion. It is a sport that many teach as a religion, but it is still just a set of movements. Karate, as most sports do, enforce good habits and maneurisms, but only enforce what you should have learned from your religion and even to a large extent from your upbringing.

I always read Dave Lowry's karate column in Black Belt Magazine and think about this. He (and many like him) teach it as a "way of life" but fail to realize what they are saying by making that claim. I listen to these people go on about how they are better people because of the martial arts, but never hear them talk about who they believe created life and how greatful they are to that god. They thank karate, but never god. Look at the people who say football and baseball are a way of life (and there are many who do). They are making the same claim.

It will always fall to the question: who/what should get the credit for the improvements on one's character? Karate or your God?

AoG

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Karate originally was not intended to be a sport. It is a method of self protection. It has been turned into a sport . The sport aspect was added by the Japanese to further assimilate it into the Budo culture. And it has worked in making it popular and recognized world wide. And it was easy to make it popular through sport in the US , America being a sport oriented culture. Karatedo is a way of life. In the sense that it is a life long study. Physical and mental development. Religion is a separate thing all together. Some people believe that if they get into the Asian religions (Buddism or Shintoism), that it will make them better martial artist. Doesn't really matter what religion that you practice. That is up to you and is a personal thing.

ArmorOfGod said:
I am going to step on some toes with this one, but karate is just a sport. It is not a way of life.

Your religion (whatever that may be) is your way of life. Karate is not a religion. It is a sport that many teach as a religion, but it is still just a set of movements. Karate, as most sports do, enforce good habits and maneurisms, but only enforce what you should have learned from your religion and even to a large extent from your upbringing.

I always read Dave Lowry's karate column in Black Belt Magazine and think about this. He (and many like him) teach it as a "way of life" but fail to realize what they are saying by making that claim. I listen to these people go on about how they are better people because of the martial arts, but never hear them talk about who they believe created life and how greatful they are to that god. They thank karate, but never god. Look at the people who say football and baseball are a way of life (and there are many who do). They are making the same claim.

It will always fall to the question: who/what should get the credit for the improvements on one's character? Karate or your God?

AoG

Jama

White Belt
Reaction score

AoG

Actually, i think religion should never be used to state any opinion. Religion is religion, sports are sports. And maybe because I don't believe in religion, I am a more open person. Like the bible says (please forgive my unfaithfull statement), the universe came from life. And so does the most current scientific studies, with Bing Bang.

So, like everyone who likes karate, the making it into a sport, was a way to broadcast the martial art itself, so we all know what karate is.

Now, maybe karate didn't make the universe nor did it started anything, but LIKE ANY OTHER RELIGION, it is OUR CHOICE to LIVE LIFE in this earth HOW WE WANT IT.

Karate allowed me to see my gift and allowed me to use it, because that's the truth. I am good on karate and do work hard for a life living with karate in my heart.

My dream is to win an olympic gold medal. In karate. And that's why i work hard everyday, with pain assaulting every one of my moves, to that ultimate goal.

I hope karate makes it to the Olympic. And it may not be religion or a way of life, it's our heart telling us karate is a way to reach religion, by living the karate way of life.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been involved with the Olympic movement for karate in one way or another since the early 80's. We have been turned down so many times. But, now we are closer than ever before. I just don't see it happening, they already have taekwondo and Judo. For a while a lot of people thought Wushu would get in, it closer to gymnastics than martial arts. But, it has the martial arts background. Only time will tell. I am too old now to compete at that level even if it gets into he olympics. I would have to be a referee or get into the coaching program.

louscannon

White Belt
Reaction score
I come to you with empty hands...

Karate like any martial art is combative art. It has also evolved to a sport. The way of life statement is so valid and I have to agree with the post that religion should not be used as an argument to take away from whatever benefits one gains from Karate. Whether you believe in God or not, goodness comes from Karate when you put the work in and that credit goes to the practitioner. I have seen what Karate has done for insecure people and confident people. It nourishes the mind, body and soul.

It should be added to the Olympics so the most competitive of us can indulge. (Even if this is an agreed, compromised system that may deviate from one's style) If nothing else, elevating it to Olympic status would raise the profile and hopefully shake off the many misconceptions that many people have about martial artists being blood-thirsty, violent types.

Look at all the money that is pumped into football etc. The Olympics would be a great plus for those who choose this sport/art as a way of life. Those who do not want to compete can still go to the dojo and get their traditional training. Everyone's a winner!

I bet all of you who believe it shouldn't be in the Olympics would still tune in and watch it closely if it was!!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I come to you with empty hands...

Karate like any martial art is combative art. It has also evolved to a sport. The way of life statement is so valid and I have to agree with the post that religion should not be used as an argument to take away from whatever benefits one gains from Karate. Whether you believe in God or not, goodness comes from Karate when you put the work in and that credit goes to the practitioner. I have seen what Karate has done for insecure people and confident people. It nourishes the mind, body and soul.

It should be added to the Olympics so the most competitive of us can indulge. (Even if this is an agreed, compromised system that may deviate from one's style) If nothing else, elevating it to Olympic status would raise the profile and hopefully shake off the many misconceptions that many people have about martial artists being blood-thirsty, violent types.

Look at all the money that is pumped into football etc. The Olympics would be a great plus for those who choose this sport/art as a way of life. Those who do not want to compete can still go to the dojo and get their traditional training. Everyone's a winner!

I bet all of you who believe it shouldn't be in the Olympics would still tune in and watch it closely if it was!!!

You'd lose your bet I'm afraid, I wouldn't watch it. The alterations, dumbing down and changing of rules that would happen would simply make me weep in despair if I watched it.

Latest Discussions