Hello. Introduction + Some questions.

Glavas

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello :D

I've always been interested in in martial arts. Originally I wanted to box. My dad wouldn't let me because I was too young according to him.

Eventually, just before I turned 17 I managed to convince him. Soon after I found out that I had finally moved to the top of the queue at the dental hospital. I'm having my lower jaw moved slightly foreward. This required a widening bar in my top jaw.

This bar basically slowly broke the central bone in my top jaw to widen it. It works on the concept of breaking it a bit, then letting it heal, repeat.

Anyway a strike to the jaw could have severly damaged my whole inside of the mouth. So I didn't do boxing.

I've had that bar since removed and now I have braces to allow full healing of that bone and to stop my teeth from moving.

I first heard of muay thai on a show I saw called fight science. Then later I also saw the movie "Ong Bak" Although I think Tony Jaa uses Muay Boran (I think).

I think Muay thai is awesome. I've done a fair bit of reading and I've been lurking on these forums for a while. I love the concept of using knees and elbows.

To get to the point.

I'm overweight and want to lose some of it. I've been lifting weights for a while now. My dad knows proper lifting methods and what not so I don't injure myself. Weight lifting hasn't been very good for losing weight. I have to eat properly which doesn't really help losing the weight. Also as I understand muscle weighs more than fat too.

So I've decided i'm going to start a martial art. I've read up on a fair few and Muay Thai is still my favourite. Finding somewhere to do it in my hometown is pretty difficult although I may have a private trainer lined up through a friend.

I'm nearly 6'2 and weigh 93kg which is pretty heavy i suppose. I've been in fights before and I've won, but only by sheer force.

There are things that further complicate this for me. I'm quite shy which means until I've got enough knowledge about Muay thai I won't attend classes.

I also find it hard to hurt someone on purpose. This only really effects my striking and kicking because I find it hard to go for weak spots and to put full force behind that blow. I've been told by some mates doing martial arts that I can get over this though so i'm willing to try.
---------------------------------
What I wanted to know though;

If i'm overweight will I still be able to do it? I'm not that bad really and I'm quite flexible. I have pretty good balance.

Is there anything I should practise before starting?

What is the procedure in classes? How long do they normally go for?

Can I lift weights and do muay thai?

How often should I go to the classes?
------------------------------

Please do answer my questions. I'm really keen on getting into this. This is pretty lengthy and I'm sorry about that >.<

But yeah I'll check here every once in a while and I will probably have more questions aswell.

But till then, Ciao

..n..

White Belt
Reaction score
Glavas, find a MT school near you and go. If your interested enough to post here your interested enough to attend class. Forget your shyness. If you don’t go out of your comfort zone in life you’ll never do anything interesting. Any school is use to people of all different fitness levels walking through the door so don’t worry about it before you attend. MT will get you in shape at the same time as teaching you what you need to know as a beginner. To answer your questions:

If i'm overweight will I still be able to do it? I'm not that bad really and I'm quite flexible. I have pretty good balance.

YES.

NO. Maybe spelling practice? Just go.

Depends on the school. You’ll warm up punch, kick, knee, etc… About an hour.

YES.

Start with 2 time a week or whatever you want 1-7 will work.

Don’t respond to this thread until you’re done with your first day of training. GO!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I wanted to know though;

Don't let that bother you..I was overweight when I started

Nope..They will show you exercises..

1 and 1/2 to 2 hrs

Why not

A couple of day a wek to start...
------------------------------

Glavas, find a MT school near you and go. If your interested enough to post here your interested enough to attend class. Forget your shyness. If you don’t go out of your comfort zone in life you’ll never do anything interesting. Any school is use to people of all different fitness levels walking through the door so don’t worry about it before you attend. MT will get you in shape at the same time as teaching you what you need to know as a beginner. To answer your questions

Well said..

Kwai_Tua_Noi

White Belt
Reaction score
Work on your stamina by jogging regularly. Being overweight isnt a big deal but it will mean that your energy level and stamina is pretty low.

After a few weeks on attending classes you will notice a rise in your confidence, energy levels and all round start losing that shyness of yours.

I would actually recomend Muay Boran as that also teaches you meditation and other buddhist aspects of thinking and life, but it is rare to find a Muay Boran kru (proper one)

USP45CT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You sound like you should do fine, but you really are going to need to go find a school. A private trainer is a nice addition to a workout routine, but I wouldn't make it the only thing. Everyone has to start somewhere so there really isn't any reason to be embarrassed. You said you are overweight, which will probably suck in the beginning, but through proper diet and exercise that just kind of fixes itself naturally. To be fair you really aren't that overweight though 205 and 6'2 really doesnt make you that overweight.

Yes you can lift weights and do Muay Thai I do it 3 times a week with no problems.

As far as practice goes ya practice jumping rope trust me that is something that pretty much every MT gym does and it never hurts to get some practice in on that.

Umm as far as practice times go some gyms might do a cardio session seperately from technique classes(though the technique class typically will have some type of warm up). I'd say most sessions go for around an hour a piece.

I would personally attend classes 2-3 times a week while your body adapts then you can ramp it up according to your time schedule and how well your body heals from the beatings that you WILL endure.

Latest Discussions