Heisei Warriors

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post here and, after searching for similar topics, I've not seen any similar threads. So, I was wondering if anyone would like to discuss Hatsumi Sensei's wishes with regards to Bujinkan members becoming "true Heisei Warriors"? The way he's described it is as "Becoming peaceful, calm, ordinary or simple".

After reading through a lot of posts on several Ninjutsu discussion boards, it seems like, in my opinion, that would be a very nice direction for Ninjutsu to head in. For instance, with all the controversy surrounding ranking, what if ranking was abolished altogether? For the students who have grasped Hatsumi's teachings about letting go and being buyu who learn from each other, would such a thing even matter?

Perhaps abolisment of ranking would be a very ninja-like way of allowing things to return to a more natural state. After all, the greatest sign of a leader is that people naturally gravitate to them. With this in mind, perhaps nature would continue to guide those with good hearts to the good teachers and the art would continue as it always has. To me, it seems like this would allow ninpo to return to a more peaceful, calm, ordinary, and simple existence.

Ranking is something that seems to be on a lot of people's minds and hearts so I thought that would be a good way to begin a conversation. While I understand there are people who would strongly resist such an idea, from what I've seen, one of the most important aspects of ninpo study is the ability to let go of unnatural things, ideas, etc. for the sake of enduring and finding the opportunity for enlightenment in all things.

With that in mind, I hope to begin a positive discussion with regards to the concept and wish of those who study Hatsumi Sensei's Budo Taijutsu to become true Heisei Warriors. Thanks for reading this post and have a great day. :)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fu_Bag said:
Perhaps abolisment of ranking would be a very ninja-like way of allowing things to return to a more natural state. After all, the greatest sign of a leader is that people naturally gravitate to them. With this in mind, perhaps nature would continue to guide those with good hearts to the good teachers and the art would continue as it always has.

Or perhaps those that put the most effort into promoting themselves and seeking to build empires would gain more students than those that concentrate on just getting better.

Mind you, I am not disagreeing with you on the silliness of rank. You may note that no amount of searching on the internet will find a reference to what rank I hold. I think the concept beneath me and will not talk about it one way or another.

But I assume that I am not only more experienced in this art and the interactions between members than you, but the same can be said about life in general. It is said that a cynic is an optomist with experience. To think that anything like getting rid of rank could somehow rid us of the petty problems that plague mankind as a whole just does not strike me as realistic. Sorry to rain on your parade- but that is my experience with the subject of the human condition and the interaction between people. If you find it hard to take, start drinking more. Trust me, it helps.
:drinkbeer

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don,

I agree with what you said.

There those who for whatever reason are chasing the rank. Then there those who for some reason or other express their desire to change the rank rather than chase it, and then there are those who just really don't care what they do with it. :idunno:

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, with regards to the self-promoting empire builders, the troublemakers, the "true ninjas", etc., the more students they get, the better. Here's why: suppose the intention was to preserve the art for those with good hearts. Hasn't Hatsumi sensei stated that only those with good hearts may practice his budo? So what would everyone without good hearts do if they were drawn to some "flavor" of ninjutsu? I think it's best to keep them occupied somehow.....

Here's how I see it. It's like water and oil in a pure natural spring (Hatsumi sensei's budo). Over time, drops of oil started forming on the surface and built up to where, on the surface, it appears as if the spring has been spoiled for everyone. I think a lot of the problems around right now sprout from people's perception of the ratio of oil to water in the spring, whether or not the pure spring water is reachable and/or drinkable anymore, and just exactly who the authorized spring water dealers are.

This might be a little too close to home but......
The oil covering the pure spring water hides the true budo very well. It's also very flammable by nature. There may very well be a day when the troublemakers ignite the oil themselves and the true budo can be seen again.

With regards to your ideas about rank, I totally agree. You won't find my rank online either. I'm a Mu Kyu afterall so I have no rank! It's so nice to be free. :)

With regards to drinking more, I'll take a tall glass of pure spring water. Thanks! It does wonders for the disposition. :D

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And how do you define "good hearts"? (yuck, sugary sweet stuff like this makes me nauceous)

There are several whom are quite skilled, but also a bit too well aware of this fact. Keep training for a while and you'll see what I'm getting at.
While I still do think that training hard with the correct focus and intention will make you a better person, better doesn't necessarily mean "good enough".

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's how I see it. It's like water and oil in a pure natural spring (Hatsumi sensei's budo). Over time, drops of oil started forming on the surface and built up to where, on the surface, it appears as if the spring has been spoiled for everyone. I think a lot of the problems around right now sprout from people's perception of the ratio of oil to water in the spring, whether or not the pure spring water is reachable and/or drinkable anymore, and just exactly who the authorized spring water dealers are.
This might be a little too close to home but......
The oil covering the pure spring water hides the true budo very well. It's also very flammable by nature. There may very well be a day when the troublemakers ignite the oil themselves and the true budo can be seen again.
That was pretty good. where'd you steal it from? haha lol. j/k

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fu_Bag said:

And I happen to think that some people would not see true budo if it came up and french kissed them in the middle of Kabuki-cho. :erg: (I just know Kizaru is going to make a comment.)

What you say can kind of be summed up with something that I think Nagato said- we need bad instructors to draw the bad students to them and away from the good teachers.

But of course, I don't think that getting rid of rank can do anything. People will just come up with new ways of being their silly selves.

I am reminded of a recent piece I read by a devout Muslim who despised what countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia do by banning alchohol and anything else against Islam. As he put it, Allah put these things on the planet, so they must serve a purpose and can't be bad per se. He said that if the creator did not deprive us from getting these things on our own, what kind of conciet can man have to ban them in Allah's name.

He explained that devout Muslims have to sacrifice to show their devotion to Allah. Every year there is an entire month where they can't eat or drink while the sun is up. Food, even pork, is not evil. But they give these things up to show their devotion to Allah. As he put it, when groups like the Taliban prevent people from radio, alchohol, etc they deprive people of the chance to make a choice to show their devotion to Allah. They must have the chance to make the choice to avoid things in order to show that they choose to follow god. To make people stay away from these things is to take away the temptations that Allah put out there for a reason instead of removing it from the world.

So, maybe rank now kind of fills that role in the Bujinkan. There are people who follow it and make it their master. There are people who talk about their rank, and others who spend a lot of time complaining about it is worthless in the Bujinkan- sometimes they are the same people. "Rank in the Bujinkan is useless- but my rank actually meant something when I got it' is the message they seem to say.

But then there are those that just don't let it influence them one way or another. Have you seen what rank Dale Seago is or Luke Molitor? Both of them I know wear the ugly patch- but neither mention what rank they hold. By comparison, I know exactly what type of person I am dealing with when I see someone mention their rank or make it part of their on-line signature.

They made the choice to let rank be important to them. And like the Muslim I mentioned I know that they have made the wrong choice. But the temptation was put out there to test us and I would not take away that temptation to try to force people to make the right choices.

Intersting way to think about it, eh?

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello Nimravus and Shogun. Thanks for the replies.

With regards to those with good hearts, I'd say they might naturally be drawn to seek the path of Fudoshin. I think that, for those who don't actively pursue the "immovable heart" during their lifetimes, that they finally find it in their last simple, peaceful, ordinary, and calm moments nearest to their passing. I think I may have seen it in the eyes of some of my loved ones just before they passed on. I think it's when they returned to Zero - the point to where the path to 4th and 5th dimensions is clear and the 1st thru 3rd dimensions are left behind/let go of.

Don,

Thank you for your reply as well.

LOL @ Kabuki-Cho! You know, that sounds like the perfect opportunity for some Kyojitsu practice...
female: - <Ssssmmoooocccchhh!!> - "So, is THAT true budo?"
male: - "Uuhhmmm.... I'm not sure.... Please continue"
female: - <SSSMMMOOOOCCCHHHHH!!!> - "Sssssssoooo...... Is THAT true BUDO?"
male: - "Uuuhhhh.... Still unsure... Sorry..."
female: - ..."Hhhmmmm...."...<ZZZIIIIIPPPPPPPPPP>...... Well, you get the idea... ;)

Yeah, you're probably right about people finding ways to be their silly selves. Rank is probably the least of the evils used to draw attention. Hmm.. I'm getting this image of the zoo.... Have you ever seen the way Mandrill Baboons use their colorful rear ends to get attention? That would certainly make for some interesting training outfits. Also, I hear you have to be careful around those animals because they've been known to fling poo.

Thank you for sharing the story about the devout Muslim. Lots of layers there... Without free will, there couldn't be true balance. LOL @ the "but MY rank" comment!!! That's funny. Sad, but funny. If anything, I'd think that the current state of things would be an indication that letting go of an out-dated rank, and the accompanying baggage, may be the only way to progress.

Something interesting I've noticed is that Hatsumi sensei always seems to wear a very new-looking black belt. I have to wonder if that's because he doesn't care about rank and, instead, wears the belt as one would wear a tie. It seems like the Japanese Shihan also seem to wear new-looking black belts. I think that's a good example to follow. It seems very inline with the "Heisei Warrior" idea. Afterall, I don't think I'd go to a formal/black tie event wearing a tie that looks like King Kong got a hold of it so, to me, it makes a lot of sense.

With regards to Mr. Seago's and Mr. Molitor's ranks, it's rumored that Mr. Seago keeps his concealed beneath his kilt and that Mr. Molitor's is etched into his kissaki. Do I personally want for their ranks to be the last things I see? No. :D LOL @ "the ugly patch". Seeing as how I really have no idea who chose the color scheme and why, I think it's in my best interest not to possibly stick my foot in my mouth on that one. Although... I suppose one could say that it probably takes one who has achieved Fudoshin to wear one..... :)

Have a nice day/night all.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fu_Bag said:
With regards to those with good hearts, I'd say they might naturally be drawn to seek the path of Fudoshin. I think that, for those who don't actively pursue the "immovable heart" during their lifetimes, that they finally find it in their last simple, peaceful, ordinary, and calm moments nearest to their passing. I think I may have seen it in the eyes of some of my loved ones just before they passed on. I think it's when they returned to Zero - the point to where the path to 4th and 5th dimensions is clear and the 1st thru 3rd dimensions are left behind/let go of.
And you had been training for how long, again...?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
By comparison, I know exactly what type of person I am dealing with when I see someone mention their rank or make it part of their on-line signature. They made the choice to let rank be important to them.
Talking about the Bujinkan correct? some martial arts put more emphasis on rank, not really as a matter of importance, but as kind of a nickname of sorts. ie; John doe, 1st dan TKD. (hate to use TKD as an example)

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus,

I guess I should explain a little about how I ended up making that statement. During the times that members of my family were dying, I wasn't training in anything Budo related. What I walked away from the funerals with, though, was a lot of confusion about how much they'd changed the week or so before they died. None of them were afraid of what was about to happen to them.

Something I noticed consistantly was that there was a clarity that came from them being freed from trivial and unnatural things. They projected a feeling of calm, peace, and some kind of secret understanding that, possibly for most, is reserved for those about to leave the 1st thru 3rd dimensions permanently. So that's some of what I was lugging around before picking up Hatsumi sensei's "Secret Techniques" book. It was the info in the "Secret Techniques" book that brought me to making the "Zero" statement.

I don't train, I have no rank, and I'm not a member of any of the Ninjutsu organizations. If anything I post on here is correct, it's because either:

1. I appreciate that Hatsumi sensei is trying to transmit something amazing to anyone who is willing, and ready, to receive it.

2. I can read.

3. Something that Hatsumi sensei is trying to transmit relates to my personal life experiences in the right way, and at the right time, so as to improve my understanding a little.

The more I study what Hatsumi sensei has put out there for people, the more I believe that there's a good possibility that he's really just trying to remind people of their natural, simplistic, healthy, and peaceful state. This all ties in with the idea of being "Heisei Warriors". I have a feeling there are many layers beneath the surface of Hatsumi sensei's simple wish.

I suspect that within the layers of a natural consciousness possibly lie all of the simplest answers to the most advanced questions you could possibly ask. By the way, did I mention that the "Secret Techniques" book is a really, really good book? :)

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Funny. My grandmother, who passed away in 2003, spent the final six years of her life as a very bitter and confused person in a nursery home. Only reason she survived that long was because my dad and my granddad went and visited her pretty much daily and made sure she ate as much as they could make her. Initially, I went and visited her with them, but I soon got enough of her getting furious for any or no reason as well as her confusing me with her uncle, my dad with a male nurse, and my mom with my granddad's new wife 30 years younger than him.

But guess what? She's the reason I was able to go to Japan.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
And you had been training for how long, again...?
"Some men gain knowledge (for winning) through hard training, some men gain knowledge (for winning) through the gods and some men are born with knowledge (for winning). But in the end, when they meet, it's all just knowledge".

-Yagyu Munenori, "Heiho Kadensho"; written in Sept., 1632

Fu Bag said:
I don't train, I have no rank, and I'm not a member of any of the Ninjutsu organizations. If anything I post on here is correct, it's because either:

1. I appreciate that Hatsumi sensei is trying to transmit something amazing to anyone who is willing, and ready, to receive it.

2. I can read
"...when arriving in a house you frst go in through the gate. The gate is the sign that you have approached the house. Passing through this gate, you enter the house and meet the master....Do not look at the gate and think "This is the house." The house is within, reached only after passing through the gate.

Do not read written works and think, "This is the Way." Written works are like the gate to approach the Way. Thus, there are people who remain ignorant of the Way regardless of how much they have learned and how many Chinese characters they know...One cannot say that a man embodies the Way simply because he has studied and speaks well."

-Yagyu Munenori, "Heiho Kadensho"; written in Sept., 1632

Smooches.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny. My grandmother, who passed away in 2003, spent the final six years of her life as a very bitter and confused person in a nursery home.
Well I wouldnt say funny. plus not everyone I'm sure is gonna be like what Fu_bag mentioned. however, its very interesting.

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello Kizaru. Thank you for the reply and for the lesson. :) I agree that pure intellectualism breeds ignorance of a deadly kind. Balance in all things is important - balance within this particular "house", especially so. I believe "the Way" is much bigger than any book or person who's life is dedicated to "the Way". I say this with sincere and absolute respect and admiration for those who's life/lives are dedicated to preserving and transmitting "the Way".

I believe Hatsumi sensei has related that sometimes it's better to train alone to avoid picking up dialects. I believe he's also related that anywhere can be a dojo so long as a sincere heart resides there. I believe that a sincere heart can be opened in such a way so as to receive the lessons it needs to receive. To me, the heart is the best place to begin training.

When the heart is right, it can then pump healthy blood to the brain. When the brain is supplied with the healthy blood, it can then use the eyes to see. When the healthy blood supplies the body, and is steered by the healthy mind and eyes, natural movement can occur. This natural way of being can then be used as a guide for developing relationships with Heaven, Earth, and Man in such a way so as to become one with the Universe and that which guides all within it.

Now that I think about it, I guess I do train. I guess I just train alone. I've noticed many positive changes in my entire being since I've opened myself up to this path. I know that I haven't even reached the gate, yet alone gone through it. I also know that I'm not anywhere near ready to enter the house. I'm just trying to become natural enough to be able to endure and grow in what you guys do.

One of the things Hatsumi sensei explains in the "Secret Techniques" book is "Unusual Friends Okay". Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to become an unusual friend. :)

Nimravus,

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. It sounds like we both just paid tribute, and gave thanks, to those who left us something special.

Take care all. :D

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fu_Bag said:
I believe Hatsumi sensei has related that sometimes it's better to train alone to avoid picking up dialects.

Actually, I beleive the quote was it is better to train alone than with bad teachers.

I do not think that never training with a teacher- as seems to be the case with you- was not what he would want. You do need a teacher to go to on a weekly basis in the beggining in order to get anywhere in this art.

I must warn you, some of the people on this board are a bit blunt in their comments about what they think of people who train from videos, etc and not from a real teacher. I can tell you that the more you try to make excuses as to why you can't or won't train with a real teacher, the worse the debate will go.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But, if I am reading this correctly, Fu Bag is more interested in the philosopy of the art than the actual Budo itself...

I dont neccessarily think you need to train with an instructor for years and years to learn that. Perhaps you will have a better, faster, deeper understanding if you do...

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with that. But I kind of have a bad feeling about a person with no experience who is trying to tell people that have trained with Hatsumi how Hatsumi feels and what Hatsumi should do.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh, Don you hit it right on the head! Fu Bag you should find a local
Bujinkan Dojo and check it out! If time does not allow that or their
times are not convenient for you maybe you could set up some private
lessons with the Shidoshi or Shihan! Maybe he or she will be thrilled just
to teach you Bujinkan Philosophy if that is all you are looking for!

Brian R. VanCise

Latest Discussions