Height adjustment

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some techniques require little adjustment for the relative heights of the people involved - others may require more. Do you adjust techniques for the relative heights of yourself and/or your students? If so, how? If not, why not?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some techniques require little adjustment for the relative heights of the people involved - others may require more. Do you adjust techniques for the relative heights of yourself and/or your students? If so, how? If not, why not?

I notice for the most part, if you cann't throw a specific technique to a specific target due to height (or what ever other factor), it might be best to not use that technique to that target. It might be better to adjust the methodology used. Taller guys generally (generally) have the advantage in striking. Shorter guys generally (generally) have the advantage in grappling. same with size (and weight).
Just my oppion though.

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well put, "Semper Gumbey". :drinkbeer

In the beginning stages it is best to stay the course with reguards to set techniques. You will find many techniques for all situations, size/weight, etc. There is a reason that we dont stop at showing only one counter to a specific attack. Later on as skill sets become ingrained, we move to reaction drills, add tricks of the trade, and low and behold you will use a bit of this and a bit of that to get the job done. There is no cut and dry. Make your natural "Reflex" response as effective and efficient as posible. In training with various parters you will find ways and be taught methods of bringing em down to your size, etc. Learn the techniques and maintain tradition and your style, pass it on to the next generation but also add your flavor and what works for you (at the appropriate time/level) with respect to your roots and teacher(s).

%-}

Your question is like a Zen riddle... Just be true to the Tao.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

In dealing with joint locks and controls and body manipulation there are certain issues of leverage and center of mass control that size/height will make a difference.

I try to make sure that the student under stand the proper body mechanics for the technique as they learn it. Later as you put it into application is when you have to insert or adjust the intro to set the person up. i.e. making a strike to get a reaction to allow a movement to occur that might not be required for a person who his taller or stronger. The same could be said for getting under or through someones center. The smaller or shorter person may find it easier than a taller person.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well put, "Semper Gumbey". :drinkbeer

%-}

Is this in refernce to me then? Gotta ask. And I cann't delete the pirate (one of my best freinds will beat me up if I do)

By the way, Rich, what is that the theme to? Your new signature that is.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The techniques are taught to pass the knowledge from teacher to student.

Once the principles and concepts are learned the students makes adjustments for the technique to work. For me as I practice the same techniques over and over other principles and concepts comes to light.

When exercising a drill, going slowly first to create muscle memory, then speeding up and putting the student in a stress situation where the instinctive mind takes over.

For instance, if a technique calls for an inside block to parry a right straight punch as you side step diagonally to close the gap to strike the opponent's inside biceps muscles (knuckles or hammer-fist) then bounce off and back knuckle the nose, before you change this technique ask what is the purpose of the original technique.

To avoid the punch.
To learn that with the correct structure only a little strength is needed to parry.
Proper footwork will help avoid the punch.
The hit to the nerve on the inside biceps will numb and stun the arm (and possible to KO your opponent).
That the back knuckle strike to the nose is a counter attack to a vulnerable area.
To learn timing, distance, speed, and power. The list goes on.

I would change the target from the bicep nerve/back knuckle nose to bicep nerve/hammer-fist kidney (this is a different strike). Most of the principles and concepts that I wish to teach are intact. The follow ups after the initial main strike will open up new areas for attacks.

I see techniques to help create muscle memory for the instinctive mind to take over. The original moves are taught to keep the principles and concepts intact. Then add the adjustments to make them effective for the individual.

When you make the change ask how much of the original principles and concepts are still intact. Then ask will the adjustment make the technique effective. Now test the new method with different people in a live drill (not a willing dummy that just stands there). What may work on one may not work on another.

Hope this helps.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahhh... I thought the simper gumbey was a crack at me cause I intend on joining the Marines (theres a thread in the firing range were i mention that).
I figured you meant that as a compliment, just wanted to make sure it was me you were complimenting.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes. I am always moving in 3 dimensions. To me, I do it without giving it much thought. Moving along the vertical axis is often as important as moving along the horizontal axis. For me it is a feeling. It boils down to the feeling of the shape of the space and the attack and where I feel their balance is at and their 3rd points are at.

There are two rules that my movement follows:

Prior to contact it is down and over. (this offers more advantages of space and timing).

Post contact, over and down. (this breaks balance and crushes).

There are plenty of other things in there, but height adjustment is critical to our training and it needs to be done without analysis.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this in refernce to me then? Gotta ask. And I cann't delete the pirate (one of my best freinds will beat me up if I do)

By the way, Rich, what is that the theme to? Your new signature that is.

Firefly - The TV Series and also Serenity The Movie - Director Joss Whedan.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do I keep running into that show? Two of my freinds from high school use a quote form that show (and so does our JROTC instructor), the "do you know what the chain of command is?" line. One of my freinds is also making a game system based slightly around a character from the show. God, I gotta buy that DVD.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why do I keep running into that show? Two of my freinds from high school use a quote form that show (and so does our JROTC instructor), the "do you know what the chain of command is?" line. One of my freinds is also making a game system based slightly around a character from the show. God, I gotta buy that DVD.

Because, in spite of Fox's almost deliberate screwing with it, it was a fantastic series. The movie was OK -- but I think the changes made so that it could stand on its own were detrimental. The TV show had a lot of depth -- and a great sense of fun.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll take your word for that. Don't suppose you have the series on DVD and are willing to mail it to me so I can watch it? OK, OK, I'm kidding. But seriously, I got to buy that series.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm 5' 2" on a good day and found I have to make a lot of adjustments or modifications for my height, especially on applications that involve the head or neck.

I've also learned that the girth of an attacker is a factor too. Its a lot harder for me to reach the head of a big fellow than it is for me to reach the head of a skinny fellow of the same height.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm 5' 2" on a good day and found I have to make a lot of adjustments or modifications for my height, especially on applications that involve the head or neck.

I've also learned that the girth of an attacker is a factor too. Its a lot harder for me to reach the head of a big fellow than it is for me to reach the head of a skinny fellow of the same height.

Cann't go high, go low. Do a sweep or a throw since you have to get your center of gravity below your opponents anyways.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cann't go high, go low. Do a sweep or a throw since you have to get your center of gravity below your opponents anyways.

That works! And on some big fellows it works really well...there is some truth to the "bigger they are, harder they fall" concept. :) Other times its modifying the the strike or the target to bring it within range.

Something I'm trying very hard to remember is to not over-reach for a target. At my size, its a tough habit to break.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That works! And on some big fellows it works really well...there is some truth to the "bigger they are, harder they fall" concept. :) Other times its modifying the the strike or the target to bring it within range.

Something I'm trying very hard to remember is to not over-reach for a target. At my size, its a tough habit to break.
Of course, if you really want to confuse the hell out of someone who's got a serious height advantage on you... Leap 'em and attack from above!

(I typically ended up fighting guys with anywhere from several inches to a foot or more on me... And I did just that to a guy who basically towered over me... and anything smaller than the Empire State Building....)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score

If nothing else, you can always punch someone in the gonads!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course, if you really want to confuse the hell out of someone who's got a serious height advantage on you... Leap 'em and attack from above!

(I typically ended up fighting guys with anywhere from several inches to a foot or more on me... And I did just that to a guy who basically towered over me... and anything smaller than the Empire State Building....)

That works too!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Oh that is BRILLIANT! I need to remember that one. :D

Latest Discussions