head movement

oddball

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been doing muay thai for a little while now, and one of the parts that I find to be the least natural is head movement. I'm specifically getting hit most when I jab and someone counters. Does anyone have some tips for moving around the head without losing power?

savior

Green Belt
Reaction score
rather than moving your head from side to side (x-axis), try moving up and down (y-axis).. duck down and throw some low body shots, cover up a bit better.

also when the counter you, go with their punch (I.E - Opponents right hook makes contact, move your head with the punch to the left) then respond with your own right hook. Since your body is already twisted from their punch, you are sort of using their energy/punch to set up for a counter-counter (your own punch)

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I take Saviour's point regarding moving off to the side etc by evasive moves and ducking/weaving out of strikes and countering at the same time with inside straights or crosses - this is something that is great to train with a partner - is a lot of fun and builds up great skiull and reflexes for fights!!

However, do still work on the head itself - not just ducking up and down using the knees/waist - but practice moving/weaving the actual head side to side when you train on the bag and of course when you use the focus pads and sparing. The advantage of head movement - to a degree that you don't look like a crazed fool! - is that it does make it harder to lock on to and strike and often helps you go/move with a strike that impacts so that the impact is much reduced - thus the need for not getting into predictable patterns to avoid being set up.

Watch boxing footage/fights and if possible spend some time training with boxers (just don't use your legs and take out their knees or you won't be popular!!!); I was lucky in that my club had access to some great competition boxers and training with them was excelent for hand work and punch evasion - and sobering on having to go the kind of rounds that they do.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
you ever see rocky where he ties a line from one side of his room to the other and then starts at one end and bob's and weaves under the line until he gets to the end.

do that!

uit helped me.....for thai boxing though bend more at the knees rather then your body since catching a knee while bent over is not fun.

darthcual

White Belt
Reaction score
you ever see rocky where he ties a line from one side of his room to the other and then starts at one end and bob's and weaves under the line until he gets to the end.

do that!

uit helped me.....for thai boxing though bend more at the knees rather then your body since catching a knee while bent over is not fun.

I agree. Move the knees not the body. Bending down while doing Thai boxing is not a good idea. Expect expensive dental work if you move into a knee. Footwork is also vital to making it where you can hit your opponent and he can't hit you.

OP
O

oddball

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, our class on tuesday was perfect opportunity to practice - it was focused on just jabbing and defense, so I tried a few things.
Bent knees more, twisted waist more, tried to bob up and down more, etc. etc. I had been forgetting to tuck my chin into my shoulder when I punch, and lastly - my hands were coming too far out making it easy to counter me (I kept biting thumb on right glove just to be sure it stayed in right area).

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just try not to bite the other guy's glove when you fight! Could be more painful for you!
Good stuff!!

Latest Discussions