Hawaiian Karate Dojos

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have two very good friends who live in Hawaii and their son is interested in Karate. Thus far, they have tried to get him into TKD but he wasn't into that because, in his words, "it didn't seem like real karate."

Which is true.

And when they spoke to me a few weeks ago on their annual visit to Minnesota, I told them so. I also told them that they should be able to find a top notch karate dojo with a very strong lineage in Hawaii. In fact, they probably had more chance of finding top notch instruction in Hawaii then I could in MN.

So, could anyone suggest a karate dojo in Hawaii that would be top notch if you know one? Also, please don't limit this discussion to just Karate. There are so many other Martial Arts that were pretty much introduced to the US through Hawaii that it would be a shame to overlook those.

BTW - My friends live right outside of Honolulu. I get really jealous come around January.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here are some sources for your friend:
You have Zenko Irei in Mililani, Kevin Funakoshi in Waihiawa, Harry Tagomori teaches at
the Japanese Cultural center in Honolulu. Lots of Goju ryu guys in Aiea and Pearl City. If
he is interested in Judo, Gil Watanabe teaches in Pearl City at the elementary school out
there. In Hawaii Kai there is some great Kendo classes as well.

Jann Aki is in Kaneohe..Teaches Goju-Ryu

I hope that helps.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have two very good friends who live in Hawaii and their son is interested in Karate. Thus far, they have tried to get him into TKD but he wasn't into that because, in his words, "it didn't seem like real karate."

Which is true.

And when they spoke to me a few weeks ago on their annual visit to Minnesota, I told them so. I also told them that they should be able to find a top notch karate dojo with a very strong lineage in Hawaii. In fact, they probably had more chance of finding top notch instruction in Hawaii then I could in MN.

So, could anyone suggest a karate dojo in Hawaii that would be top notch if you know one? Also, please don't limit this discussion to just Karate. There are so many other Martial Arts that were pretty much introduced to the US through Hawaii that it would be a shame to overlook those.

BTW - My friends live right outside of Honolulu. I get really jealous come around January.

no sorry I dont. but I would be surprised if you could not find a good dojo and instructor in Hawaii.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chuzo Kotaka and his International karate federation has Shito ryu schools all over the Hawaiin islands. They do both sport and practical karate do. They have two WKF world champions on their teaching staff.
Other than that there are also kenpo/kempo karate schools all over the lslands as well. You will find high level of instruction in just about any style of karate on the Hawaiin islands.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
One more thing, other that going to Japan or Okinawa or Korea directly, Hawaii is considered one of the best places for martial arts instruction. And some of the finest karate instructors in history have taught there and left students there.

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shihan Bobby lowe (8th dan), one of the most respected kyokushin practitioners in the world today is based in Honolulu. A living legend.
Although he dont teach every day anymore, leaving the daily running of his dojo to senior students.

Shihan Bobby Lowe
International Committee Chairman
Branch Chief
e-mail: [email protected]

There are a couple of other kyokushin dojos on Hawaii aswell, but I dont know where.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info guys. I'll put it together and pass it on in a letter. Now, if you would please check out some of the places that I have been able to research and get back to me, that would be much appreciated.

Here is the first one...

http://www.hawaiikaratedo.com/

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think your friends would let us come out and stay with them to check the schools so that we can recommend a good one? Just a thought lol! I've heard too that there are very good martial artists in Hawaii.One of my favourite actors/martial artist is John Dacascos, I believe his father taught/teaches there.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you think your friends would let us come out and stay with them to check the schools so that we can recommend a good one? Just a thought lol! I've heard too that there are very good martial artists in Hawaii.One of my favourite actors/martial artist is John Dacascos, I believe his father taught/teaches there.

Oh believe me, Tez, I'm thinking about planning a little exploratory committee. Just don't know how much training I'll get in between beaches and sushi.

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can contact Mr. Goodin at his website: www.seinenkai.com
He is very active in the preservation of Karate, especially that which
traveled through Hawaii. He is a Matsubayashi-ryu Sensei and has
many contacts.

Good luck!

Edit: Just saw the Hikari link. Sorry to repeat post.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
That dojo is from the Matsubayashi Shorin ryu lineage. Master Shinzato was a student of Shinyei Kyan and Shoshin Nagamine, if memory serves me right.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't train there or in this style, but I have nothing but respect for what Mr. Iverson built. And I am sure it will continue on.

Hawaiian Kajukenbo Association
Mililani Recreational Center V
95-1011 Ainamakua Drive
Mililani, HI 96789-5389

Main: (808) 626-2807
Cell: (808) 222-3860 (for emergency)
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.hawaiiankajukenbo.com

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
That dojo is from the Matsubayashi Shorin ryu lineage. Master Shinzato was a student of Shinyei Kyan and Shoshin Nagamine, if memory serves me right.

OK I was going by the fact he mentioned hanshi sokan first and then nagamine after. so I thought he had more time from sokan then under shoshin Nagamine. either way those two are very very good instructors.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
He would mention Soken Hohan Hanshi first. Soken was Nagamine's senior in karate and shinzato's first influence. Nice catch.

Latest Discussions