Has anyone ever started a martial art club at high school?

J

J-kid

Just curious i might look into starting one but its a long shot,
And i know they have judo at some schools like my own and they have wrestling, but i mean like striking arts.

OP
S

Shinzu

no but i have seen this happen by outside instructors. depending on the amount of students interested, this could be a good thing. but then again you will always have the bruce lee sounds coming at ya if it is done during the day..

ours was done in the evening so there were no distractions. it went over rather well.

OP
R

RCastillo

I never got an answer from my Principal. Probably because I don't take any crap from those people. They don't like teachers who stand up for themselves.

OP
S

Shinzu

yeah they want you to teach the people, but yhey don't want a hard *** doing it... what's the point then, go figure???

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This seems like a really good idea though. I started karate when I was 13, so by the time I was in highschool, it would have been cool to have had a group interested in the same thing. Have you progressed any further on this idea?

:asian: :karate:

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember the only Martial Art I did at school was Judo and that was at primary school every Monday morning and it was a big class! My mum got me to do it but I didn't pick things up so quickly!
When I got to secondary school, that was the end of my Martial Arts lessons and how cool it would have been to have been learning another Martial Art while I was still young but it was only recently I started learning Kung fu at the age of 21! I know Universities have a lot of extra curricular activities and include Martial Arts and not just for the students but aswell as the general public!
I think alot of the reasons why Martial Arts aren't brought into schools is because there isn't enough time and no free training areas as they are all taken up with other night courses for adults!

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can also start a martial arts club at university as well. I've seen it doen, it works pretty well if there is a large student base.

7sm

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
You can also start a martial arts club at university as well. I've seen it doen, it works pretty well if there is a large student base.

7sm

I just wished my school could have incorporated Martial arts as extra curricular activities! Its good to start a Martial Art as young as possible I believe as its great for character building especially making you less of a target for bullies. BUt living in the world we do, I think I would want to keep my Martial Arts training a secret from as many people as I can.

OP
B

Black Bear

My elementary school phys ed teacher used to teach karate on saturdays. IIRC he was removed because of allegations of sexual misconduct.

Universities usually have a couple of MA clubs at least. In very multicultural ones such as ours, there is enough critical mass that there are also informal gatherings of people during their breaks to cross-train and spar.

A (much younger) friend of mine started a group at his school. They'd book off a room, practice stuff, and digitally video little choreographed fights. On the rare occasion that someone intruded on their space, they were literally kicked out.

OP
M

moving target

Some highschools may have a problem with a MA class for legal reasons depending on what you are doing and the chances of getting hurt. But there is also can be a diffenence between a school club and a club that uses school facilities.

I havn't seen any in highschools but plenty in universities and community colleges

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

It's funny this question was posted. I'm currently trying to start a club at the high school I teach at. My approach is going to be more focused on improving academics and personal character. Our school district is big on character education. Of course it's going to be about martial arts, but my hope is that promoting academics and character will get my consideration in the door.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest Discussions